Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

I have to say something here, because I can't say it on FB. 

I have a long time acquaintance who just made a post about how he tries to be a good person. I read it and laughed out loud.  Why?

Because for the twenty years I've known him, he has pined after a mutual friend, and two years ago finally managed to get her to leave her husband for him.  Despite being repeatedly told that he needs to just forget her by multiple people multiple times over the decades. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 7

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I have to say something here, because I can't say it on FB. 

I have a long time acquaintance who just made a post about how he tries to be a good person. I read it and laughed out loud.  Why?

Because for the twenty years I've known him, he has pined after a mutual friend, and two years ago finally managed to get her to leave her husband for him.  Despite being repeatedly told that he needs to just forget her by multiple people multiple times over the decades. 

I've always said that if you have to try to be a good person, you've got some major issues. I'm not saying that I'm some saint, nor am I saying that everyone is perfect all of the time, but I've found it's not hard to be a at least halfway decent human being. If you're "struggling" to be "good" you need to either find yourself a really good therapist or a better church (or something).

Oh. And my neighbor has already started being loud. Not as loud as yesterday, but I think she's trying to provoke me into doing something rash. Joke's on her, I'm going to bed and I'm so tired, I'll sleep like the dead.

• Like 6

My attempt at a positive outlook is already being severely threatened and it's not even 10:00 yet. 

Employee N has been whining about wanting new office furniture for a couple of years. She's already gotten new furniture a couple of times during that timespan. She also want it rearranged every 6 months or so. Now that I'm the one in charge of ordering office furniture, this has fallen into my lap. I've been going the rounds with her about this since I think June, and it's involved several different supervisors and I forget how many different furniture companies (I say you can order from these options from this vendor, she comes back with something totally different usually from a completely unheard of vendor). She then complains that she doesn't know what options are okay for her to order from. 

No, you know perfectly well, you just don't like the answer, so you either try these shenanigans with someone new or else you go off into left field and act confused when you're told no for the umpteenth time.

Between her current supervisor and myself, I thought we finally managed to box her into an acceptable option. She just sent back links to some of the acceptable furniture, but on a different website, and adding a bunch of additional items that were not discussed. 

I'm done. I've reached my limit. I want to throw things and scream NO! so badly. Instead, I sent an email to her supervisor: "She can pick between Desk A with bookshelf or Desk B with bookshelf. If she doesn't like either one, she will keep her current furniture and the matter will be closed." Which is a lot more civil than my first couple of responses that I typed out and deleted. 

EDIT: Oh great, now she's scheduled a meeting about it this afternoon. Too bad, I think I'm going to be washing my hair at that time. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot 🙂

Edited by OneBoot
  • Sad 12

@OneBoot 😢  I can commiserate.

My positive attitude has waned as well.   I finally got backed into checking in the returns I've been putting off since I returned from vacation in June, and am having to deal with the exact reason I put them off for - our distributors like to just dump everything in one big box, slap one or two of our return numbers on the box, and let us figure out what goes to what when we get them.  Half the circuit boards I'm dealing with don't even have any sort of tag that says what the problem is. 

I have four boxes from one distributor in particular with returns that appear to go back as far as 2017. 

• Sad 10

I actually am having a decent day. Three hour program management review went smoothly and I was doing CAD during it as I was not strictly involved in the process. Now at her surgical followup (1.5 years post op).  Then groceries. Might put in a bit of more work this afternoon. Might not. 

• Like 9

Just keep getting hammered away at. Still trying to stay positive, though. 

Twice this week already, we've had someone call up wanting changes made to their system, only to discover their systems are so old that their remote access is still dial up, which we haven't supported for 3-4 years now.  Two different sites on the opposite sides of Canada. 

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

@OneBoot 😢  I can commiserate.

My positive attitude has waned as well.   I finally got backed into checking in the returns I've been putting off since I returned from vacation in June, and am having to deal with the exact reason I put them off for - our distributors like to just dump everything in one big box, slap one or two of our return numbers on the box, and let us figure out what goes to what when we get them.  Half the circuit boards I'm dealing with don't even have any sort of tag that says what the problem is. 

I have four boxes from one distributor in particular with returns that appear to go back as far as 2017. 

If it was me, I would return all the undocumented items to the distributor with a note on each stating "documentation missing, unable to proceed".

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

If it was me, I would return all the undocumented items to the distributor with a note on each stating "documentation missing, unable to proceed".

Can't. Distributor owes money, is currently on credit hold. They are more valuable in our hands than sending them back, despite how annoying things are. This is supposed to help bring their accounts up to date - these are circuit boards that were supposed to be returned as part of board swaps. 

Finally got forced into it today because distributor is refusing to pay his bill because he says he has a lot of outstanding credits due to them because of these returns.

As I near finishing getting through them, I can see they will account for less than 5% of their outstanding balance, and I am sure a whole new round of arguments will appear.  On the plus side, I have now managed to close out all but two of their open RMAs, despite none of the serial numbers lining up to the ones they should have been.  That tends to happen when you have six years worth of stuff being returned all willy nilly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Time for Tales of the Aerospace Engineer!

I had my subcontractor fail a vibration test. The mass sim had some resonance that damaged a test unit so much that it wasn’t able to be used in any further testing. Been a thorn in my side for over a month as I tried to find time to work the problem. 

Today was “big meeting” day without needing me. So spent the meeting mocking up what I thought might make the mass sim stiffer and not have those resonances. 

I am maybe too good at my job. 

The computer analysis cannot find any frequency that my design would vibrate at. That seems incredibly unlikely but I have never seen it fail at something like this. Cool part is the fix replaces a single part with a length of pipe with two plates welded to the end. Done. That’s it. Maybe $100 if that. Well, okay, aerospace so add a zero. Still super cheap in comparison.

Gonna go polish it a bit, find a standard size and such. But I am a bit stunned and skeptical.

In short, had a fun day. 

Oh, and surgical follow up was completely green. She’ll be hitting two years post cancer surgery which is a significant milestone if I remember correctly. Always fun seeing the camera’s view of her nasal passages and the sounds she makes. But don’t tell her that. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, OneBoot said:

My attempt at a positive outlook is already being severely threatened and it's not even 10:00 yet. 

Employee N has been whining about wanting new office furniture for a couple of years. She's already gotten new furniture a couple of times during that timespan. She also want it rearranged every 6 months or so. Now that I'm the one in charge of ordering office furniture, this has fallen into my lap. I've been going the rounds with her about this since I think June, and it's involved several different supervisors and I forget how many different furniture companies (I say you can order from these options from this vendor, she comes back with something totally different usually from a completely unheard of vendor). She then complains that she doesn't know what options are okay for her to order from. 

No, you know perfectly well, you just don't like the answer, so you either try these shenanigans with someone new or else you go off into left field and act confused when you're told no for the umpteenth time.

Between her current supervisor and myself, I thought we finally managed to box her into an acceptable option. She just sent back links to some of the acceptable furniture, but on a different website, and adding a bunch of additional items that were not discussed. 

I'm done. I've reached my limit. I want to throw things and scream NO! so badly. Instead, I sent an email to her supervisor: "She can pick between Desk A with bookshelf or Desk B with bookshelf. If she doesn't like either one, she will keep her current furniture and the matter will be closed." Which is a lot more civil than my first couple of responses that I typed out and deleted. 

EDIT: Oh great, now she's scheduled a meeting about it this afternoon. Too bad, I think I'm going to be washing my hair at that time. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot 🙂

Tag me in, BootBoot. Papa Pez needs to do a schoolin'.

• Like 8