Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Twice this week already, we've had someone call up wanting changes made to their system, only to discover their systems are so old that their remote access is still dial up, which we haven't supported for 3-4 years now.  Two different sites on the opposite sides of Canada

Tell them the first step in the process of getting the change made is for them to purchase a new in the box dial-up modem, which they will ship to you so that you could communicate with their site. 

(Obviously they will fail. But they need to learn this the hard way. Asking someone who knows —the easy way to learn things— is not working for them.)

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, TGP said:

Tell them the first step in the process of getting the change made is for them to purchase a new in the box dial-up modem, which they will ship to you so that you could communicate with their site. 

(Obviously they will fail. But they need to learn this the hard way. Asking someone who knows —the easy way to learn things— is not working for them.)

If only it were that simple. 

Last time I had to buy a new modem (about 5 years ago), I had to buy three different models to find one that would work with both my PC and our old dial up point of sale modem. Four or so years ago, I was the last one with a working modem and phone line.   That's why when that modem of mine failed 2-3 years ago, decisions were made to no longer support dial up.  Sites were notified.  When my phone company contract was up, my landline was disconnected*. 

So they would have to buy multiple modems, so I could find one that worked AND have my landline reinstalled. And I've upgraded to windows 11 since then - not sure if that would make things better or worse. 

The one site has decided to buy the necessary cables and adapters to directly connect a PC to the site controller via a serial port, and we will set up an appointment to remote into their laptop via a cellular hotspot to make the changes they need.

The other site hasn't made any decisions yet. 

*ok, technically, I still have a landline. My home internet from the phone company costs the same with/without a landline, so I kept the landline - just had the phone company change the number.  No one knows that (except you guys, now), and I'd like to keep it that way. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, TGP said:

If by some quirk they do manage to locate a new in the box dial up modem that is compatible, and ship it to you, you need to have another roadblock ready to put in place.

This should be a Dedicated Dial Up Line, which they will need to pay for, since you "no longer have a land line"on your end, so their modem doesn't get knocked offline by faster traffic coming down the line.  This assumes they already have a dedicated line on their end.

Just make sure this landline is from a different provider than the one who makes your extremely private line available.

• Like 5

Update on my drama before I leave for work:

The manager sent an email yesterday, saying they heard "talking on the phone from an open window." Not only is that highly unlikely (we were having a monsoon over here, and the gutter dumps rain into a giant puddle right by the window, so I very much doubt the window was open that day), the noise was CLEARLY music, but I also have a recording of music coming up from the floor... Less than an hour after the email was sent. So guess what time it is?

It's Lawyer Time!

Edited by CaptainPete
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 7

13 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

a combination Liquor Store, Subway, U-Haul AND Car Wash. 

…In Canada ?

~I did not know this was a thing. 
~What could possibly go wrong..?

~How is a Liquor Store still on dial-up?

• Like 5