Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

On 12/16/2023 at 12:25 AM, Humansquish said:

So...... Can I get a new chair? 🙂

If Humansquish gets a new chair, I want a new desk!

On 12/17/2023 at 10:08 AM, Chaoswolf said:

@TGP---yes, it's Spectrum

I have never lived in an area served by Spectrum, and yet I've had enough dealings with them that I can't stand them. 

Right after Thanksgiving, local customer tells me that he wants to install the latest batch of six new tellers he received before the end of the year.  

Knowing he had to arrange bricklayers AND electricians, and that we were getting a cold front, I told him I could only do it IF we were done by the 14th, because as of the 15th, I'm on my holiday schedule, and will NOT be doing any site visits until after the new year. 

I figured that was the end of it. 

I was wrong. 

So last week I was either out of the office, in the office trying to at least meet the obligations I had already made, or recovering from the stress after work. Had to put my foot down on Thursday afternoon and tell them that they needed to get their act together and figure out the remaining issues on their own. I had confirmed that the hardware was fine, everything else remaining was configuration out of my control. Told management in Calgary that if they needed someone to go to site in the next two weeks, they better plan on flying in someone from Calgary, because I ain't going. 

On Friday, we picked my son up from the airport - he's home on two weeks leave (and why I said I'm not doing any site visits). It's been nice having him home, in all but one regard. 

After having his permit for three years, he scheduled his driving test for his license this Wednesday.  On Saturday, he both tells us this, then admits to us that he hasn't gotten behind the wheel of a car the entire time he's been at Bangor.  So it's been a crash (well, not literally...yet...) course in driving practice.

I'm a little concerned about him actually getting a license, but then I know that he'll only wind up driving government vehicles on a military base for at least a while.  

So it is really more of a worry about taxpayer assets than public safety. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

• Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Serenity said:

It looks like the paints they made for a promo this month ran out already, as I don't see them listed and they aren't being offered as promo items anymore.

Well, the paints that weren't showing up in the checkout page as promos started showing up again.  I saw two of them listed there a few minutes ago.

• Like 6

On 12/17/2023 at 10:08 AM, Chaoswolf said:

@TGP---yes, it's Spectrum

Ever since I moved into my current home in 2017, we've only had 1 option for high speed internet, and that was AT&T fiber (and wireless, but that's not really an option)
About two months ago, Spectrum started laying lines in the neighborhood.  Since then, not a day has gone by without another post on the neighborhood bookyface page about damage their installation crews have caused.  They've cut water lines, sprinkler systems, power lines, their opposition's fiber lines.  They have torn entire swaths of yard out, and they're installing these obnoxiously green 3 foot tall pedestals every 2 houses where they're junctioning their lines. (because the flush mounts were too expensive)

And while, yes, I actually appreciate now having OPTIONS for internet, I'm not very fond of spectrum at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Cygnwulf said:

And while, yes, I actually appreciate now having OPTIONS for internet, I'm not very fond of spectrum at the moment.

We had them for a while back when they were called Time Warner, and their billing and customer service were just as awful.  I would avoid them at any cost. 

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Yeaaaah. Drama. Writing world. Sun powers. The web's search engines are missing on several cylinders and providing no context.

No need to provide one. Just an observation.

It's Twitter drama, that's why I was being a bit vague. The TL;DR is that there's a writer who's trying to claim that all characters with "sun powers" are infringing on her "ownership" of those powers, as her WIP has said powers. In a huge misunderstanding of copyright and trademark and just plain common sense.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, CaptainPete said:

It's Twitter drama, that's why I was being a bit vague. The TL;DR is that there's a writer who's trying to claim that all characters with "sun powers" are infringing on her "ownership" of those powers, as her WIP has said powers. In a huge misunderstanding of copyright and trademark and just plain common sense.

Must be a GW lawyer...

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

26 minutes ago, CaptainPete said:

17 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Must be a GW lawyer...

Considering that Superman gets his powers from the sun, as shown in Superman 2 in the 1980s, and probably goes back even further, yeaaaaaah.

• Like 7