Chaoswolf

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

ow3z0r3mw5x91.jpg

What did this guy -DO- to get told to clear several tons of snow off that roof with a hand shovel..?

Somebody must have lividly hated this guy!

Wow!

The internet has a snow weight calculator! It came up with an estimated “936,418.3 lbs (424,752.7 kg)” of snow on the roof in that picture. 

• Like 9

Every once in a while, a thought grabs me and I have to satisfy my curiosity about the idea until it’s dead. This morning was such a day. 

I think Drake’s equation for determining the number of planets currently harboring intelligent life is off. Doesn’t consider things I feel will become requirements for life and intelligence to evolve as the issue is studied more, such as being a near double planet (Hello, Luna). So I did a calc and it’s between 4 and 15 planets with intelligent life currently.

Assuming those are distributed at the center of a circular sector, than means the nearest alien we could hope to call at some point is between 6,000 and 19,000 light years from us, orbiting one of over 26 million stars in “their” segment of the galaxy. Talk about a needle in a haystack!

Now that I have depressed myself with determining that the likelihood of me seeing a discovery of others is basically nil, I guess I should do some work-related work. Thank you all for coming to my ED-209 Talk.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Every once in a while, a thought grabs me and I have to satisfy my curiosity about the idea until it’s dead. This morning was such a day. 

I think Drake’s equation for determining the number of planets currently harboring intelligent life is off. Doesn’t consider things I feel will become requirements for life and intelligence to evolve as the issue is studied more, such as being a near double planet (Hello, Luna). So I did a calc and it’s between 4 and 15 planets with intelligent life currently.

Assuming those are distributed at the center of a circular sector, than means the nearest alien we could hope to call at some point is between 6,000 and 19,000 light years from us, orbiting one of over 26 million stars in “their” segment of the galaxy. Talk about a needle in a haystack!

Now that I have depressed myself with determining that the likelihood of me seeing a discovery of others is basically nil, I guess I should do some work-related work. Thank you all for coming to my ED-209 Talk.

If it helps cheer you up, remember that Stephen Hawking said that aliens would be likely to wipe us out of we ever met any.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

LinkedIn likes to send me job openings that match my qualifications and experience. For some reason, it decided to send me a “weapons designer” opening at a company I never heard of before so I was intrigued and clicked. 

Video games. It’s a job for an animation artist to design weapons for Destiny by Bungie. That’s not really what I do LinkedIn, but thanks for the laugh. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 9
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

LinkedIn likes to send me job openings that match my qualifications and experience. For some reason, it decided to send me a “weapons designer” opening at a company I never heard of before so I was intrigued and clicked. 

Video games. It’s a job for an animation artist to design weapons for Destiny by Bungie. That’s not really what I do LinkedIn, but thanks for the laugh. 

might as well take it, they've been recycling models so much this year you could probably make any nonsense you feel like. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Pegazus said:

Yeah, that's kind of why I nuked my LinkedIn.  Even with emails off it would still be all "hey, we think you'll like this office job!" and I was all "unless it's vibration testing the structural integrity of a building" I'm not interested.  Jobs with low physical activity makes my hyperactivity go into overdrive, and I can literally vibrate a desk... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

21 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Having to rely on other people to be my eyes, ears and hands is incredibly frustrating, but there's no way around it. 

I feel this frustration.  Half my service calls today require me to consult with people at the factory in Calgary, and no one is responding to me in a timely matter. 😠🤬🤬

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1