Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

• Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Mad Jack said:

Well, somebody's been sweeping up around the factory, lol - my latest order came with a spare bane larva from Bones V... ::D:

The curmudgeon in me says these "little extra's" are a way for Reaper to reduce the amount of landfill generated by them.

• Like 9

::chuckling::

Site calls in, tells the dispatcher that none of the local distributors can get a tech to her site today, and she needs to get her two bays running before the weekend.  Won't take no for an answer, so dispatcher asks me if I'll talk to her. I reluctantly agree. 

While I'm waiting for the call to be forwarded, I'm mentally reviewing my strategy - I'm going to start off by asking for a credit card number, and then start asking her a bunch of technical questions that most site owners/managers can't deal with. If she can deal with those questions, it will probably be a simple call, plus I'll have secured payment for it. Phone rings, I answer it. 

Before I can say anything past "This is Chris", she starts going over her problem and what she did - I can't get a word in edgewise as she babbles on - she's probably hoping that if she tells me the problem, I'll take pity on her and give her an answer.  As she tells her tale - figuratively vomiting it out - I'm putting together her symptoms along with my knowledge of the equipment I work on, and realize that I don't really need to say anything yet, that her problem is most likely an interface issue, and not something I can even help her with. 

So after 3.5 minutes of her spewing out her story, I ask her one question. And I get the answer I hoped for/thought I would get. My equipment is doing everything it's supposed to do, it's just not turning on the pump stand (which is a different manufacturer). 

Me: "Ma'am, I can't help you. That's an interface problem, and it's probably going to require an onsite tech.  And even if it doesn't require someone onsite, it's going to require someone who is both knowledgeable with our board and the pump stand wiring. That means the installing distributor is your best bet."

Her: "Is there anything you can help me with?"

(we talk about fuses for a minute)

Me: "Well, if it's not the fuses, then the only way I could help you is if I were to come to site and personally see your pump stand. Since there are over 100 pump stand manufacturers, and probably ten times that many different models, I would need to be hands on. Minimum charge for that is $2500, and requires two weeks advance booking." 

She hung up quite disappointed. 

I am probably going to reach out to her distributor later on and ask if they were really too busy to make it the site, or if this one of those sites that has problems with paying bills on time. Being a Friday, it could either or both. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 5

9 hours ago, GoldenPiggy said:

Apparently it is Shark Week here on the Reaper forums.  A few months early, but that's all right.  Also, I have just learned there is an entire Reddit community for shark memes, because of course there is.

I would try it.  Why not.  And in related news, my four-year-old daughter discovered this morning that she likes to dunk Cinnamon Toast Crunch in ketchup, so Sausage Toast Crunch is probably right up her alley.

Grump likes fennel sausage.

This couldn't be any worse.

Just got a "Reapermini.com checking if you're human" message.

Ack ack! Ack ack, ack ack!

So there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Just got a "Reapermini.com checking if you're human" message.

Ack ack! Ack ack, ack ack!

So there!

Spoilered due to a NSFW word:

Spoiler

48d2c79cf7cd6fb853fac32f3c14e37a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Yeah, I got that "checking for human" thing earlier. Now I'm trying to post a show off thread and I can't upload pictures. Tried both the desktop and my phone but got the same error that the upload failed. Looks like there's something funky with my account or the website.

I'll note that the files have been shrunk, so not file size. And it happens with any picture I choose.

• Sad 6

Anyone with DIRECTV:

Have you install the new Gemini receiver to your existing Genie receiver? If so have you or are you having problems with connectivity between the receiver & your dish connection?

I install the Gemini a couple weeks ago & we've had nothing but problems with it. It wants to drop connection & now we are getting some sorta connection error between in & the main receiver. I had problems when I initially installed it as the instructions were less then stellar. I need to contact DTV, but since I'm not the primary person on the account, it's a royal PiTA to deal with them.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

42 minutes ago, haldir said:

Anyone with DIRECTV:

Have you install the new Gemini receiver to your existing Genie receiver? If so have you or are you having problems with connectivity between the receiver & your dish connection?

I install the Gemini a couple weeks ago & we've had nothing but problems with it. It wants to drop connection & now we are getting some sorta connection error between in & the main receiver. I had problems when I initially installed it as the instructions were less then stellar. I need to contact DTV, but since I'm not the primary person on the account, it's a royal PiTA to deal with them.

I've had that problem with a couple of the businesses we deal with, wife signed us up but I'm the one who actually pays the bill.

Don't have problems any more since I've informed them that if they want to get paid, they deal with me, so please put a note in the file that I'm not just the secondary subscriber but The Person Who Actually Pays The Bill.

Addendum:  In these situation dealing with the front line drones only wastes your time, so as soon as you explain who you are, ask for a supervisor.  If the first supervisor starts giving you static go to their supervisor.  By the time you get to this level you should actually have somebody on the other end of the line with a functioning brain, capable of acting without having a script tell them what to do.

Edited by Green Eyed Monsty
  • Like 5