Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

2 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

So, basically, they're paying you a lot of money to go show up and "supervise"?

Look at it like this - there's a plane ride, right? And nothing to do outside of business hours?

Catch up on your sleep. Be lazy.

Catch up on all those books you meant to read. I read the first Harry Potter book on a trip to Witchita, Kansas and the second one on the way back, because they happened to be selling them at one of the stores in the airport...

If you've got room in your luggage for one of the Reaper plastic cases, bring some hobby stuff to work on.

Hell, find a local toy store and buy a plastic model to work on.

Yeah, books will be packed. Hobby stuff maybe not so much. Probably going to have 14+ hour days to cover both shifts, but would have Sunday off. Guess what the game and hobby stores don’t do on Sundays? Open. Oh, the video game stores seem to, but not the mom n pop places.

Might see what it would take to see some sights. Last trip I toured a National Forest nearby. Seemed more like a plain rural area to me. 

Another thought is to see if there are any family graves I can go visit. May be too far for those as well. 

• Like 7

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

A Little 10-year-old girl was walking home, alone, from school one day, when a big man on a black motorcycle pulls up beside her.

After following along for a while, turns to her and asks,

"Hey there little girl, do you want to go for a ride?"

"NO!" says the little girl as she keeps on walking.

The motorcyclist again pulls up beside her and asks,

"Hey little girl, I will give you $10 if you hop on the back."

"NO!" says the little girl again as she hurries down the street.

The motorcyclist pulls up beside the little girl again and says,

"Okay kid, my last offer! I'll give you 20 Bucks "and" a Big Bag of Candy if you will just hop on the back of my bike and we will go for a ride."

Finally, the little girl stops and turns towards him and Screams Out...

"Look Dad" "You're the one who bought the Honda instead of the Harley... YOU RIDE IT!!".......

Harley? Blech 🤮

26 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Maybe our Aussie Friends can help out with a location for this.

Pic was captioned "Remote Area of outback Australia."

Remote-area-of-outback-Australia.jpg.1f22c7d8e56f4d7682d5ef9e81e82b5a.jpg

GEM

You think we're going to reveal our secrets to the rest of the world? The dropbears wouldn't like that at all...

• Haha 8

8 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Oh bugger. My favorite Thai place has closed up, citing dwindling business since COVID, and poor parking availability. (They picked a trendy part of town to open in)  This is the place I started going to ~5 years ago when the mom and pop Chinese place shut down.  

Time to find a new restaurant to kill. 😒

Same thing is happening here  first Covid, then inflation and ridicilously high energy prices.

Many small business owners like bakers, snackbars and butchers went down and now one of our favorite restaurants as well.

• Sad 7

1 hour ago, Pegazus said:

Yeah, books will be packed. Hobby stuff maybe not so much. Probably going to have 14+ hour days to cover both shifts, but would have Sunday off. Guess what the game and hobby stores don’t do on Sundays? Open. Oh, the video game stores seem to, but not the mom n pop places.

Might see what it would take to see some sights. Last trip I toured a National Forest nearby. Seemed more like a plain rural area to me. 

Another thought is to see if there are any family graves I can go visit. May be too far for those as well. 

I would take a sketch book and try to draw in the downtime. But that’s me. 

With a clipboard and a sketchbook you could make people nervous while they are installing assemblies. I guess?

14+ hours. 
Yipes. 
Hope they are bringing you food. 

You watching is a safety thing? 
Earlier you said you aren’t there to order people around or supervise. Do you call peeps if stuff goes pear shaped? Answer questions?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TGP said:

I would take a sketch book and try to draw in the downtime. But that’s me. 

With a clipboard and a sketchbook you could make people nervous while they are installing assemblies. I guess?

14+ hours. 
Yipes. 
Hope they are bringing you food. 

You watching is a safety thing? 
Earlier you said you aren’t there to order people around or supervise. Do you call peeps if stuff goes pear shaped? Answer questions?

Eh, since I will be near hopefully safed solid rocket fuel, not sure a pencil or clip board would be a good idea. Probably fine but I have aerospace paranoia around things that are designed to eventually go boom.

Food? That’s something I must bring in. There are no restaurants within ten miles of the facility. And that one is a Subway. Next one is thirty miles out. Vending machines don’t exist. Lunch will be whatever I can bring in that doesn’t need refrigeration and dinner will be whatever is open once we finish. At least Waffle House will be close. I have tried convincing them to bring in those big racing team RVs, along with a caterer, but they haven’t gone for it. 

Your last guess nailed it. I will be there to answer questions on the chance that something doesn’t go right together or any other issue pops up. And since they would want me to see things, being a classified area, photographs take days to get approval to be sent over. So they send us engineers, and we twiddle our thumbs, then go hit the hotel bar (on our own dime). Management is not happy with Manufacturing, since support is constantly being asked for but when engineering support gets provided, there’s not really anything to actually support.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, TGP said:

How old is she?  If you had to guess..?

I was told she is 8 yrs old. 

41 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

I have aerospace paranoia around things that are designed to eventually go boom.

Hopefully nothing booms until it's supposed to.  Waffle House is usually pretty good.  I don't know if they are still 24/7. 

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Inarah said:
1 hour ago, Pegazus said:

I have aerospace paranoia around things that are designed to eventually go boom.

Hopefully nothing booms until it's supposed to.

And that it does go boom when and how it is supposed to.

Edited by sumbloke
Removing nested quote
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

And we have a new kitty.  She's very shy. I got her through the Humane Society.  She's a pretty little thing, but she was so scared and depressed at the shelter I had to bring her home. 

IMG_20221127_130329857.jpg.67d7e110552991cf8a9e2b9249115d30.jpg

Details?

Vital Statistics?

Somebody has a very intense look on their face.

Not quite a frowny face but with a little nudge it could go there.

GEM

• Like 5

G.R.F.F.N Food Log:

Stardate: 20221128

…Captain's Log: G.R.F.F.N has accidentally invented a new food item. The Belgian-Italian PBJ.

C9C761FB-BA0F-4516-9E9D-D8387E9CBECD.thumb.jpeg.49f5e4e7b3023b04a38df1b0d324e66a.jpeg

Blackberry Fruit Spread (black)

Orange Marmalade (yellow)

Strawberry Fruit Spread** (red)

…with Peanut Butter on Italian bread. 

(The flag of Belgium is Black/Yellow/Red.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 8