Mantic TerrainCrate 3: Bring The Background To The Foreground

Guyra

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"And an early bird pledge with two crates and a gaming mat of your choice to give you a simple one-click instant gaming table!"

So click Guyra's link to be notified! The battlefield set looks great for sf miniature skirmish games, and certainly is cheaper than GW.

Pics look good, but the soft plastic is on the low end of hobby plastic. Perfectly fine for the table, and this KS should be good if you need a whole bunch at once.  Except for the Reaper cart, the rest in this pic are Mantic. Terra Tiles by Ravenkeep, and buildings by Epix Haven (OOP?).

EDIT: Well, the EB only saves you $5, and it's gonna be $150 for two crates (45 pieces each) and a battlemat. I don't play much sf, so won't need the plants. Will pick up the Battle crate at retail, I guess?

Shipping:

UK: £6-10 (depending upon amount of Crates)

USA (shipping hub): £10-15 (depending upon amount of Crates)

Europe (shipping hub): £10-£30 (depending upon amount of Crates)

Canada (shipping hub): £10-18 (depending upon amount of Crates)

Australia/New Zealand (shipping hub): £15-30 (depending upon amount of Crates)

Rest of World: £15-40 (depending upon amount of Crates)

KS page has larger pics than what would appear in this post:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/manticgames/terraincrate-3-bring-the-background-to-the-foreground/description

fyi, A Dakka Stargrave thread with jungle setups that would use alien plants:

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/798897.page

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 3

KS is now live: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/manticgames/terraincrate-3-bring-the-background-to-the-foreground

It's £50 for a single set, £95 for any two sets, and $125 for any two sets and any one battlemat.

mantic-terraincrate3-a.thumb.jpg.6f378e48537b4c18b107a88ed7d2829c.jpg

mantic-terraincrate3-b.thumb.jpg.2eb9a736940005b3044f98de4556f980.jpg

There are also addons, seemingly with more to come as stretch goals.

I'm in for a single set. Getting those plants!

• Like 3

However 75# ( not sure how this compares to previous crates, it might be in line with retail + inflation of past offerings)# for 1 crate and shipping is a bit daunting. The flora one doesn't look like that much, and they seem to want you to stack stuff, so you'd be getting 3 big mushrooms and a couple of big jungle plants? Doesn't feel worthwhile to me.

Also confusing is the multiple crates option. Will they be unlocking more? Or does the option include previously released sets. Right now not so clear that its just the sci-fi battle field and plants options.

Not quite what I was hoping for.

• Like 3

The campaign has already reached its minimum funding, in just over an hour! 😄

This stretch goal has been unlocked:

image.png.812b967a779dd43e224ccd63f2ef8ad7.png

And rapidly moving towards the next stretch goal:

image.png.6caf60528ae27f5a6a68fd608e676318.png

The plants can be put together to make trees, or used on their own:

image.png.abb06b32ec27d274c9698590cdcf78df.png

46 minutes ago, lexomatic said:

However 75# ( not sure how this compares to previous crates, it might be in line with retail + inflation of past offerings)# for 1 crate and shipping is a bit daunting. The flora one doesn't look like that much, and they seem to want you to stack stuff, so you'd be getting 3 big mushrooms and a couple of big jungle plants? Doesn't feel worthwhile to me.

Whether you want to stack the plants or not is up to you. They can also just be used as is. You could glue them together if you want to. Personally, I think I'll just keep the pieces separate, and potentially just use sticky tack if I ever want to use them on top of each other. It's completely up to you how you want to use them. 🙂

They're also rather large. Here's a tree you can see in one of their videos, made up of four flora pieces:

mantic-terraincrate3-treesize.thumb.JPG.95ead0568aede73269bf6d9ab7e153e6.JPG

From the looks of it, it seems you're getting more plastic for your buck than in the Bones 6 $50 expansion sets, for example. And that's before they've added stretch goals.😉 Of course, whether you consider it worth it or not is dependant on what you personally value. But I figured I'd at least try and clear up what seemed like a couple of misunderstandings. 🙂

46 minutes ago, lexomatic said:

Also confusing is the multiple crates option. Will they be unlocking more? Or does the option include previously released sets. Right now not so clear that its just the sci-fi battle field and plants options.

Not quite what I was hoping for.

Yeah, I agree, this is a bit confusing. There seems to be the two for now, plus some addons that are their own thing? With more addons to come. I think the addons will basically be like "smaller crates"? 

Edited by Guyra
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Guyra said:

Whether you want to stack the plants or not is up to you. They can also just be used as is. You could glue them together if you want to. Personally, I think I'll just keep the pieces separate, and potentially just use sticky tack if I ever want to use them on top of each other. It's completely up to you how you want to use them.

Seems to me that this would be a good place to use magnets. 

• Like 5

One of the videos in the kickstarter link mentions using magnets. But if you watch the videos, you can see Lonnie going at it in his demos, and everything is quite sturdy. I have minis from this company, and the plastic ones are great. I recommend the mixed undead box. Hard plastic sprues, no soft vinyl stuff. I bought the Terrain Crate campsite a number of years ago--that is one robust tent! The only thing I didn't like was the obscene amount of plastic packaging inside the box. 

I agree that the kickstarter is not as well organized as the original Terrain Crate. Put the stretch goals up for us to see!

• Like 3