Sign in to follow this  
Michael-TLH

The Darakan Chronicles, Part 2

Mykayla quickly dashes about the room gather thier stuff up...loath to leave anything behind "Adia! Grab what small items you can!" She yell to the dragonette...and things are tossed quickly into bags.

Rushing to the window, the scene outside is enough to convince Robert that they need to leave. Everything is in his pack, so he grabs his bow and arrow bag and opens the door, ready for Mykayla to leave once she has everything. Together, they make their way downstairs to the common room, in time to see the Hin preparing to cast.

The tiny Hin has been busy, indeed.

First and foremost, he has used some form of locomotive magicks to clear the common room. Pushing heavy tables to the edges and making traveling easier for egressing those around him.

Fresh cool air meets those who enter the Common room, banishing the smoke that will be arriving shortly. This courtesy provided by the cleanly shattered windows in the Common Room.

The Hin has cleared out those who would be of little use inside the burning structure, instructing them to begin a Bucket Brigade. Such things take moments to begin, and with a little luck the majority of the fire will be contained in this building.

The heat has yet to begin bothering the tiny Wizard. Perhaps his will is enough to simply ignore such problems as heat and food and rest.

Looking up at the Woodsman and the Sorceress, Eldon gives them a tight smile. "Quickly! Outside before that flying lizard gives this place another pass, or Gods help us decided to squash the bulding!"

--LSH

Even as Ilde makes her way down the corridor to make sure all the inn's occupants are aware of the danger and able to get themselves downstairs and out of the burining building, she sees the familiar faces from Stern's party. Once she has checked all the rooms, she is the last to return to the common room, where Eldon is frantically trying to evacuate the building as others bring up buckets of water to keep the fire from spreading.

"Where am I needed, Eldon? There is nobody left up-stairs."

Panic is writ large upon the faces of the peoples of the Woodland Wild as the huge shadow passes overhead. Triumphant upon the back of the Great Wyrm, Jesset's brother cackles and digs his heels into it's scales, urging it to rise higher into the morning sky. Wheeling straight into the sun, nobody below notices the dragon's image winking out, changing into that of an ebon-skinned elf upon a flying carpet.

"What fools... a well-crafted illusion, a well-placed fireball... and panic. How can they be so potentially disruptive to our plans, I wonder?" The dark elf muses out loud.

"Do shut up, won't you. They are nothing without my 'sister' to lead them." Her companion hefts the large blue stone and places it into a specially prepared pouch. "Now be quiet as I cast... lest you want to draw their attention?" He nods his head towards three large shapes growing larger by the second. Swiftly casting he and the drow disappear...

•  •  •   • •  •  •   • •  •  •   • •  •  •   • •  •  •   • •  •  •   • •  •  •   • •  •  •   • •  •  •   • •  •  •   • •  •  •   • •  •  •   •

All is chaos below for several moments before the Companions take a quick count. Only Jesset is missing. Eldon stands in the doorway, urging fleeing patrons to safety. Ilde and Stern stand guard, weapons in easy reach. Cuchullain is surrounded by scores of tiny sprites, most of them weeping and clutching at his robes or tangling themselves in his hair. Robert and Mykayla swiftly move off together, tiny Adia clutching a small bag. Warrick scans the skies, face red with rage.

A troop of centaurs charge up, Woodland elves upon their backs. Quickly spells are cast and the fire and flames diminish, fade and go out, tiny wisps of smoke marking their passage.

The Companions raw nerves nearly betray them as three large shapes wing down. It is not the dragon and friends as they fear, rather it is three enormous white owls, a druid upon each of their backs. They look around and two leap once more into the sky, following trails visible only to their eyes.

The one who remains leaps down and rushes towards the innkeeper.

"Your Majesty. What has happened? Are you well?" He kneels before her, head down.

Shaking, Adelia places a hand on his shoulder and urges him up.

"Get up, child. You know my feelings on bowing and kneeling." With a heavy sigh she pats her hair into place and looks at the devastated inn and tree before them.

"Four hundred years that tree has sheltered me and given me comfort. She will be missed." Tears glisten in her eyes as she looks around. "Our Enemy has grown bold. He seeks to break the Company down. He doesn't realize that the Seven are still seven. Steal one, and another appears." She smiles and nods to Ilde. "Is that not so, Northwoman?"

"Warrick, where's Jess?" asks Robert, concerned at her absence.

"And Stern, who's your friend?" indicating with a nod of the head the warrior woman.

The Aegis sets the innkeeper gently on the ground making sure she is unharmed before he scans the sky above once more for any sign of the giant wyrm he'd spotted only seconds ago. Nothing. Vanished, along with overwhleming sense of evil he had felt when the unexpected attack had begun.

Wha' in tha Seven Hels is happenin'?"

Stern relaxes a bit and slides his short sword back into it's sheath on the back of his thick leather belt. Slowly he draws Karamor, his ancient greatsword, from the sheath on his back. Just in case.

It is then the giant paladin finds himself standing near Ilde, both warriors ready for battle. The northern woman, seemingly no stranger to the chaos of battle and the threat of sudden combat, looks graceful, deadly, and beautiful all at once.

She'll make a fine shieldmaiden indeed. She is one o' tha Companions from this day forth...

Breaking his stare from Ilde, Stern looks to the sky once more. Three large white birds approach with riders. The young paladin tenses for a moment, but soon realizes they pose no threat.

One giant bird, stays on the ground and it's rider approaches the innkeeper..

Stern takes two steps toward Adelia, but stops suddenly as the owl rider kneels before her .

"Your Majesty. What has happened? Are you well?" He kneels before her, head down.

The Aegis of Rockfist, turns to look at the elven innkeeper, "Your Majesty?"

Robert approaches near to where Ilde, Stern, Adelia, the the rest of the Companions have gathered.

"Warrick, where's Jess?" asks Robert, concerned at her absence.

"Yes, Sir Warrick where is tha' blue devil o' yers?", asks the Aegis with an edge of concern creeping into his deep rumbling voice.

"And Stern, who's your friend?" indicating with a nod of the head the warrior woman.

Stern turns away from Warrick before he can answer and looks at Robert, "This ma friend, is Ilde, a barbarian warrior from tha northern dales... Last night, she asked ta join us in our campaign against tha dark elves n' tha undead hoardes. I fer one am glad ta have another warrior amongst our ranks... Ilde, this is Robert one o' tha finest archers in Searoad, n' a master ranger o' tha woodlands", Stern concludes as he gives a quick nod to his trusted friend.

Stern, his concern contuning to mount, looks at the faces of the Companions gathered around him. Jesset, however, is not among them.

SK

Though centaurs with elven riders have now arrived and have cast magic to put out the fires set by the dragon, Ilde still remains prepared for the worst, though the dragon seems to have ceased its attack. When the white owls came bearing their riders, Ilde is not afraid, for in her own lands, the owl is seen as a sign of the blessings of her goddess, and it stands to reason that the elves who live so harmoniously with the land would also be in her goddess' favour, though they may not know it.

Stern takes two steps toward Adelia, but stops suddenly as the owl rider kneels before her . "Your Majesty. What has happened? Are you well?" He kneels before her, head down.

The innkeeper Adelia was completely unlike what Ilde had imagined an elven queen to be, but what she had to say caused Ilde some concern.

"Our Enemy has grown bold. He seeks to break the Company down. He doesn't realize that the Seven are still seven. Steal one, and another appears." She smiles and nods to Ilde. "Is that not so, Northwoman?"

"No.. yes? I was sent here by the village wise-woman, but told little of what I would find. I do not question the wisdom of your seers, but even you know more than I."

Soon after, it becomes apparent that the blue woman of a kind unkown to Ilde with whom she barely made introductions to had gone missing, and now the meaning of the words of Adelia were becoming all-too-clear.

Stern turns away from Warrick before he can answer and looks at Robert, "This ma friend, is Ilde, a barbarian warrior from tha northern dales... Last night, she asked ta join us in our campaign against tha dark elves n' tha undead hoardes. I fer one am glad ta have another warrior amongst our ranks... Ilde, this is Robert one o' tha finest archers in Searoad, n' a master ranger o' tha woodlands", Stern concludes as he gives a quick nod to his trusted friend.

"Well met, Robert of Searoad. I fear my coming has caused all of this. I will do all I can to help you find Jesset the Skoli, your friend."

Turning back to Adelia, she askes with unintentional trepidation, "You spoke of your enemy and how he tries to break the seven. What can you tell me of him?"

So enraged is Warrick that he pays no heed to questions asked or company kept...no matter how esteemed.

"You'll die at my hands!" he screams again at the departing dragon. The Scout's eyes tear freely even as they watch the departing shadow.

Wheeling on Stern with a rabid look, he rages at the Paladin, "He's taken her, Stern! That ____ of a brother of hers has stolen her away!" Returning his glazed eyes to the retreating speck in the sky he adds, "You'll burn in all Nine Hels! My hand will make it so!"

Returning a fierce look upon the young Paladin, Warrick practically snarls, though his tears seem strangely juxtaposed on the enraged mein. As Warrick pulls his cloak about him Stern sees Warrick bears his backpack and Jesset's saddle bags.

"I am going for her," is all he states. As he spins on his heel and walks purposefully to the stables, Stern notes, perhaps for the first time, that the Scout is fully capable of flowing with an assassin's gait.

We shall soon see how you like uninvited visitors..

Warrick melts into invisibility as he draws his magical cloak completely about him, musing murder with each step.

Adelia is about to answer when Warrick begins storming off.

"Hold, Scout."

Smiling at Ilde and Stern she gracefully follows along behind Warrick and touches his shoulder.

"Which direction will you go, friend? Can the Me'er Ailewynn now fly?" She steps around and stares into his eyes, her voice gentle and the touch of her hand light upon his cheek.

"None feel the loss of the Lynx as do I. I Saw it and could do nothing. Like a fool I Saw the inn in flames and cast a protection on the kitchen, not thinking our Enemy would be so daring." She motions to the treehome where only the far southern end stands. "I beg your forgiveness and bid you stay and listen to what I have to say. Above all this... you must not leave your Company. The Fates bid this Northwoman to come down from her halls for a reason... hear now her story and mine." She reaches up and wipes his tears with her thumb, mimicking the gesture on her own cheeks. "Let these tears be mine to shed, for it is my folly which may doom us all."

As Warrick draws his cloak about him, she hangs her head and stares at the ground, tears falling into the earth at her feet.

"No.. yes? I was sent here by the village wise-woman, but told little of what I would find. I do not question the wisdom of your seers, but even you know more than I."

"You say she's joining us, and that's it decided? Doesn't sound like she knows what she's joining or why she's here. And that's not a decision you're entitled to make on your own."

Eldon listens quietly at the Scout raves, the Woodsman scowls, and the Aegis brandishes weapons whose razor-sharp blades are thrice the tiny Hin's height.

When Eldon hears Robert utter the words;

"You say she's joining us, and that's it decided? Doesn't sound like she knows what she's joining or why she's here. And that's not a decision you're entitled to make on your own."

Eldon looks up at the Tall Folk, and smiles to him. "Um, Robert? From what I hear in various tales told in Taverns true, your group was in just a situation like this before. Though the tale grows with each telling, I believe you all woke up in a dingy Gaol and had little choice but to speak with a beautiful maiden. Sound familiar?"

Eldon looks over at Stern. "Ser, the danger has passed for now, the villians have that which they seek. And should they have wanted her dead, they would have killed her now. We have time, for the nonce, it's on our side. So pretty please, with honey on top. Put away your damned weapon. You're like to cut someone's knee off, or in my case my head." he smiles to soften the words, but he's brandishing steel before Elven Nobility.

Eldon clears his throat to address the Companions, wether they will hear him or no. "I do not consider myself a member of your company yet. That is something that will either forge or not over the hours. But I will say that I am intrigued by numbers. And what has been said is true. One was taken, another arrived. So if you'll have me further, I will join you to recover that which has been lost. Now if you'll excuse me, I must gather Teacup, for she is not one for violent situations and is most likely nibbling on the carrot patch by now.

Eldon walks at a brisk pace, his legs propelling him along. At a random moment he says to the air next to him. "Your cloak helps those unprepared, Rapscallion, but some of us can still see your form. I'll see you in the stables."

With that, Eldon breaks into a sprint before the Knight of Alleyways can catch him and do him most grevious harm.

--LSH

Stern stands with the other Companions for a few minutes as the chaos of the moment begins to subside. Then Warrick's screaming voice breaks the silence of the aftermath.

"You'll die at my hands!"

Stern quickly turns as Warrick charges toward him...

Wheeling on Stern with a rabid look, he rages at the Paladin, "He's taken her, Stern! That ____ of a brother of hers has stolen her away!" Returning his glazed eyes to the retreating speck in the sky he adds, "You'll burn in all Nine Hels! My hand will make it so!"

"Wha' tha in bloody blazes do ye mean they've taken..."

Returning a fierce look upon the young Paladin, Warrick practically snarls, though his tears seem strangely juxtaposed on the enraged mein. As Warrick pulls his cloak about him Stern sees Warrick bears his backpack and Jesset's saddle bags.

Jesset, taken!  St. Marcus help her...

"I am going for her," is all he states. As he spins on his heel and walks purposefully to the stables, Stern notes, perhaps for the first time, that the Scout is fully capable of flowing with an assassin's gait.

"Warrick, ye mus' try ta trust tha' we shall find her, but tagether we mus' remain."

Warrick melts into invisibility as he draws his magical cloak completely about him, musing murder with each step.

"SIR WARRICK YE CANNO GO THIS ALONE!"

Adelia is about to answer when Warrick begins storming off.

"Hold, Scout."

Smiling at Ilde and Stern she gracefully follows along behind Warrick and touches his shoulder.

"Which direction will you go, friend? Can the Me'er Ailewynn now fly?" She steps around and stares into his eyes, her voice gentle and the touch of her hand light upon his cheek.

Stern, having taken two steps toward Warrick, stops immediately as the elven queen shouts her command to the enraged rogue.

As Adelia consoles Warrick, the young paladin's mind races as the reality of Jess' abduction sinks in...

She is gone... I have failed Warrick, Jesset, n' all o' tha Companions this day.

"Stern places a big armored hand on Warrick's shoulder, "It is I who have failed Sir Warrick... Twas me duty ta keep this group safe, alive, n' tagether. But all is no' lost ma friend. Tagether, we shall find her or tagether was shall die tryin'... Ye have ma word n' solem oath."

Stern turns away, the emotions of the moment almost too much for him to deal with. To lose a trusted friend is not an easy burden to carry, even for the mighty Aegis.

Robert's voice pulls Stern from his emotions...

"Aye I did a tha', but yer right Robert it is no' me decision alone... We only met her last night, n' she told us o' her story. She was sent ta us, by her clan's shaman. She sought me out for reasons I do no' yet fully understand.. Mr. Eldon n' I had planned on introducing her ta tha rest o' tha Companions this morn, until all hel broke lose... As I said Robert, I fer one have welcomed her into tha group n' now it looks as though we may need all tha help we can get... Ye want ta turn her away? Then ye best make yer misgivins' known ta meself n' tha rest o' tha group...

SK

"I beg your forgiveness and bid you stay and listen to what I have to say. Above all this... you must not leave your Company. The Fates bid this Northwoman to come down from her halls for a reason... hear now her story and mine." She reaches up and wipes his tears with her thumb, mimicking the gesture on her own cheeks. "Let these tears be mine to shed, for it is my folly which may doom us all."

"My tears are my own. And I work best alone," the Rogue growls.

As he continues to the stables he hears Sterns say,

"It is I who have failed Sir Warrick... Twas me duty ta keep this group safe, alive, n' tagether. But all is no' lost ma friend. Tagether, we shall find her or tagether was shall die tryin'... Ye have ma word n' solem oath."

"No, Stern," he calls over his shoulder. "The failure is mine. For any others to claim it is to dishonor the bond that Jesset and I had. And I will make it right or die trying."

The Scout bears no ire for Eldon's comments as they only barely reach his hearing. Instead, plans and directions are working out in the Scout's mind.

At the stables, he let's his cloak fall open as he readies his steed and Jesset's. He carefully places both saddles on the horses fully expecting that the second one will be occupied again. Soon.