Sign in to follow this  
Michael-TLH

The Darakan Chronicles, Part 2

Eldon indeed sees him in the stables, Teacup barely prepared.

He walks up to Warrick, and stands politely near him, reaching up to rub the horse's flank and warn the beast not to bump into him.

"So... wa'cha dooooin'?" he asks the Man. The Hin has been near many Human children to understand how they manipulate their elders, and Eldon is not above such tricks of deceit. "Looks like you're packing to go... Yup. Lookin' to go. Yuppers. Yup-yup-yippie..."

Eldon rocks back on his heels a moment, then back. "So.... Meeeister Dark And Gloomy. You gonna go out there and beat up that bad man what did this? Good for you!" Eldon's cheer is equal parts infectious and annoying, with luck, his ploy will work.

"Whole lotta horses in here, though... Look awfully familiar... Oh! Of course!" he smacks his head lightly. "They're your *friend's* beasts! Didn't you come into this town with some friends? I think I remember them. One's a tall drink of water, other's some gloomy guy, hangs out with an Elf... They sound familiar?"

Eldon nods sagely as the Dark and Gloomy Man continues to ignore him. "Well, fair enough. You go on and ride outta here, Mister Man. I'm sure your friends will get used to people leaving after a fashion. I mean, one leaves not of her on volition, I'm sure they'll understand another leaving..."

Eldon waves cheerfully, and returns to preparing Teacup for her journey.

--LSH

"Then ye best make yer misgivins' known ta meself n' tha rest o' tha group..."

Robert moves in to Stern, so that their speech is private. He ignores Eldon, seeing no relevance in his bringing up how the companions met. Only the final phrase is audible to others, as he starts to turn away from the big man.

"...needs our help".

In the silence of the stables, as Eldon waits for a response from Warrick, Robert finally catches them up. Unable to see where Warrick went, his first guess was wrong so he missed most of their talk but he remembers a conversion across a table at Rockfist.

A young man who knew he was little more than a peasant and a knighted man of Searoad who took the time to talk to him, to reach out to him. And a time in the shadowy hold of a ship, with blood in his eyes and so frightened that he nearly wept until he heard a calm voice telling him it would be alright.

"If they took Myk, there's no army big enough I wouldn't fight through, no sea of blood too deep for me to wade through, nothing that could stop me from going after her. And I'd willingly die to rescue her. If I knew I had brothers who would help me, I'd be glad for their company. My bow, my sword, my blood, are yours until we find her. Whether you want them or not."

Stern nods in response to Robert's words, a serious look etched upon his youthful unshaven face making him look much older than he really is... No one is certain what was exchanged between the two men, but Stern's parting words to Robert are all that can be overheard...

"...canno' sense any evil in them..."

Stern pats Robert on the shoulder as the ranger turns to head for the stables. The big paladin then gives Ilde a brief glance, forcing a tight smile onto his features before turning his full attention to the elven queen. Bowing slightly, the big paladin speaks low and direct to the elven royalty before him.

"Yer Majesty, is thare a secure location wherein I might gather Tha Companions? We've much ta discuss n' time is against us it would seem..."

Sheathing his massive greatsword in one smooth motion, the Aegis of Rockfist glances into the sky as if looking for answers and mutters a prayer to himself...

St. Marcus protect our Jesset in yer never-ending light... St. Marcus lead us no' inta tha jaws o' death, but deliver us from this evil tha' threatens all tha' is good... I am tha Protector, Tha Defender, I am tha Guiding Light...

SK

Edited by Stern Kestrelmann

Warrick's scowl only deepens as the Hin makes light of his situation. Dangerous thoughts cross his mind but he is aware enough to still distinguish who needs to be slain and who is clearly uninformed about the loyalties of love and the skills of those trained to move in the darkness.

However, Robert's words appear to penetrate. Warrick shakes off the hood of the robe and regards the Ranger. Warrick knows that Robert probably best understands his plight. "Your togue is as accurate as your bow, apparently. I'd have your bow, friend, in any situation. But I warn you that the kind of death I intend on inflicting cannot be considered noble or honorable. And frankly, the techniques I am familiar with are not methods that others are usually comfortable with."

The Scout sags under his depression, rage, disease, and helplessness. New tears well under his eyes as he looks pleadingly to the Ranger. "What do I do? What would you do?"

Warrick idly places Jesset's saddlebags on her horse, eyes still locked with the Ranger's.

The Scout sags under his depression, rage, disease, and helplessness. New tears well under his eyes as he looks pleadingly to the Ranger. "What do I do? What would you do?"

"You know what you have to do. Fight. Remember that Jess is depending on you to save her, and not to throw your life away in grief. Remember your friends. You led us once, the first time we were together and we'll follow you now. Remember that you just blew off an innkeeper who seems to be Elven royalty and although she'll understand your grief we'll need her help to track Jess. And Jess would want you to look after Garr. Oh, and unlike you, Sir Greywynd, I'll never be noble and I heard Father Antonius say 'death's always death, it's how you live that's honourable'. We'll do what must be done."

His store of advice exhausted, Robert steps back, away from the stables and catches his breath for the first time since the attack.

Everything seems to have gone wrong since we left Searoad. First Ame, then Shan, now Jesset. Warrick hurt. Gods, we need some luck...

Stepping up, after having gathered thier things together. Myk move to prepare her and Robert's horses. "We ride...Of course. Between Robert, You and Garr we will find her...and send those who took her to a most fitting hel." There is a hint of anticipation in Myl's eye at such a thought. "Now lets get our thing together and go...the Northern Woman wants to join...so be it....She best be able to keep up." She moves over to Robert once the horses are ready and says "You ready my love? As we best move fast before the trail grows too cold."

As soon as he is out of the building, Cuchulainn dons his emerald armor. It takes several minutes; He isn't familiar with the armor and he is doing it himself. As he is tightening the final straps, Cuchulainn feels a tingle along his spine as more magic is cast. Some one is calming the fires. He begins walking towards Stern, The Innkeeper, A strange woman, Eldon, and Robert. As soon as Cuchulainn is within hearing distance, Eldon dashes off towards the stable, mumbling to himself for a moment as he walks; Cuchulainn takes a small mental note.

Stern and Robert then have an exchange as to whether the woman is willing to join them. Cuchulainn has learned to take this sort of thing in stride. "I too once came upon you Companions in happenstance. You've accepted me haven't you?" Then, just as Eldon had left towards the stables so does Robert. Curiosity finally wins over and Cuchulainn follows Robert to the stables. There Robert is talking to Warrick, convincing him to not leave. Its at this point that Cuchulainn decides to make his peace.

"Warrick, you're sick.... Really sick. A night out in the rain and you'll be in bed for a month with pnumonia. The only thing you'll get doing this by yourself is a shallow grave. This is deadly Warrick"

"I too once came upon you Companions in happenstance. You've accepted me haven't you?"

"And when we met you on the Docks I was behind you, ready to put an arrow through your head if you flinched. You've earned my trust, you've earned acceptance by us all, of course you have. We have to be careful. I mean no disrespect to you, miss, or to Eldon but evil sometimes wears a pretty mask"

Eldon has a good laugh at that. "I assure you, Woodsman. No ill is borne in my heart. For one thing, if the tales are true. Your Aegis could sniff them out like a hound on a trail. And let's be honest, he looks at me hard, and I'll be cleaved in twain."

Eldon shakes his head, Teacup finally readied. "So while we all prepare for the day's travels, I have two questions to put forth: The first is 'Do we know where we are heading?' and 'If the Inn burned down, do we still have to pay our drinking debt?"

--LSH

Ilde follows the others to the stables, but at least temporarily tries not to interfere while as yet uninvited by some. She makes her horse ready for the day's travel being certain that none of her riding tack or her entrusted mount withstood any noteworthy damage during her recent encounter with undead while crossing through the wilds. The horse, a sturdy but fast grey mare she calls Kiire, seems reasonably well-rested and agreeable, yet Ilde is not so eager to leave without at least some knowledge of where she will be going. Sensing that the others are for the most part ready to start out, she finishes her own preparations and speaks to Eldon.

"If I am to join you, I would like to know where we will be going. The trail that you speak of that will lead us to your Jesset..", she spoke, passing a quick glance at Warrick and Mykayla. "...is a trail on the winds. Unless we can take to the skies also, we have already lost the trail. The lady Adelia may be our best hope for finding her. We should hear all she has to say before we leave here. Whatever you all decide to do, I have already sworn to aid you, but the choice to allow me to keep my oath is yours."

Robert puts a hand on Myk's shoulder and says. "I know you are anxious to leave my love, and I know the reasons why. But I think we should we should see what information we can gather before blindly rushing off." He smiles tenderly at her "Idle is right when she says the trail is a trail of winds. So lets see what the queen has to say before we go haring off?"

Mykayla looks like she wants to argue, but instead nods her head in agreement.

Warrick slumps slightly as he reluctantly gives in to those possessed of more wisdom than himself. "We're going nowhere, Ilde, for now. But as I listen to the truth of Robert's own words, I would say more help is better than less. If you feel your oracle sends you to aid in our fight, then I welcome you, Eldon, and any others that would join our cause. But I warn all of you, I no longer care for this city, its needs, quests, undead, or otherwise. I will rescue Jesset. It just seems that what we were committed to as a group and what I now must do are joined somewhat."

Warrick regards Cuchulainn for a moment and nods. "I appreciate your concern for my health. I also ask you to continue with that concern, for I will have none of it myself. I will free Jesset of her brother or die trying. My own physical maladies bear little influence on that course. Thank you, priest."

Before he leaves the stables, he locks eyes with Robert and bows slightly. "Thank you," is all he says, knowing that the other man best understands what Warrick means by that.

Returning to the Queen, Warrick quietly makes his apologies. "My lady, please forbear and forgive my offense. One who I love is missing as a result of this attack and I was departed from reason for a time. In fact, I am still much departed from my reason, but that is why one has friends such as these," he adds, looking to Stern. "In some situations, one must rely on others to think clearly while one cannot do so for themself. My humble apologies for my curt behavior. And my condolences for your own loss."

Bowing low, Warrick stumbles slightly on his rising, but steadies himself on Stern's strong shoulder. Patting the Paladin's armor slightly, Warrick wanders off under a tree's shade alone, and cries.

Stern watches in silence as Warrick emerges from the stables and nods in agreement as the rogue speaks to the elven queen.

Returning to the Queen, Warrick quietly makes his apologies. "My lady, please forbear and forgive my offense. One who I love is missing as a result of this attack and I was departed from reason for a time. In fact, I am still much departed from my reason, but that is why one has friends such as these," he adds, looking to Stern. "In some situations, one must rely on others to think clearly while one cannot do so for themself. My humble apologies for my curt behavior. And my condolences for your own loss."

Bowing low, Warrick stumbles slightly on his rising, but steadies himself on Stern's strong shoulder. Patting the Paladin's armor slightly, Warrick wanders off under a tree's shade alone, and cries.

"Worry no' Sir Warrick for we shall find her, know this ta be true..."

Gather tha others Stern... Our true battle against this evil starts now.

SK

Eldon hops up on Teacup, patting her reassuringly. Fuzzbucket has curled up on her traditional spot high on the flank of Teacup, ready for another slow day in a warm spot.

The last possible moment before Eldon is ready, he hears the clear, pure voice of the Shining Host. Partially in his mind, partially in his ear. He turns to look at them, and he sees the look in their eyes. "Oh, bother." he says, sliding off Teacup and walking over to them.

In deepest respect, they kneel to him, bringing themselves eye-to-eye with the tiny Hin. Their voices softer than a whisper of wind in the dead of night, words only for his ears.

"Goodbarrel, such a tiny Hin has mastered the Elven Magics we have preserved since the fall of Daraka. Few recieve such a privelage to study under our Masters, and not only have you passed, you have thrived."

Eldon has a decidedly bad feeling about what they have to say...

"Goodbarrel... Eldon." the Shining Host smiles at the Hin, using the familiar name. "The Chosen of Beleah are the best chance we have to stop that which burdens our souls. But should they fall in battle, we here must be ready to stop that which will attack. I cannot order you to stay, but we need your help as much as they do."

Eldon sighs, glancing at the assembled party, and nods softly to the Shining Host. "I'll stay." he says, throat tight with emotion.

He quietly pads over to the other Companions, his heart heavy with duty. He clears his throat, looking up at the others. "Um... Uuuh... How best to put this. I cannot continue with you. They need me here to have a fallback. Incase... the worst happens."

--LSH