Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Michael-TLH

The Darakan Chronicles, Part 2

Recommended Posts

With others in camp and cozied but the food not yet fit to be pulled from the fire, Jesset spends a moment or two conferring softly with her beloved. It is clear the others are distressed over the watching eyes. Yet there is little to be done against such powerful majik-workers while so far away. Abjurations might stave off the eyes, for a time, but only powerful ones. Even as one who has specialized in those defensive majiks she has much to learn before she can block the higher scrying-spells from a group as large as the Chosen and their mounts and other companions. So instead of mourning the lack of majik powers she has yet to even acquire...the sinister-born Servant of the Aspen does what is within her power.

 

"Stay, all. I will be back to eat dinner with you shortly - I would not miss the culminations of our new friend's High Arts!"

 

With that, she jumps nearly straight upward two times her own height. Squeezing ankles and wrists together - then scrunching shoulders as well - her slender body passes between two large branches. At the apex of her great leap, she throws her feet wide apart and plants each on a separate, sturdy branch. After a momentary smile at her companions below, she leaps out away from the large trunk and up a few more feet to a sturdier branch before running the length of it and leaping towards another tree.

 

In the air she lets out of whoop of joy and holds some cloth-package up, allowing the wind to rip it free of its folding until it is long and billowing. Just as she lands - sprinting - she whips the cloth around her shoulders and is gone from sight.

 

Leaves dance and branches bend, but with the movement of air in the trees it is impossible to know where the sure-footed tree-dancer is or is not.

 

Half an hour later she appears in mid-air, falling towards her companions with the largest of smiles on her face as she wraps the cloak into a ball around her arm. Landing, she bounds again - over the hin, his fire and his food - to drop next to her Scout.

 

"Thank you, my Greywynd!"

 

"The forest is clear, my friends. I know it feels ill here, but no enemies lurk within the circle I have run. And with my boots, it is a large circle indeed!"

 

"Let us eat and relax. Our mission is no joy...but it is good to be Home and I mean to enjoy what I can."

 

Leaning back just as the food is finally cooked to their gourmet's satisfaction, the blue-skinned warrior-witch looks nothing if not in her element right here - in the Woodland Wild.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warrick grimaces at the Hin's proffered food. "I wish I could, honestly, and I know on any other day that smell would be as welcome to me as a lady's giggle. But for now, I must decline. I don't think I can hold anything down right now...."

 

The Scout rises from the fire, still a little unsteady on his feet, and moves upwind slightly from the cooking stew. Wrapping himself in a blanket, he props up with his back against a tree waiting for Jesset's return. He shakes his haead at hr surprising return, full knowing that jumping into camp from full darkness with everyone on edge could have netted her a pair of Robert's arrows in her belly. But he knows she is full in her joy and may not be thinking about how on edge the rest of them are. More importantly, he is frustrated by his sickness-dulled reflexes. Her sudden appearance should have brought his weapons to hand in an instant. Rather, he remains in his huddled position, silently accepting the Skoli's embrace, practiced reflexes still asleep.

 

The realization fouls his mood as he wonders what impact it will all have on his fighting and stealth skills. He is in the middle of pondering whether he should practice duel with Stern to find his new limits when he drifts off to sleep at the tree base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Chariot begins its ascent early in the morning and the Companions awaken to the sound of thrush and sparrow singing their praises to the golden rays which cross the sky. The morning dew sparkles in the light, and the smell of wildflowers greet each slumbering member of the party as they stir and awaken.

 

Up with the dawn, the Islander Cuchullain basks in the glow, chanting softly as the amber light illumines his face. Breathing deeply, he inhales the soft fragrance of the Woodland Wild around him. Only on his homeland has he ever felt more at peace. Opening his eyes, he is startled for a second as a small and unsteady fawn nibbles at some tender shoots of grass close enough for him to reach out and touch. Nearby, an anxious mother stands stock-still watching to see what these strange creatures will do. Unconcerned, the fawn tilts it's head, chewing slowly on an unexpected treat and gently stretches it's neck forward, nostrils flaring as it scents man for the first time.

 

The other companions wake and stretch, performing their daily rituals as they do every day, but with a lighter heart as the Wild awakens with them. All feel content and happy as the dawn brings the promise of a beautiful day. Overhead, a slight breeze stirs the high branch into motion, a gentle susurrus of sound creating a background for the song of birds, and the lazy drone of bees and other insects.

 

The Woodland Wild is alive, obvious to all. Filled to near overflowing with a cornucopia of life. Eldon spies some particularly flavorful herbs and roots and happily begins a bit of foraging, thoughts of breakfast already wheeling in his head.

 

Robert, always observant as he makes a morning check of the perimter is astounded by the variety of tracks on the edge of their camp. Wolf, panther, bear, deer... all have at some point crept close to the camp during the night. As he turns and begins making his way back to where his friends ready for the trek to Jesset's home, he notices a shape behind the trees off to the left. A large, powerfully built grizzly bear steps out from behind the brush, grumbling low in it's chest, sniffing the air and rising to sit back on it's haunches. Idly scratching it's stomach, it looks almost quizzically at the ranger, as if wondering what sort of creature he's encountered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feeling better though still aware of the disease within him, Warrick does his best to go through his daily motions. He finds he can wield his weapons though not as deftly as usual. A few practice swings uncover adjustments that will have to be made and...

 

The hairs on Warrick's neck prickle beneath his ponytail and he goes stock still. Quietly he asks, "Friend of yours Robert?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eldon streaches, he and his feline companion synchronized in an eerie fashion. He runs his hand through his moppish hair, smacking his lips in anticipation of the morning meal. Taking a moment, he awakens the smoldering embers of last evening's fire with almost no effort. A kettle is placed on the fire, Dwarven in design holds a strange, smokey dark bean that has been ground by Eldon. Letting the kettle heat on the fire, he tends to other matters.

 

His stomach already gurgling, the tiny Wizard pulls out of his amazing hat a fresh loaf of bread, and some good, thick cheese, bidding his new-found traveling companions to break their fast as he begins preparations of the morning meal.

 

Pausing in the preperation, Eldon turns and heads off into the wood naught a dozen feet from them all, his quick hands eagerly pulling forth nature's bounty for their table. "Woohoo!" he cries, victorious in his hunt.

 

Fuzzbucket has taken her time cleaning this morning, but even the beast knows that a meal is soon forthcoming. Soon she comes to Eldon's side, purring and yowling for attention, food, or both. "In time! In time... You'll get yours." he says to her. Ancient spirits bound in the beast or no, the potato-sack of a cat requires substance.

 

The kettle has reached its peak, and Eldon takes it off the heat. He pours the dark liquid into his mug, and almost takes a sip when Fuzzbucket *PUFFS* huge, her tail trippling in width, and her back arches tall. Eldon almost spills the mug as he whips his head around, looking for the danger. "Wha-Wha?" he says, then sees the Bear.

 

"Um, folks... what do you do when a Bear is looking at us?"

 

--LSH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cucuhlainn gently reaches his hand towards the fawn.

<S>"If only every one could treat you with respect..... return to your Mother."</S> With that, he snaps his finger to startle the fawn. Nothing wrong with a little healthy fear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fawn bleats and dashes towards it's waiting mother. With a flash of white tails, both bound away. Where the mother had been standing, an enormous deer, rack of antlers green with accumulated moss, steps out and chuffs once. His black eyes glisten in the morning light, staring at Cuchullain as he lowers his head, almost seeming to nod, before straightening up and standing still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"You do nothing, little wizard. You do nothing. He's not here to harm us"

 

What do you bring us, you great beast? There's no danger from you, I can feel it.

 

"Good Morning, my friend. Were you watching us last night?" says Robert, his gentle voice calm and soft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eldon and Fuzzbucket are quite the pair, both still as the grave, eyes wide as they watch the gigantic bear and the Woodsman speaking with it. Every hair on Eldon's familiar stands on end, and even Eldon's sideburns stick out from goodbumps.

 

"Sure... nothing... I can do that. Yup... no problems there...."

 

Ever so slowly, Eldon takes off his hat, and Fuzzbucket takes ehr leave of the ensemble, secreting her enormous frame into the hat, and disappearing in some unknown manner.

 

--LSH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The great stag tosses it's head, antlers swaying. It paws the ground and inhales deeply, peering about the camp and the people therein.

 

The great bear rumbles deep in it's chest. To Robert's trained eye it seems more curious than anything else. Showing no fear, it lowers and takes a few steps forward.

 

Garr and Hammer show remarkable restraint, although their flanks tremble in eagerness to rush forward. A small whine from Hammer makes Stern stand and turn, wondering what it is she sees. To his left a shape emerges from the brush. Dark grey with coal-black eyes it is the largest wolf he has ever seen. It sniffs the air once and sits, staring into the camp. Panting as if it has just run a far distance, the wolf's eyes meet Stern's and do not look away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slowly Cuchulainn sifts through the spell components pouch at his waist. After a few seconds, he finds what he is looking for: a tiny paper packet of sea salts. Pouring the packet's content into his palm, Cuchulainn approaches the Stag, eyes down and palm up, allowing it to make the first move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having returned to the campsite, Stern informs the others of his encounter with the Dryad, reporting first to Jesset then sharing his experience with the rest of the Companions before bedding down for the night. Despite his fatigue from the day's travels, Stern's rest is broken and light, filled with unpleasant dreams. Visions of death and destruction plague almost all the young paladin's sleeping hours. Dawn is a welcome sight as the mighty Aegis rises once more to meet another day.

 

* * *

 

The next morning, following his prayers to St. Marcus, Stern begins helping himself to Eldon's breakfast preparations.

 

"Ye may be a wizard indeed ma wee friend", Stern says with a smile, "but yer true magic lies within yer cooking skills..."

 

Stern begins eating, groaning with delight as he stuffs food into his unshaven face. Then the animals begin to arrive.

 

The Aegis watches in wonder, fighting the urge to reach for his mighty greatsword that lies sheathed at his feet.

 

Wha'in tha name o' Hadren's hounds...

 

A small whine from Hammer makes Stern stand and turn, wondering what it is she sees. To his left a shape emerges from the brush. Dark grey with coal-black eyes it is the largest wolf he has ever seen. It sniffs the air once and sits, staring into the camp. Panting as if it has just run a far distance, the wolf's eyes meet Stern's and do not look away.

 

"Wha' is it girl?" "Wha' do ye..." Stern's voice trails off as he turns, locking eyes with the enormous cloudy grey canine before him.

 

"Easy girl hold yer place", Stern whispers to Hammer as he glances around at the other Companions most of whom seem engaged in their own encounters with the other animals that have suddenly decended upon the Chosen's campsite.

 

Stern, using the divine powers of St. Marcus, detects no evil in the large wolfen kind before him and steps forward cautiously with arms outstretched at his sides.

 

Mother o' St. Marcus, tha' beast must be fifteen hands high...

 

"Easy boy, easy..."

 

SK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Garr's tension spills over into Jesset's pose. For a moment BOTH look like quivering animals, nares flaring as lungs gulp scented air. But the calm of a Ranger born to these woods still belongs to the sinister-born woman. With their close connection, the skoli's poise stills the wave of tension and spreads back towards Garr like an echo. Hammer and the wolf also seem affected, tho' none of the non-lupin animals are. Holding herself delicately between her ill lover and the ring of unexpected visitors, she offers no threat, but hovers in a perfect balance between stillness and the beginning of action that only the most instinctive of animals can normally attain.

 

[/i]Are they druids? Or true animals? If only... Aah! I still cannot quite make meaning from the language of canines. Tho' I sense I am on the verge...[/i]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waking from a fittful but restful sleep, Mykayla gathers her stuff so she will be ready to leave. When the animals start showing up she thinks Great! Now the animals are paying a visit. She gets up and moves to saddle and get her mount ready, pretty much ignoring the animals, though Adia sits on her shoulder and watches everything intently.

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...