Has anyone ordered from Tomb Guardians recently?

JoeGKushner

So on another thread, I was asking about hobgoblins.  A few people replied (much appreciated!) and one noted that Tomb Guardians sells hobgoblins.

They had a 40% off sale so I ordered 2 of the warband.

So...

First thing, does anyone know that they're selling you prints?  These are not resin casts models but actual 3d prints.

And I hate to say but the quality of those prints was... not impressive.  A lot of support removal damage, some supports not removed, and in at least one instance, part of the model just looked like it was a bad print.

Now after receiving them, I looked over the web site.  I don't see any indications that note that they're selling 3d printed resin objects. It could just be me.

Have other people been ordering from Tomb Guardians?  Is this a recent thing?  I know they used to do metal not that long ago and their 3d prints sell for the same costs as the metal models so not sure what's going on there.

• Sad 4

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only time I've gotten resin from them was Kickstarter fulfillment & those were of excellent quality. Those could have been using a different method thou.

I was tempted to order with the various sales they've been having, but I think I'll hold off for now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, haldir said:

The only time I've gotten resin from them was Kickstarter fulfillment & those were of excellent quality. Those could have been using a different method thou.

I was tempted to order with the various sales they've been having, but I think I'll hold off for now.

When you say they were of excellent quality, were they casts or prints?

I'm trying to figure out if they mention anywhere that they're selling 3d prints.

1 hour ago, JoeGKushner said:

When you say they were of excellent quality, were they casts or prints?

I'm trying to figure out if they mention anywhere that they're selling 3d prints.

These were cast. It was when they introduced resin for the big stuff like the ogre.

On 12/22/2022 at 7:47 PM, JoeGKushner said:

So on another thread, I was asking about hobgoblins.  A few people replied (much appreciated!) and one noted that Tomb Guardians sells hobgoblins.

I believe that was probably me. I have the metal versions of the hobgoblins, which are of course cast (very clean and sharp). I can’t really speak to the resin versions. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tasso said:

I believe that was probably me. I have the metal versions of the hobgoblins, which are of course cast (very clean and sharp). I can’t really speak to the resin versions. 

and I got to be clear here, it's not that it's 'resin' that's the problem.  I've had some cast resin that's IMO superior to ye old metal.

It's that it's poorly done 3d prints that a)didn't have all the supports removed b)had numerous 3d printing artifacts on them c)had muddy details in multiple parts.

And those bases are broccoli right? Like when they were metal, hey okay, have to save material.  But if you're 3d printing them? zero reason why not to make it an actual base.  OR here me out, offer a version with no bases so that the cheap print doesn't get damaged when removing it.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 11:17 AM, JoeGKushner said:

and I got to be clear here, it's not that it's 'resin' that's the problem.  I've had some cast resin that's IMO superior to ye old metal.

It's that it's poorly done 3d prints that a)didn't have all the supports removed b)had numerous 3d printing artifacts on them c)had muddy details in multiple parts.

And those bases are broccoli right? Like when they were metal, hey okay, have to save material.  But if you're 3d printing them? zero reason why not to make it an actual base.  OR here me out, offer a version with no bases so that the cheap print doesn't get damaged when removing it.

I need to find mine & look at them now. Again, I don't think these are 3d printed as the ones I have was the kickstarter that introduced resin minis for TG. One of the biggest reason I got it was the ogre. I just couldn't never justify getting that one in metal with the cost of it.

17 hours ago, Adrift said:

I’m sorry for your experience but I’m thankful for the warning. 

Which is a damn shame was needed.

IMO it's dishonest to sell something as 'resin' instead of indicating 3D-Print.

There don't have to be worlds of difference between a print and a cast but in this case, boy were there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Citrine said:

I just got the minis I ordered from Tomb Guardians today, and both the metal and the resin minis look good.  I am not seeing any issues with the resin ones.

That's great.  They said they'd send some replacements out.  We'll see.  In the picture with the guy with the axe below, you can see the waves on his axe.  The other side is basically a blob, no details.On these guys with the crossbows, you can see where it looks like they did support removal after curing. I could have done a LOT of sanding and gree nstuff filling but ain't nobody got time for that.  image.thumb.png.98d5e706e68afc8ff8eda66dfd8d2d6b.pngimage.thumb.png.8400adcb8950601beb1a7eb16ecbe28c.png

2 minutes ago, BlazingTornado said:

Hm.

I'd be curious to see pics of these supposed 3D prints, then.

image.thumb.png.7c77245e67899e68f7b5aa5a983bb6a7.png If it's not a 3d print, they have the worst mold design ever. image.thumb.png.13efe1ff721fd769430c1ff265207092.png 

image.png

• Like 2