Winter Storm in Northern Americas

paintybeard

1 hour ago, Cranky Dog said:

Glad you made it safely, but you really got me curious as to where your MIL lives.

Having lived in many different places in Quebec, I'm familiar with travel times there. And there are only a handful of places, mostly on the north shore, I can imagine taking 15 hours from Ottawa.

Sept Isles!  Everyone knows this place as the last place with a hospital and other major services before going into the NORTH.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rahz said:

Sept Isles!  Everyone knows this place as the last place with a hospital and other major services before going into the NORTH.  

Yup, Sept-Îles QC was among my choices (Havre-Saint-Pierre is even further). I got colleagues with projects over there.

With or without the route that takes the ferry, it's about the same driving time. Though one is closer to my place.

• Like 2

Northern Ohio checking in safe.  There was much potential danger, but most of it didn't come to pass.  The amount of snow was about 3" here, though the snow belt got more.  It was bitterly cold and the wind was crazy.  I just hunkered down inside.  The heat stayed on fortunately.  The batteries in my temperature sensor on my patio died.  Once replaced, I saw the temp drop to -6F at the height of the storm.  My car ended up in a small snow drift, but it didn't take much to get out of it.

The pileup on I-80 out by Sandusky was brutal though.  It's a shame that those people had to be or chose to be on the road during the storm.  Four people killed 😞
https://www.whio.com/news/local/deadly-50-car-pileup-shuts-down-ohio-turnpike/OKIBI5H2T5F37NNAWAKCB7ECXE/

Bad storm = stay inside if possible

• Like 3

On 12/24/2022 at 1:32 AM, paintybeard said:

Having just seen jaw-dropping pictures of the weather pummelling USA and Canada I hope the you are all safe and well over the pond.

It’s Winter. 
It gets cold in the winter. Sometimes. 

<_<

Once upon a time, people from England sailed Galleons over to this side of the pond, after they landed, they built houses out of timber and some of them managed to survive Winter without home heating oil or boilers or HVAC systems or the Weather Channel. 

But not anymore.