GTKY: Daily Quizzle for January 2023

Corsair

8 hours ago, TGP said:

I guess they only show him at his worst in promo spots..?

US television is really bad about this, making him out to be some insane screaming maniac, instead of the passionate chef he is. 

5 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

If you watch the British and American versions of Kitchen Nightmares, you can see which one has the producers dialing up his personality to 11.

This.  Soooooo much this.  It's faster paced, hastier and rougher editing in the US, whereas the UK was laid back when able, and was about showcasing the passion of cooking, and sharing that with others. 

44 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 25 January 2023:

Is there snow on the ground where you are, or do you need sunscreen?

Some would argue both around here, all depends on the time of day... 

• Like 7

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Neither?

There has been snow. The ground and (most importantly) the streets are too warm for it to stick. So wet streets and cloudy overcast skies. Only a decorative amount of snow on cars and tree branches and no need of sunscreen. 

<<.Yawn.>>

This pathetically ordinary winter weather didn’t stop a local TV station from declaring a:

FIRST ALERT WEATHER DAY !!!

<_< <_<

I wish I was kidding. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

At the moment, at 00:00, it is snowing heavily and accumulating on the ground.   Tomorrow we'll probably have a tornado, and need sunscreen afterward. 

37 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

US television is really bad about this, making him out to be some insane screaming maniac, instead of the passionate chef he is. 

It's true I've only seen the screaming maniac bits with liberal use of *bleep* to cover the dialogue.  But since we don't have cable any more I haven't really watched anything in the past... 5 or 6 years. 

US television is really bad.  Let's just stop there. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

We still had a tiny bit of snow yesterday. It's supposed to be snowing currently and through the day. It's dark, so not trying to see out the window. 

And while you can totally need sunscreen when there's snow, it's been pretty overcast. Also you kinda have to be outside with the sun, and I try to avoid that as much as possible. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

No snow, we only get a few scattered days a year.  No sunscreen, it tends to streak a lot in the rain.  Always the rain…

On 1/23/2023 at 8:40 PM, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 24 January 2023:

Is there one Reality TV personality that just makes you cringe?

Yes, but he was voted out.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

No snow here...thank God. We had an inch or so in late October, & a snow shower a couple of days ago. Otherwise it has been a splendidly mild, snowless Winter.

I do detest cold & snow...especially snow.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

There was some leftover snow on the ground, it started snowing again overnight, and it is projected to snow all day today.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

We had about 22" on the ground, a few weeks ago, but that has compacted down now to about 16".  My driveway is starting to look like a mini canyon with meter+ high walls of snow piled on each side.  This is a good thing though.  We've had two consecutive summers of drought here and the water tables really need to get filled.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

Currently, neither. The sun hasn't come up yet.::P:

Actually, aside from the massive up and down shifts in the temperature, it's been pretty nice here for the past month or 2. Not too hot, and nice and cool and comfortable.

At least for me. I have seen what I assume to be native Texans dressed in a heavy parka on a day that is 50 degrees f where I'm just wearing a flannel shirt. With the sleeves rolled up.::D:

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

There's several inches of slush on the ground and it is alternating between snow, sleet, rain, and freezing rain right now. I'm looking out the east facing window of my office and though I know there is a sun out there somewhere, I certainly can't see it right now. So definitely no need for sunscreen today.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

A dusting atop the ridge tops happened Monday and we are expecting 3-5" today.  Unfortunately we are getting rain later and there probably won't be much of it to be found tomorrow.😥

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

A couple inches. One of those crap years where the temps weave over and under freezing, creating a hard snow crust over an ice base. Worst kind of winters, I'd rather have 5' of snow and consistent freezing temps to keep the snow workable. Actually, my ideal winter temps would be in the single digits to low teens for the entire winter, coming up to 20 during warm streaks (because 20 feels balmy when it's been single digits, it's weird). Going to snow for the next week or so, but will be a layer cake of ice and crusty snow as it freezes and thaws. Ecch.

And here's me needing some gas for the snow thrower, pretty sure my can has already broken down (because I also need a new bottle of fuel stabilizer!).

• Like 8