A Resolution

Enchantra

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally I wouldn't make resolutions, but I felt for this Rosh Hashannah that I would. I just have to give it a try. I've been wanting to learn Hebrew for a while. At least the basics so I can follow along in services at Synagogue better. Most of my fellow congregants grew up going to Hebrew School. I never had that privledge, so I am having to try to follow along and learn my way the best I can.

New Year's resolutions??????? I don't believe in those. Don't get me wrong though... I think there's something to be said about celebrating a "concept" of fresh starts. However, this holiday tradition provides a FALSE sense of motivation. Thus, partly the reason for so many failures in reaching those resolutions.

As for me... I'm constantly trying to better myself throughout the year. Every so often I make sure and honestly assess whether I'm becoming stagnant or not in all aspects of my life.

Basically... "Live life to the fullest" is a good way to make sure I don't get too stale.

New Year's resolutions??????? I don't believe in those. Don't get me wrong though... I think there's something to be said about celebrating a "concept" of fresh starts. However, this holiday tradition provides a FALSE sense of motivation. Thus, partly the reason for so many failures in reaching those resolutions.

As for me... I'm constantly trying to better myself throughout the year. Every so often I make sure and honestly assess whether I'm becoming stagnant or not in all aspects of my life.

Basically... "Live life to the fullest" is a good way to make sure I don't get too stale.

Yeah what he said...

Man I need to work on my eloquence dagnabbit...

I want to try to reserect an old resolution of mine...I want to be able to do the splits. I know it isnt as lofty as learning a language or something, but it is something i have always wanted to do, but never had the time to sit down and actually try to accomplish (although I tried once, but I forgot about it about a month into the new year...)

I'd like to learn ASL at some point. Not sure that falls under the formality of a resolution, though.

Frosch,

My wife has been taking classes to learn ASL since last year. She absolutely loves it. I've also started learning a smattering from her also as a result. It is absolutely an amazing language. And yes, ASL is a language, it has its own syntax and grammar. There is a HUGE difference between ASL and Signed English. If you've never really looked into it, I'd recommend The Joy of Signing by Lottie L. Riekenhof. It is a really cool book. One of the things I liked about the book, is that it explains where the sign came from, which is a great mnemonic tool for learning them. My wife has been using basic sign for years in her classroom, and will often at concerts have her students perform a song in sign. She's decided to pursue things further though so she can become an interpreter.

Hebrew eh? Good luck.. I hear it is a backwards language...

It's actually supposed to be one the easiest languages to learn because it is all phonetic. The hardest languages to learn on the planet are Chinese, then Japanese, followed by the very English we speak.