Sign in to follow this  
tabascojunkie

I escaped The Asylum.

I visited the Asylum yesterday( the 18th). Everyone was very friendly, especially Anne Foerster. Got to see one of her minis as a WIP, and as a still not very good newbie painter I have to say it was really cool seeing one of those minis I would normally only see on the Net up close in my hand. Really beatiful work, very inspiring. And she was really cool and talkative, and not afraid to answer questions about technique or whatever else. Several other painters were there, one guy that was working on the apparently soon to come Warlord starter set. Sorry I can't remember his name. Marike Reimer( if I heard the name right ) was there too. A few others were there painting away. One guy named Matt, one of the Reaper guys from what I gather, was working on a converted merc army for Warlord.I talked to Michael at the front desk for awhile too, he's a good guy. Got to see the Warlord book and picked up the Warlord sneak peek booklet.

Oops, I posted before I was finished. Call me a computer idiot, but can someone tell me how to indent for a paragraph? Anyway, back to my story. I was hoping to see someone playing some games, but no one was. I'm taking an interest in CAV and bought the starter set while I was there. I'd really like to play on the tables they have, there's some really good looking terrain. I'll try to make it back next Sat. for the big CAV game that's supposed to take place, and also come with brushes and minis to get some lessons from Anne. So hopefully I'll get to meet some more Reaper-philes there in the future. I highly recommend visiting the Asylum to any that are nearby, it's a cool place with good people.

It's about a 45 minute drive, so not exactly right next door. I don't know if you know Dallas at all, but thank God for the George Bush Turnpike. It'd probably be almost another half hour if not for it.

You got Marike's name right - yer lucky ya got to see her - we don't get to see her around often enough! The painter doing the informal "How I did my Crusader army" thing was/is me: Michael Genet. Speaking of the Crusader starter army; I've figured out the paint scheme and should be searching out that thread I started in the warlord area to get it going again... Although work is crushing me under the weight of all the work generated by the recent hurricanes/tropical storms... when I do get to visit the Asylum, I'll probably bring the Crusaders I'm working on...

(everyone please pray that work slows down enough for me to fulfill my RAC obligations, eh?)

Anne is quite an informative painter and the Avatar she was working on yesterday is quite spiffy!!! Very good execution of the concept... Anyone wondering what I'm talking about? Anyway, next time ya make it to the Asylum... ask Anne if there are other mini's available for perusal... She may say "nopers" but it never hurts to ask.

Matt of the shaven head - keep an eye on him - he's a conversion monster. Michael is good people - gotta be with a name like his...

Games - yes... gotta play the games too!!! I'm betting that as more folks get used to working the Asylum into their routine (and figure out how to find it) it'll be quite the crowded place.

Nice meeting ya again,

Good to see you again too Michael! I think I may become a somewhat regular visitor to the Asylum. I've started to dig into the CAV rules a bit and I like what I see. The quick start in the starter set gives a really quick idea of how things work. Guess that's why they call it that.The minis rock too! I'll probably check out Warlord also. I developed an interest in mini tabletop games a couple years ago, but the games by that othercompany are just too damn expensive. It's good to see a cheaper game and access to people to play with.

CAV 1.0 Rules are good stuff & from what I've seen of the RAGE game engine CAV 2.0 will be awesome!!

Agree with you on the cheaper thing: There's another thread comparing figure price vs. figure price... but for me I look at the TCO (total cost of ownership) and Reaper still wins out for me.

Must get back to the painting table!

Yep I'll be there Running CAV this weekend, normally I try to be there to help out with Demo's for the games but Had stuff to do on Sat.

If we have enough time I can give you a quick run through on the Warlord rules as well. Really easy to learn the games once you've picked up one of the reaper systems. Once they all move to the RAGE system it will be even easier.

Patrick "Mad Pat" Haughton

Is the Asylum something Reaper will spread across the nation if it goes well at home? I would love to play someplace hosted by company I enjoy supporting.

I'm planning to go this Sat., hopefully I can make it. Don't know if I'll have any CAVs painted yet the way my week is going. I've only had time to glue 2 together so far. Maybe if I got off this timesponge, I mean computer, I could get something done huh?

Don't worry about having them rushed for this weekend, We have some Shop CAV's as well as my own personal mini's

If you know there is something specific you want to run, then perhaps bring that incase we either don't have enough or don't have one handy.

Take your time make them look the way you want them too.

Patrick "Mad Pat" Haughton

Dallas Texas

Tabascojunkie... name like that, sounds like if you do make it, you'll enjoy the pot of jambalaya wifey and I are bringing up there. We were the two on the far end from Anne last weekend. :) We'll definitely be there again, and look forward to seeing ya there!!

Jambalaya's right up my alley. Maybe I'll cook something up and bring it sometime. Games and food, it don't get no better. Unless you throw in a couple of guitars ::D:

Reading the thread title, and knowing a bit about the Asylum, one has to wonder why someone would *want* to escape the Asylum.