Sign in to follow this  
Qwyksilver

RE: Upgrades and stuff

Well I couldn't post a response THERE so I will post it HERE :)

Woo hoo!!! Faster loading times on the Reaper site. Now, if I am still connecting slowly, it means there are too many users on my Broadband cnx, or my computer is junk.

Good luck on a glitch free transfer Kit!

Kit,

Suggestion, if you do indeed have a DNS change to make, make it as you start the process instead of after you have finished the process. This will help cut down the normal amount of waiting for propogation time it takes.

But, if you are hosting your own site, and assuming you are using NAT, then you probably shouldn't even have to make any changes to the DNS, simply re-route traffic at your Firewall.

Also, could you post the new IP address so that we can modify our hosts files while the DNS change is happening?

Quick question. I don't really get it. Besides the downtime while you are switching servers, how does this REALLY effect the average user? Or is it just for those who have links to your site?

Oh, and of course, good job Kit. Way to stay on top of things and get them upgraded as needed. ::D:::D:::D:

I think it'll just mean that a few of us may have to re-bookmark.. at least for a day or two. I saw how moving affected another website once, and it mostly caused a wee bit of misdirection for some users and a bit of having to relog-in for some. Anytime an upgrade can go off seamlessly is cause for celebration though.

:bday:

If anyone's worried about a DNS change, try to remember this handy-dandy page. In the "DNS lookup" box (top right), leave the record type as "A," enter "www.reapermini.com" (no quotes) and hit the "lookup" button. That'll take you to a page that get you the IP address for the "www" host (which I assume will still be Reaper's web server); rather than relying on cached info, this will query the designated authoritative servers for the reapermini.com domain and get the most up-to-date answer. Assuming that the site really is back up at that time, replacing the "www.reapermini.com" part of the URL with the current IP address should get you here, bypasing any cached DNS info that's leading you astray.

You could also bookmark this link, and refresh it tomorrow if you can't reach the site.

What's really great about my plan is that all I have to do is change IP addresses in existing DNS entries. The master record pointers aren't being changed at all, which will help greatly in the long run. Once we're up and running on the new IP for a while, then I'll get the residual DNS updated to our upstream provider.

Add in the fact that our DNS updates hourly, and that Verisign has followed suit, DNS updates happen much more quickly than they have in the past.

I'm a little ahead with my tasks, and I'm sorely tempted to pull the switch tonight, but that wouldn't be fair, since I already announced I'd do it tomorrow... but midnight approaches, and most of you will be asleep... tempting.

kit

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... from the farside of the world. Oh alright, make it better, faster, stronger.. see if I care... :;):

Gee, I even remember the last upgrade.....

Well I have to wait for my ISP to update the DNS before I can log on from home... :down: I husband thinks it will be at least 24 hours....

BUT at least I can connect from work :lol::lol: hahahaha

You might want to clear your computers offline pages and cookies. Which might help your computer link to the new page faster.