Charging for bases

Enchantra

Alright, I have had requests for sculpted bases. What should I charge per base?

As for the cost, ok it takes roughly an hour to sculpt a base. (Minimum wage is $5.15) More if one is going for really intricate detail. One block of Super Sculpey is $8, a tube of Kneadatite is what, $13 on the Reaper site? I'm trying to sort out in my brain what would be effective to charge.

Any ideas? I don't want to short change myself, yet I don't want to overcharge either.

EDIT: OH and these bases are going to be one of a kind. No two bases will be exactly alike. These are not going to be cast either.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask what they would may for them, it works well because they are looking from the standpoint of how much to they save if you do it for them.

So ask what it is worth to them, you do not want to go too low you will get swamped, too high no sales, so let them give you guidelines.

If they are not willing to pay enough to cover materials x3, then i would not do it.

Time charging for art things is hard to do, I use materials to charge normally, and a multipler jewlery from maker to Retail is around 250-400% markup if not more, to give an idea.

Lee

I think you should charge closer to $10 as a baseprice. Depending on the time and effort that will need to go into the bases, of course.

I would be willing to pay a decent amount for something like your bases with the little cushions on them. They are very cute.

Actually, think of it this way. Build a bunch at the same time. If a person did that, even painting them, then it would be very cost effective. You could charge a few bucks a base, and probably sell tons. If people want custom stuff? Charge 5 bucks an hour???? Is it meant to replace your job income? Or just help on the side. That is another factor.

Actually, think of it this way. Build a bunch at the same time. If a person did that, even painting them, then it would be very cost effective. You could charge a few bucks a base, and probably sell tons. If people want custom stuff? Charge 5 bucks an hour???? Is it meant to replace your job income? Or just help on the side. That is another factor.

It is just meant for help on the side and to give some enjoyment to those who want my bases.

It would be a decent way to supplement my income. With the Holidays coming up and medical expenses to pay off from my appendectomy, I'm looking for ways to get extra cash. Not to mention I've been trying to help my Parents pay bills also.

I'm not painting these bases unless the person requests it and tells me EXACTLY what they want. I put it together and do the sculpting and maybe prime them. The rest is up to them.

The bases I am doing are custom order. They will be one of a kind. I've been requested to do harem bases for two different people. Each one I am constructing differently so they are not completely alike.

As for mass producing, well they would all be different. I could sell them on Ebay. Though that would mean bribing my sister or asking my Uncle to pull out their digital cameras and take pictures for me. And judging by my sister's reaction when I had her photograph Allura for me, she seems to not relish the idea of doing things even though I thank her and offer to help her with other things in return. Oh well.

Also how easy is it to get an Ebay account?

Yeah but the only thing is people tend to shy away from new accounts. So until you get a few sales under your belt it might be a while till you make a sale. On the other hand though you could let people here view your stuff on a webpage and let them follow the link to ebay (since it is against reaper board rules to advertise).