The Farmer's Relic

Orsino

Folk haven't seen farmer Sigwold in two days, since he bragged of unearthing the strange pagan idol at his very doorstep. The dogs howl all through the long night, and a strange fiery glow flickers behind drawn curtains in the hours when honest men should be abed.

Wilthar sent his sons to look in on their neighbor, but in the gloom the weird light and uncanny sounds from within frightened them away. The younger Wilthar swears that he saw a spirit, but tavern-talk has it that he had been drinking that evening. and 'twas his own dawdling ways that led him there after dark. With the mutterings of the ploughmen growing louder, the Holy Church dispatches Father Oskar Dunmesser to investigate, to set minds and tongues at ease--or to match his piety to any evil he might find.

Here's a first peek at the door prize to be given away this Sunday (9/26/04) at the War Room in Norcross, GA, at our soon-to-be-regular monthly meeting. To qualify, come hang out with us to paint, tell war stories, and plot world domination. The fun starts at 1:00 p.m., and those who stay until 5:00 will be included in the dice-off. Someone will walk away with this piece, of which you'll see more tomorrow.

post-4-1095891951.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Want to find out how this mystery ends? I'm afraid you'll have to join us at the War Room this Sunday afternoon, and be the next lucky victim. Take this tableau home with you, find out for yourself what happened to Sigwold, and post the results to the good 'ol Reaper boards--if you can still type with your brains running out of your ears! And guess what? The batteries are even included. Please hurry; I don't know how much longer Father Oskar can hold that pose.

Supplies are limited. Only one cursed cottage will be awarded. Father Oskar sold separately. Eons-old chaotic evil deities are not affiliated with Reaper Miniatures or the War Room. Your casualties may vary. Side effects of paint fumes may include dizziness, giddiness, and an uncontrollable urge to post multiple times to the same thread. And this thing on my elbow. Ever seen anything like that? No, don't pick at it. Just look, and tell me if you think it's swollen.

Here's another shot I forgot. These are Lemax wood piles, not precisely to scale, but kinda nice. You can't tell until you open the package, though, that there are ugly hunks of glue peeking out from between the sticks. The willow tree is also by Lemax--the maker of those adorable holiday villages that are made non-28mm just to chap my @$$.

post-4-1095991796.jpg

By tearing the roof off the sucker, one can see how the cottage is lit. The cardboard holds two LEDs in each window, top and bottom. The batteries and on/off switch are in the white box partially visible through the hole in the base. There's also a jack that will take external power.

I took advantage of the molding of the Armorcast cottage. Both the inside and outside of the walls are molded, so the window panes are very, very thin resin. Hold 'em up to a strong light, and it shines through. It doesn't work all that well, and the LEDs need to sit right against the resin.

The first photo greatly exaggerates the effect, which wouldn't be visible at all in a brightly lit room. That same photo is the result of a happy accident. I expected only the windows to be visible in the darkened room, but when I tried PSP8's automatic contrast enhancement feature, the shape of the cottage and the willow tree emerged from the gloom, and suggested the story.

I'll be a bit sad to see this piece go, as it's my first attempt at a diorama. If I haven't junked it up with too many specific fiddly bits, perhaps it will actually fit into someone's campaign.

post-4-1095993008.jpg

Dang Orsino! That's the coolest thing since the invention of donut-holes or the washable magic marker!

Question is.. do I qualify for a chance to win it too, or will I actually have to... *shudders* .. PAINT something at the sunday meet-up?

I've been wanting to do something like that with the MBA buildings Steve has in my Christmas village this year, only I was planning to do it on the cheap using a strand of cool-burning Xmas tree lights threaded through the windows of the various buildings and the wires hidden underneath the foamcore "snow" on which the village will sit.

Dang Orsino! That's the coolest thing since the invention of donut-holes or the washable magic marker!

Thanks! In the absence of skill, I've had to rely on a gimmick--but it's something I've always wanted to try, and it gives me ideas. Lynne wants to see a Hirst Arts castle lit this way. I'll bet that a good printer could put a stained-glass pattern onto transparancies...

And they called me mad at the Institute! The fools--I'll show them all!

Question is.. do I qualify for a chance to win it too, or will I actually have to... *shudders* .. PAINT something at the sunday meet-up?

Well, I think Steven has established that all one has to do is show up for immoral support--we sure love his ruined temple. I think anyone who hangs out to yap, to study techniques, or to take pictures should get a chance. We'll have enough materials on hand, I think, that anyone who shows an interest in painting can jump right in.

I've been wanting to do something like that with the MBA buildings Steve has in my Christmas village this year, only I was planning to do it on the cheap using a strand of cool-burning Xmas tree lights threaded through the windows of the various buildings and the wires hidden underneath the foamcore "snow" on which the village will sit.

Hey! Add a few monsters and severed heads, and that tableau could rock.