Steven Page

Legends of Taltos:Nefsokar

"Temper, temper..." Salma glares at Asim with condescending disapproval. "I've seen calms like this lots of times. Can't say I've ever seen a sunken city like this one though, but I will bet you gold there's no such thing as Water-Demons!"

She leans far over the railing now and calls out in a shrill mocking voice, "COME GET ME, SLITHIE-FISHIE! I AM A TASTY LITTLE MORSEL!"

Masika still peers over the railing looking hard for the slithe as Salma calles to the unknown. Without taking her eyes off the water she says, "Oh, but I do believe Asim is telling the truth! I heard many stories of the mencing slithes. I have never seen one myself though." She looks up to Salma with a grin. "Oh won't it be wonderful to see one? I bet you'd believe in them then."

One of the crew - mostly unnoticed - flees into the Captain's quarters.

Only a minute later, he returns - fully armored and threateningly armed...

...Yet still unnoticed as he is just emerging from the cabin and everyone else is looking out or down.

"Masika, I'd step away from that railing NOW if I were you! Let the other fool be bait for the Slithe." Asim snaps. He begins mumbling a spell to himself, committing it to memory so that he is ready to cast it when the attack comes.

He also motions to Gahiji, sending the hawk into the air and using it's keen eyesight to peer beneath the surface of the water.

"You seem to know your trade rather well," she says after watching intently for some time. "What else shoudl we know about you? I'm Semra, of the Khamsin," she adds almost as an afterthought.

"I am Iman bint Talib, my father is Talib bin Mahir of the Nejd. My people are horse breeders and herders by nature, so tracking down stolen horses is something I am used to doing." She says with a wry smile. "I have been in the saddle since I could walk, I became one of my father's youngest herders. Currently I am out seeking....I don't know what I am seeking. Something has set my feet to this path and I will follow it till the end." She leans forward to pat her mares neck "I travel with Nasrín, my mare and Lissar my saluki." She inclines her head towards the hound that walks near the feet of her horse." Looking over at Sulemain She says "Please let me know when we get to the spot you last saw the tracks, then I can set Lissar to tracking as well."

LT

Masika jumps at the sharpness of Asim's tone. "You really think we're going to be attacked?" she asks in what seems like a hopeful tone. She hears him start to mumble and she assumes the answer is yes. "Oh well I guess I might need a weapon won't I?"

She walks quickly to where she had left her sword and shoes; both always get in the way while she dances. She notices one of the crew is armed and ready for the attack. Not paying him too much attention as now she feels that this day won't be a boring waste after all, she hurriedly slips on her slippers and grabs her sword then nearly runs back to the group.

At Sulemain's command, Koryx hefts his pack and shield onto his back and returns to his mount. Climbing into the saddle with ease, waits for the others to set off, and then takes up the rear of the group as he dons his helmet again.

As the group continues to ride, Koryx settles into the saddle of his horse. He sways with the stride of the beast with a practiced ease, his crossbow now across his lap and his bolts nearby.

Hennet, who has more or less faded into the background with all the excitement starting, stays near the entrance to the cabins below. He watches as the people on the boat jump to quick conclusions and wild theories and also as the strange crewmember rushes down below to retrieve armor and weapons. The calm of the wind disturbs the man, but that is pushed to the back of his mind at the mention of an underground city. Though he is not ready to concede an attack, nonetheless he prepares a spell himself. After he is ready to cast he looks around wondering where the captain of the vessel is.

All this talk of demons and slithe are enough to warrant Helt to draw out his very large two handed hammer. I hope it is a demon, he thinks. A battle would help clear my head and settle my stomach.

Wearing simple leathers, the man with only his right face & neck intact has a shield slung on his left shoulder. The position isn't truly good enough to fight hand-to-hand without the shield getting in the way, but some remember seeing archers wear shields in that position.

Sure enough, as others are gazing around, he unlimbers a beautiful black bow with copper accents - even many tiny copper beads on the bow-string - and nocks an arrow.

Salma turns her back to the sea and stares in utter astonishment at the other passengers and the scarred crewman, who have all now armed themselves.

"Ha! What next? Will we all be attacked by Razig's ghost-ship?!"

Salma drew out her shortsword and pretended to be in a duel with an invisible pirate. After a few slashes and perries with the imaginary foe, she gets the feeling of half-a-dozen cold stares piercing her skin.

"What? You people are serious, aren't you."

She stepped toward Asim, glancing once again toward the sea.

"You really do believe we're about to be attacked, dont' you."

I am most fortunate that Sulemain thought to provide horses for us. It will be some time before I can afford such a nice mount.

I wonder how many theives there are? Perhaps I should have listened better when I went hunting with Omar. He could find anything, and tell me how many of them, and how long ago they had passed; though I am better with a bow than he.

Daoud glances over at Koryx, sizing up his large companion, and critically eyes his crossbow. He continues to ride in slience, flashing a quick grin at anyone who makes eye contact with him.

"I believe that there is a good chance that we MAY be attacked." Asim replies in an offhanded manner. "However, I would rather be prepared and look the fool when nothing happens, than look the fool and be dead because I wasn't prepared when something did happen."

*crunch.... crunch...... crunch*

It had been nearly two days since he had any water. Khalid gently walked along the rocky slope, silent as could be, as the moonlight shone down on him. The light barely illuminated the the cuarse sand under his feet. Stopping to listen at some unheard phantom, Khalid slowly drew his bow (Bow and quiver being his only earthly possessions at the mament) and nocked an arrow before moving on. Khalid was suddenly set upon by some unknown adversary, his opponent's shape hidden by the inky darkness around him. Khalid's advisary grabbed him by the throat, wicked fingers digging deep into the soft flesh. If he had been able to, Khalid would have screamed as a cold steel dagger plugged itself into his belly. Something in the demeanor of who- or what attacked Khalid has changed. Dropping him as if suddenly disinterested, Khalid is released unto his own two feet. Too weak to stand he begins to fall back. Spinning head over heals, Khalid tumbles down the slope, finally landing on his shoulder at the base of the hill; the remaining rocks dislodged by his fall skitter to a stop around him.

Khalid wakes with the sunlight dancing in his eyes. slowly wigling his fingers and toes, he continues to asess the damage. lightly pressing along his chest, Khalid feels dry blood accross his ribcage. Moving his hand higher, Khalid gives a startled cough when he feels the sticky presence of blood on his throat. Khalid gently sits up and begins to bandage himself. Tearing his allready tattered shirt into long strips, he gently wrapped his neck and chest with the strips. Once he had bandaged himself, Khalid finaly began to study his surroundings.

The good news: Khalid managed to knock a nearly full waterskin off who ever attacked him the other night. The bad news: His lamenated bow is splintered in half. Having no choice but to continue on, Khalid picks up his quiver and waterskin before climbing the summit of the hill.

*crunch.... crunch..... crunch*

"I will have you know that I am always prepared, and I seldome if ever look the fool..and I have never died, nor do I intend to."

Salma takes a battle-ready stance next to Asim and calls out one more time in the same shrill mocking voice, "AHOY WATER-DEMONS! COME AND GET ME!"