• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WEEEEEEEEEEE!

I finally got my Vale Archers!

2 blister even

I figure I'll need at least 6 more Archer (three for my archery troop and three for range support for my command troop)

Now all I got to do is wait for the Vale guards to come out ::(:

What other Grunts/ adepts do the elves get? I assume each faction at least get 2 grunts and 1 adept, right?

I've tried a couple of different ways of putting my troops together, but so far what I like best is Selwyn with an accuracy upgrade, Caerwyn and as many Archer grungs as I can get away with. Need at least four to balance the inclusion of Caerwyn.

Then I've got another troup with Arnise (usually give her Minor Magical Armor), Lysette and as many fighters as I've got the points to field. Make sure Lysette has Dispell and Fireball, among other things.

It works pretty well. With the Archers dropping volleys and Lysette slinging spells, it gets real nasty. Since Caerwyn has Blazer, other archers in her troop with contiguous contact don't need to see what they are shooting at. As long as Caerwyn can see the target, they can all volley it at a range of 36". Very nasty, believe me!

I'd like some suggestions as to a starter elven faction. Being without the rulebook and having not looked at the cards in several days, I'm open to suggestions. I'm looking to just get off the ground with this one, max of about 4 troops that will be fun to play over and over.

I'm thinking:

the Prince, Nirodel(cleric), fighter/mage, Arnise, 2 archers, 1 warriors(maybe 2), I have Mossbeard, proxy polearms, and the female wizard that I can borrow.

currently I'm looking at only three troops and one solo until more leader models are released.

Prince Danithal

Lysette

Arynn

5x archers

4x warriors

Selwyn (I'll be using a proxy for her)

Cearwyn

9x Archers

Arnise

Niriodel

9x warriors

Centuar

That's my current plan (subject to change after I get my rule book :;): )

Im planning on playing the elves as well as overlords.

And Cerridwyn, your army plan is similar to what I was thinking about just today. :poke:

That's cool, Ech. The thing you need to keep in mind is that you need lots of distance between yourself and your opponent. If you are unsure about getting a favorable starting position, use Death Seakers with Arnise; all your troops except Lysette will have Ranger, so you will get a movement between troop placement and beginning of the first turn to manuver with.

Any particular reason you chose the set-up discribed?

Saint: you have a cool roster; how many points is that? Looks like a lot.

Well, I do still have my 2000 pt army list here.  I need to modify it to add some weapon upgrades to the grunts.

I haven't thought about it much.  It was mostly to test out my XSL stylesheet for Army Builder.

OOH, me like! ::o: Consider it dully swiped, Flynn; I'm printing a copy now. :wub:

Is the printed layout what you get if you use Army Builder? Or is that set up in Excel?

It's not Excel. It is XSL, which is a stylesheet for XML text. Basically you take the XML output from Army Builder, and apply the XSL stylesheet to the XML file by adding a single line to the XML file.

I'm sure that makes no sense to most people on the forums. I'll have to write a tutorial for it, and provide a download link to the XSL file.

You can print the output, but I still need to work out some page break issues.

Im planning on playing the elves as well as overlords.

And Cerridwyn, your army plan is similar to what I was thinking about just today.  :poke:

That's cool, Ech. The thing you need to keep in mind is that you need lots of distance between yourself and your opponent. If you are unsure about getting a favorable starting position, use Death Seakers with Arnise; all your troops except Lysette will have Ranger, so you will get a movement between troop placement and beginning of the first turn to manuver with.

Any particular reason you chose the set-up discribed?

Saint: you have a cool roster; how many points is that? Looks like a lot.

:huh: points? :huh:

::(:

D'oh I knew I forgot something!

Its more or less a theoritical army since A: I don't know what I'm doing, and B: I don't have all the grunts I need yet ::(:

But that is the core roster for my elves. From there I add or subtract models to meet a senrio's needs

It's not Excel.  It is XSL, which is a stylesheet for XML text.  Basically you take the XML output from Army Builder, and apply the XSL stylesheet to the XML file by adding a single line to the XML file.

I'm sure that makes no sense to most people on the forums.  I'll have to write a tutorial for it, and provide a download link to the XSL file.

You can print the output, but I still need to work out some page break issues.

So, I'm guessing that this works kinda like a Merge in a word processor. The export file from Army Builder functions as the Data File of a merge would. The XSL stylesheet works the same as a merge form, taking the data file and making it nice and pretty.

What program do you use to manipulate this, or is it striclty coding?