Sign in to follow this  
SOldcorn

Andy Chambers goes to Mongoose Publishing

I'm expecting great things from Mongoose when it comes to this. Aside from the Debacle surrounding the original release of their Conan RPG, they've consistently produced quality products, and the minis looks fairly good, even in the mostly low-quality pics that have been floating around.

Besides which, having met Andy at several games days I came to the conclusion that he really just wants to make great games from conversations I had with him. I think (but this is just opinion) that his departure from GW likely came from personal frustration in dealing with the "My army needs" brand of fanboyism that GW games tend to engender.

I love Mongoose as a company, excepting actual DnD books I have most of their range, infact my copy of "A call to arms" (Babylon 5 Space Combat Game) should be arriving at home round about now.

I hope that Andy Chambers will bring good things to Starship Troopers. Likewise having spoken with him on several occassions I know he wants to make great games. I just hope GW hasn't left to great a mark on him.

Paranoia XP gets a big thumbs up from me, but so does Judge Dredd and Babyon 5 RPG and Slaine and .....

Stuart

I've got some of the SST prototype models and they are really nice. I also got some of the Judge Dredd models too - which actually fill in not too badly with the older citadel dredd stuff. The Foundry dredd stuff is just way to pricey.

I've always liked Bob Naismith's sci-fi work though (and some of the Deadlands figures too).

Anyways... his SSTs are *great* especially if you are a fan of the Roughnecks animated series.. which isn't all that bad - despite being aimed at the 'tweens demographic market.

This is the first I've really seen of ST from Mongoose but the models look cool and with the addition of Andy Chambers I would almost say I'm excited about it.

I love Mongoose as a company, excepting actual DnD books I have most of their range, infact my copy of "A call to arms" (Babylon 5 Space Combat Game) should be arriving at home round about now.

One of the guys in my group writes gaming reviews semi-professionally and got a review copy of this. We tried it out last night. Not a bad game. A few similarities to Battlefleet Gothic (though he enjoyed it more because it has counters, and no minis to assemble! Yes, he's a minis heretic...), but some of the weapons really seem to work like they do in B5. We're going to play a fleet game on Sat afternoon. The only gripe I have about it (besides no minis in the core box) is that the game really could have used some cheat sheets for the tables, etc. They put a poster in the box, money that could have been much better spent on a pair of cardboard cheat sheets...

Damon.

Just as a point of clarification, Andy's not actually a mongoose employee -- they've contracted him to work on Starship Troopers.