DAILY QUESTION THREAD ( GTKY) MARCH 2023 by GLITTERWOLF

I love musicals and live theatre. I've been to more shows than I can remember, as my parents subscribed to the Broadway series of touring shows from before me through the time I was in high school, and sometime in elementary school it became apparent to everyone that it was better to buy a third ticket and take me along than leave me with a babysitter. The two times I stayed in London in college I went to as many same day bargain ticket shows as I could. The second time, 4 weeks studying art history, I had a ticket for the night's showing of Hamlet within four or five hours of getting off the plane.  

Film of actual live performances, like Rue McClanahan in Nunsense or Angela Lansbury in Sweeney Todd are usually good. I've enjoyed non musical plays as movies on TV. Movies made of stage musicals are hit and miss. Phantom of the Opera was butchered. Les Mis, the last movie I saw in a theater, was okay, but some casting just wasn't good.(Looking at you gladiator, borat, and Bellatrix). I get motion sick watching things on large screens, coupled with getting more and more sensitive to loud noises and lights moving as I age. Spending too long watching TV with dad, and the TV isn't really that big, can give me a splitting headache. I had eye problems using mom's 17" laptop when my 14" was broken. 

Live concerts are much more problematic anymore, for reasons above. Last year I went to two concerts, for the first time in many years. I love Tori Amos, but the crowd was loud and sometimes drunk, and the stage lighting was murder. I literally couldn't watch the encore, the lights hurt so much. Decided I better swear off rock ish and pop ish concerts, but decided to chance going to the Mary Chapin Carpenter show anyway. It was lovely. Quiet, subduly staged folk music without an open bar I can handle. Other stuff I'd probably better stick to cds. Though if somehow Frank Turner were performing in central Ohio, I would have to do some serious thinking

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Thoramel said:

I made that exact same mistake several years back! Thought I was going to see a Dracula play, got ballet instead. What was weird was that it was at the theater where we have plays and musicals and opera and such instead of at the ballet met where you'd expect it. 

You gotta watch that. I had a friend attend an event. He thought Shawn Mendez was a guy playing Spanish guitar. Oh boy, did he get a surprise. Probably my biggest surprise was paleo day, which is pronounced pal-ee-oh, not pay-lee-oh, and had nothing to do with dinosaurs. It was kind of a horse race put on by the different "local" Catholic churches at the rodeo grounds in Strathmore. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question March 2nd.

Concerts/Theatre/Musicals etc...

Do you like them?

And do you prefer to go there or see it on TV/Screen at home?

I love live theater, and I like concerts of a small size.  DH doesn't like to go out for anything, but we did attend a winter themed harp concert in December.   We haven't been to anything else in years, even before COVID, and aren't likely to any time soon.  DH would rather watch on his computer at home. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

WEEKEND QUESTION

March 3rd /March 5th

Is there a show/concert/movie/play etc.. that stuck in your memory for a reason?

Why? Good/bad memory?

Which/what one?

Can you share pictures of that?

Is there a show/concert/movie/play etc..you regret not attending/seeing?

Why?

Is there a show/ concert/movie/play etc.. you're looking forward to in the near future? Which one?

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 5

Several memories. I don't remember the plot of The Fantasticks (sic?), but I remember Robert Goulet's mic being tuned so loud my ears hurt for the entire show. As I was very young, I developed a loathing of the actor himself I still can't quite break. 

On the other end, there was seeing Les Mis in London with my hs drama club. We were all pretty exhausted by that point, so a lot of us were just blubbering at the barricade scene. We were also in the highest seats in the back of the theatre, so we could see over the set. If you haven't seen it, Les Mis is staged on a giant turntable. So the barricade turned to the back to ready the next scene, and we watched all the dead people get up and walk back to the wings. Didn't stop the crying, but the absurdity had us laughing too.

One more was our college campus bringing in a touring company of Rent 2nd year. Most of the girls on our half of the floor went together, having already memorized the entire show from one person sharing the soundtrack. We walked up the hill and back singing everything, even songs like Voice-mail #1. 20 years on, if certain phrases that are in the show pop up, I mentally complete lines. Something: "....there's hope." Mind:"But just in case, rope!"

I regret missing out on Hadestown a year ago as the weather was bad and I was feeling too sick to drive in it. Other regret I can think of was finding out day of that two hours away there was a concert with Joan Baez, Mary Chapin Carpenter, and the Indigo Girls. There was no way I could have driven it on such short notice and go to work the next day. But what a line-up. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION March 3rd—

Is there a …concert…  that stuck in your memory for a reason?

There is. Yes. 

Why?

Because of who I saw it with. 

Good/bad memory?

Good. 

Which/what one?

The concert was a solo performance by a piano player. Jazz-classical-fusion (?) style. His name was George ____? circa 2005. (After a little digging I think it might have been George Winston)

I have none from the event. 

Edited by TGP
Name of the performance
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

WEEKEND QUESTION

March 3rd /March 5th

Is there a show/concert/movie/play etc.. that stuck in your memory for a reason?

Why? Good/bad memory?

Which/what one?

Why?

Is there a show/ concert/movie/play etc.. you're looking forward to in the near future? Which one?

When my wife and I had started dating, we went to the Weird Al concert over here. The venue wasn't great for him, but he made work. Managed to get Weird Al fridge magnets and trading cards, still have them here somewhere.

As for concerts here, KISS just announced that they'll be coming here for their tour this summer. Doubt that I'll be going, but I'm glad we can bring in some big names to this province.

Edited by Pezler the Polychromatic
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Why? Good/bad memory?

Which/what one?

Oh yeah, plenty of good and bad memories. There was that Skinny Puppy - Last Rights tour where they simulated an assassination of the lead singer on stage at the end of the show. It was super convincing and a bit traumatic. I remember seeing Ian Astbury of The Cult get mad at some biker scumbag and jump off stage and beat him with a tambourine on the Sonic Temple tour. I was at a Grateful Dead show in Indiana in 95 when a bunch of hippies tore down the fence around the amphitheater and swarmed into the show. That was kind of crazy and I think Keller Williams wrote a song about that. Got to see Gogol Bordello at a private club so small that I got to dance with the female singer during the song Immigraniada, that was just awesome. Saw the Chieftains with the Cincinnati ballet back in the 80s, they put on a heck of a great folk show and kept messing with the tempo and throwing off the dancers to the point where one walked off stage, which was hilarious. I saw Davy Jones perform on a flat bed trailer at a pizza festival in Toledo, OH for $2 one time and that guy put way more love and talent into that little show than some bands I've seen at giant stadiums for a lot more money, that performance is kind of burned in my memory because it was just so energetic and positive. Anyways, I do believe I'm rambling, this list could go on and on, but we'll stop it there.

No pictures. Given my age most of these occurred before everyone had a camera in their pocket. And I just don't take a lot of photos when enjoying a live show.

Why?

I regret never having seen Frank Zappa. Had a few opportunities and figured he'd be touring forever, now if I want to see a band I make the effort just in case.

I've got tickets to go see They Might Be Giants perform the entire Flood album at the end of the month. I've seen them several times and they always put on a great show, so looking forward to this one.

Edited by Thoramel
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

WEEKEND QUESTION

March 3rd /March 5th

Why? Good/bad memory?

Which/what one?

Why?

3: Got to see ABBA on their last tour, surprised me at how good it was. Also, just recently went to Dixie Stampede in Branson, MO, and it was a LOT of fun.

4: Several concerts when I was younger, that I couldn't get tickets to.

5: Nothing on the radar yet...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Why? Good/bad memory?

Which/what one?

A few. I have specific memories of almost every concert I've attended, but then I've only attended about a dozen or so concerts in my life.  The three that really stand out are:

1. Stevie Nicks - Stage was completely dark when she walked out on to stage in a white flowy dress and black boots, then a single ultraviolet spotlight shone down on her.  She looked like a ghost floating on the stage. The effect was so cool and yet so simple. I don't even remember what song she sang - just the visual. 

2. Styx in 1991.  This memory wasn't from the concert itself, but at work a few hours before the concert.   At the time I was 26 and working equipment maintenance at an amusement park.  One of the cashiers, a girl who was only 16, asked me why I was in such a good mood. When I told her I was going to the Styx concert that night, she gave me a blank look and asked "Who's Styx".  She didn't recognize a single Styx song.  That was the first time I ever felt old. 

3. Styx in the mid 2000s.  The last concert I ever went to.  It was too loud, too crowded and I got a contact high from all the weed.   Had to go to the bathroom mid performance, and while myself and a dozen or so other guys were in there someone asked "OK, admit it - how many of us drove our minivans here?"  Laughter erupted. 

I don't have any concerts I regret missing, but I do still hope to go see a concert at Red Rocks in Morrison, CO.  Used to live around the corner from there for decades, and yet never managed to go see a concert there (well, unless you count the band playing at a high school graduation, which I don't). 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 3/2/2023 at 3:36 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question March 2nd.

Concerts/Theatre/Musicals etc...

Do you like them?

And do you prefer to go there or see it on TV/Screen at home?

In general, I do like concerts but I've not seen many plays or musicals.  I remember seeing The Nutcracker and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow while in grade school.  And a bunch of us from the office went to see The Rocky Horror Show one year.  

19 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

WEEKEND QUESTION

March 3rd /March 5th

Why? Good/bad memory?

Which/what one?

Why?

I remember most of the concerts I've seen to a greater or lesser extent (Motley Crue, AC/DC/Love/Hate, Metallica, Metallica/Guns'N'Roses/Body Count, Anthrax/Megadeth/Slayer/Alice in Chains, Ozzy Osbourne?Ugly Kid Joe/Slaughter, a blues festival, Anthrax/Deftones/Life of Agony, Anthrax/Pantera/Coal Chamber, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Tool/Tomahawk, Neal Diamond .  There are bits that stand out from each.  I don't think I've ever had a "bad" experience at a concert, but I've had a scare or two--mostly related to the potential of losing my glasses.  That actually happened at Anthrax/Deftones/Life of Agony.  I got lucky that someone (actually a former coworker) saw them on the ground and snagged them before anyone stepped on them.  No pictures from any of them.  I'm not even sure if I've got any of the t-shirts anymore.

There are several I regret not seeing.  The first is Warren Zevon (he only came through one or two more times after that), the second was a festival that had Garbage headlining, and the third was an appearance by Postmodern Jukebox that I didn't find out about until a day before the concert and it was too late to get my act together, and the fourth a different festival but featuring Rob Zombie this time.  Oh, and Alice Cooper.  All performers that I happen to really enjoy.

I wish there were upcoming events that I was looking forward to seeing.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2023 at 2:53 AM, Glitterwolf said:

WEEKEND QUESTION

March 3rd /March 5th

Why? Good/bad memory?

Which/what one?

Why?

For movies, the biggest would have been walking into Empire (the line was so long we got in during the Han/Chewie/Probe Droid scene).  I'd only seen the first one on TV.  Life changing.

For concerts, the Damaged Justice Tour. First, Queensryche's drummer catching a glowstick and throwing it back to the audience, mid song. Second, as they prepped the stage for Metallica, hearing/feeling them crank up the volume even with nothing playing.  And finally, during the encore, during One, on "Landmine", the pyro was so loud it felt like the whole building was picked up, moved about 5 feet to the side, and set back down....

No pics for either, that was all well pre smart phone.

Could have gone to see Judas Priest within the last couple years.  Should have, but didn't.

Going to see a Tragically Hip cover band later this month, should be fun.

Movies, there are lots I look forward to seeing, but nothing huge that I'm super eager to see.  More just sequels and the occasional "that looks like it could be neat" kind of stuff.

• Like 8

My first ( big names) concert was Judas Priest with Opening Acts: Def Leppard and Accept.

So that made a big impression on me.

Good memories.

And I have seen Motörhead live several times, since that's my alltime favorite band it was awesome.

One bad memory, I went to see Slayer with a friend of mine and then some guy stabbed another guy even before the opening act started.

This was around their first album so we were in a small venue and we decided to head home and ended up not seeing the show.

My regrets: Not seeing Queen live, Not seeing KISS live.

• Like 7

On 3/3/2023 at 12:53 AM, Glitterwolf said:

WEEKEND QUESTION

March 3rd /March 5th

Why? Good/bad memory?

Which/what one?

Why?

The show that sticks with me was bad and frankly offensive.  My wife and I went to see a traveling professional group performing Jesus Christ Superstar.  For reasons that I do not understand, they decided to portray the apostles as petty criminals and vandals.  And just to make sure the audience did not mistake this for some sort of subversive but still Christian message, while Judas sang "Jesus Christ Superstar" they had a bunch of women in bikinis dancing around and rubbing up against a giant cross on stage.

The singing was very well done; I spent half the musical with my eyes closed, just listening.  But those visuals really ruined the entire show.

EDIT: I should add two things here.  First, I'm not exactly what you call a devout Christian, I just happen to love this musical.  So it wasn't my religious sensibilities that were at issue.  Second, much of what bothered me was the anachronism; when I say that they portrayed the apostles as criminals and vandals, what I mean is they seem to have borrowed the costumes from a performance of West Side Story.  It wasn't even edgy so much as just silly.

Edited by GoldenPiggy
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GoldenPiggy said:

For reasons that I do not understand, they decided to portray the apostles as petty criminals and vandals.

FWIW

The Roman Authorities (Overlords) and the Jewish Sanhedrin did think the apostles were subversives criminals and vandals.  (They couldn’t be bothered to distinguish them from the “zealots” among other troublemakers they’d been having to deal with.)

But yes, the visuals you described sound dumb and offensive. Bikinis?! Sheesh. 

• Like 5