DH figures in Warlord

rhino-tamer

I was wondering if anyone would be mad if I used figures from darkheaven instead of only Warlord? I was also wondering if I was going to an official tournement would it be ok to use 1or2 figures from dark heaven? and last but not least will it be ok for now but once reaper comes out with more warlord stuff it wont?

-thanks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mad? Heck, I think more proxy users make it easier to encourage others to try out the game. The more that play, the faster it will grow in popularity.

For Reaper-sponsored events, to use faction abilities, you must field the correct models if they are released; if they are not released, you can use any Reaper miniatures to proxy.

Mercenary forces are the exception to this, as any Reaper models can be used, even if the corresponding mini is released.

Mercenary forces are the exception to this, as any Reaper models can be used, even if the corresponding mini is released.

That's the first I had heard of the Merc exception. What's your source? Even Alliance shows Merc grunts are to be released.

What's your source?

OLE, page 112:

These Special Abilities will also apply if you create a custom army of your own design - so long as you correspond the Orba Sinhan Data Card values to your Warlord, and likewise correspond the rest of your Fighting Company values to Mercenary Fighting Company Data Card values.

Which also, I believe, takes the award for "sentence with the most consecutive capitalized words...

I was wondering if anyone would be mad if I used figures from darkheaven instead of only Warlord?

I was also wondering if I was going to an official tournement would it be ok to use 1or2 figures from dark heaven?

and last but not least will it be ok for now but once reaper comes out with more warlord stuff it wont?

Official Answer:

Reaper Sponsored Tournaments may not allow the use of Generic cards, armies, or models, and must use official armies from Reaper publications and Reaper models, where such is possible. Proxies are only allowed for models not in production, and must be made from Reaper product.

so specifically for your questions...

no, not mad, but again depends on how you plan to use them whether or not they'd be allowed.

perhaps, depends on how you think you want to use them. for models not yet released, yes, just because they are cool, no.

the "for now" is covered by the not yet released part, replacing them ought to be done in a reasonably timely fashion.

<personal opinion>

if the Ivy crown archers release on a thursday prior to my tournement on a friday (day before arrival in game store) and I have people planning on fielding them as proxies, I personally would allow the proxies as long as they were indeed Reaper models. however the next occurance of a tournement a month later, I would not. the replacement ought to be done in a reasonably timely fashion.

</personal opinion>

:blink: no Merc exceptions.

cher :upside:

To clarify my position, here is the full text on Mercenaries in the Army Special Abilities section of the OLE:

Technically, the Mercenaries Data Cards are not really an Army.  They're for use in Freelance Fighting Companies to help those players flesh out their forces.  However, if yo field an all Mercenaries army led by the great Orba Sinhan and all Mercenary Affilitation Models (as if it were its own army) then you get the "Scoundrel's Luck" and "A Change of Heart" Army Special Abilities.  These Special Abilities will also apply if you create a custom army of your own design - so long as you correspond the Orba Sinhan Data Card values to your Warlord, and likewise correspond the rest of your Fighting Company values to Mercenary Fighting Company Data Card values.  So now you can field your all Hook Horror army, all Gaelen Highlanders, or all femal band of warrior amazons... enjoy!

(as a sub-note, the Orba Sinhan model was released before the OLE was...)

So, while nothing trumps the "proxies kill Army Special Abilities" rule, it doesn't apply to an all-merc Freelance force. The way it is written, actually, it equates not to an Army Special Ability, but rather to an Orba Sinhan Special Ability.

On another note, if you use A Change of Heart (lets you take one data card and switch the text to Mercenary/Neutral) you wouldn't be able to use proxies, as it is not a Mercenary Data Card.

My read of the 9/10/04 black lightning post is that ANY figures can be used in "demos", "events", and "non-Reaper sponsored Tournaments". Only in tournaments sponsored by Reaper is there a restriction.

My 67 DHA dwarves thank Reaper, as do I :poke:

This policy is a good one, and will make it very easy for people to join the Warlord ranks. I can allow a newcomer to field a competitor's figures when he tries out the game, by proxying the values. He's happy he gets to use his own figues, and we get to show off a great game system.....Try that in a certain competitor's shop.....

This policy is a good one, and will make it very easy for people to join the Warlord ranks.

Heck yeah!

If Reaper supports the event (with prize support or such), it is only fair to support them by using their models.

Interesting (to me at least) anecdote: I make it a point to use Warhammer figs when teaching Warlord to Warhammer players (though I keep my Warlord figs at tableside), as it allows them to scale the effectiveness of the units. Once they know the rules, I switch to the Reaper minis. And now, every one of them that plays regularly has stopped buying GW figs, and is phasing Reaper models into their Fighting Companies.

Thinking about it, Mercs are not really an exception to the proxy rule (though it works out that way), because the Merc paragraph basically says "any model is the correct model".

My opinion, of course, so do with it what you will - until Reaper Matt chimes in with an official statement. Until then (and hopefully after then!), think of the cool factor for the game to see Steven Page's Highlander force (which rocks!) on the table in official tournaments...

If Reaper supports the event (with prize support or such), it is only fair to support them by using their models.

At this point in time - the only events for which proxies are not currently allowed are the Summer Cons. Only Official Reaper Events - a BL event is a BL event, not strictly speaking a Reaper event . . . . so even BL demos and events which have Reaper Prize support may use Proxies. (Unless the BL AO says otherwise).

Go Forth and Proxy! Use DH figs where possible - it helps continuity visually, since both lines share many of the same sculptors . . .

@Rhino - At an official event you may only proxy models not yet available. Since most people don't want to repeiant their entire army, If you plan on playing in official events, I would reccomend proxying sparingly. OTOH - If you are not planning on atttending official events - see below.

@Tommy - Yes. have fun. build a force to suit your tastes and needs, and as long as your opponent is clear on the why's and what's of your company - I say COME GET SOME!

Thanks for that detail, Bryan. I've got players who have worked very hard to purchase, modify and paint stand-ins for the not-yet-released Reptus figures - I'd hate to penalize them for their eagerness to play the game by saying "you can't use that, get the new one."

All the minis they used are Reaper figs.

I'm guessing that the same does not hold true for us Black Lightning types - we should replace stand-ins with Warlord Minis as soon as they become available.