Gaming at Reapercon 2023

buckyball

1 hour ago, ejala said:

Not that I'm sure I'll be able to come, but would any of these games be accessible to someone with essentially no understanding of 98% of ttrpgs?  The 'no experience necessary' game of dnd I played at last year's Origins left me completely confused, frustrated, and with no understanding of the game aside from that my only rpg, Dragon Storm, has basically no mechanics in common with anything else.  Also slightly horrified at the number of mind control 'date rape' spells the magic users were pulling out of their hats.

Otherwise, anyone like Ticket to Ride? Crayon games? 

If anything, my Valley of the Gilded Tower is a beginner friendly game. It's only 2nd level of 5e D&D. I'll help yah play + the other players are pretty welcoming to other players & are willing to help a newbie out in the game.

Also @ReaperWolf aka Joseph Wolf is very player friendly GM & he's running the official games for ReaperCon.

• Like 3

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, ejala said:

Not that I'm sure I'll be able to come, but would any of these games be accessible to someone with essentially no understanding of 98% of ttrpgs?  The 'no experience necessary' game of dnd I played at last year's Origins left me completely confused, frustrated, and with no understanding of the game aside from that my only rpg, Dragon Storm, has basically no mechanics in common with anything else.  Also slightly horrified at the number of mind control 'date rape' spells the magic users were pulling out of their hats.

And I am sure some of us will be running demo games for new players.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ejala said:

Sure.  I know that Stargrave has free solo rules online that you can look up and familiarize yourself with.  Also a fairly friendly FB group when it comes to rules questions.  That game is based on the fantasy rules of Frostgrave, and video tutorials and help guides for that can also be found online.   Likewise I am sure there are guides for the other games online, as well as player communities where you can ask questions.   Most people are going to assume you have some familiarity with RPGs or wargames, particularly some form of D&D or Warhammer.  Most of the skirmish games above assume you have some idea of tactics and strategy when moving your units around on the game table and attacking your enemies. 

You can learn a lot about these games just by doing searches. There are tons of "how to play" guides. You'll find the communities and see what kinds of people inhabit them.  Most of these games are about killing the other guy.  The concept for D&D is that you play the heroes, but the in-joke is that you play "murder hobos", essentially homeless wanderers who kill and pillage for a living.    If that kind of game play is distasteful or triggering for you, then I suggest you take @Chaoswolf's advice and look for the board game area for a different style of entertainment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2023 at 8:29 AM, ejala said:

Also slightly horrified at the number of mind control 'date rape' spells the magic users were pulling out of their hats.

I don't remember exactly when it occurred to me how many options D&D wizards (and even clerics, honestly) have for this sort of thing.  I think it was in my late teenage years, and it helped me realize that magic in real life would probably be a really, really bad thing.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 7:29 AM, ejala said:

I've never heard of Dragon Storm tbh & if players started using spells like that I would let everyone know the game will be cancelled if it continues. D&D/Pathfinder has Charm & Mind control spells, but I would never allow anyone to use them in that matter.

The person that does, really should just get up & leave as they have bigger problems I can't solve for them.

• Like 3

On 4/16/2023 at 8:29 AM, ejala said:

Also slightly horrified at the number of mind control 'date rape' spells the magic users were pulling out of their hats.

Everyone carries on about how evil necromancers are and don't even spare a second glance at the enchanters......

but back on subject - I am pulling stuff together this year to actually run a game or two. I'm hoping to run nonstandard stuff, either old edition D&D or some Savage Worlds or Storypath stuff.  Old D&D would be mostly for nostalgia, but SW or Storypath stuff I'd essentially be running a quickstart designed for new players, and plan on teaching core mechanics at the same time as guiding the story.

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

Everyone carries on about how evil necromancers are and don't even spare a second glance at the enchanters......

but back on subject - I am pulling stuff together this year to actually run a game or two. I'm hoping to run nonstandard stuff, either old edition D&D or some Savage Worlds or Storypath stuff.  Old D&D would be mostly for nostalgia, but SW or Storypath stuff I'd essentially be running a quickstart designed for new players, and plan on teaching core mechanics at the same time as guiding the story.

Yah I debated on running older systems this year, but I really wanted to run Kelsey's adventures in the rules she made it for. 

I played a game of Savage Worlds at RCon one year, @Froggy the Great was the GM for that one. Thou, I bailed after about 20 mins as it was at the end of the day & I was dead tired that year for some reason. If I have any free time I may look into the games.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GoldenPiggy said:

Can anyone sign up to run a game, or are there prerequisites of some sort?  I would love to DM something in old-school Dungeons and Dragons (1st or 2nd ed., I haven't decided which yet), but I've never done this before so I am a little hesitant.

Anyone can run a game. Just go to the reapercon.com site. You should see the sign up page.

Okay, I guess I will try to run 4 blocks of games. Now, should I try to run one block of Stargrave, Frostgrave, Ghost Archipelago and Rangers of Shadowdeep, or 2 each of two of these games? The choice boils down to running Intro games of the 4, or an Intro set and then a follow on set.

Which would most folks who are actually wanting to play/try these games and which ones?

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Okay, I guess I will try to run 4 blocks of games. Now, should I try to run one block of Stargrave, Frostgrave, Ghost Archipelago and Rangers of Shadowdeep, or 2 each of two of these games? The choice boils down to running Intro games of the 4, or an Intro set and then a follow on set.

Which would most folks who are actually wanting to play/try these games and which ones?

I would like to play a game of Rangers of Shadow Deep. I am running two sessions of Incinerator on Friday, but I wont get to play in those games.

buckyball

• Like 1

FWIW, if anyone is interested in a demo of any of the Warlord Games line, please stop by the booth and we can either run something then and there, or set something up for later!

Warlords of Erewhon/Mythic Americas: small unit skirmish battles (same rules – different settings).  Warlords allows you to use whatever fantasy miniatures you wish!

Strontium Dog/Judge Dredd/Slaine: skirmish games with fewer than a dozen figures, that all use the same core rule set in different settings from the AD 2000 Comic books.

Bolt Action: 28mm WWII (and Korea) combat system

Gates of Antares: 28mm Sci-fi small unit combat in a unique setting.

Gunfighters Ball: Skirmish combat in the Old West

Black Powder Epic American Civil War (ACW): Epic Scale combat!

Epic Pike & Shotte: ~15mm English Civil War/30 Years War

Black Seas: fast & fun ship to ship combat in the age of sail – Yarrr!

Cruel Seas: WWII 1/300 scale small ship combat. Have fun with the little ships of WWII!

Victory at Sea: WWII naval combat with the big ones!

Blood Red Skies: Fast & fun air to air combat in WWII.

• Like 2

On 4/25/2023 at 9:53 AM, Corsair said:

I keep meaning to try one of the *graves, and both sound appealing.  Learning at the con would be a great kickstart.  I have vague memories of enjoying metamorphosis alpha and Gamma World as a kid, so I’d lean towards learning stargrave if I had to pick one.  rangers is on my list to learn as well, so here’s a 2nd place vote for that!  I guess I’ll largely be locked in based on schedule, but I’d like to thank everyone committing to running games!  

• Like 1

• Reaper User
On 4/16/2023 at 10:50 AM, haldir said:

If anything, my Valley of the Gilded Tower is a beginner friendly game. It's only 2nd level of 5e D&D. I'll help yah play + the other players are pretty welcoming to other players & are willing to help a newbie out in the game.

Also @ReaperWolf aka Joseph Wolf is very player friendly GM & he's running the official games for ReaperCon.

Yup, I'll be there and gods willing joined by a few other DDRPG GMs wearing Reaper's colors.

• Like 2