paintminion

Gen Con SoCal...minions?

Hi fellow forum friends!

If anyone is going to Gen Con So Cal, please consider volunteering even a few hours to the Paint & Take. Hours are during the day, and depending on how many hours you volunteer you could get free paints, brushes, minis, or how about your BADGE? Ask anyone and they'll tell you I try to treat my minions right!

You do not have to be a painter to help. Running the sign-in, helping to change water, set and clean up the table all need some willing hands, painters or not. Instructors simply need to know and help people with basic brush care, drybrushing and washes, and help out wherever needed.

This is the same Paint & Take I run at Indy, and people like it so much, they're starting us up in So Cal this year. I need you! Indy runs so well because I have a great group of volunteers. I'm hoping to find another great group of volunteers on the west coast as well!

For information and to get yourself on my volunteers mailing list, please email me OFF the forum so we don't splatter the forum with a bunch of raised hands. ^_^

:devil:

I've been meaning to ask - what IS a "paint & take"? :huh:

Tommy.

"Paint & Take" is an event (generally sponsored by the different manufacturers of miniatures, paints, brushes, etc) where people can walk up to the event, sit down and be provided with a pre-primed mini and all the supplies to paint it.

A few people are available to provide help to the painters. When done, each painter leaves with the mini they painted.

This is designed to get them addicted, so they'll go out and buy lots of minis to paint in the future.

hehehe--what eastman said!

I've gone to the mini manufacturers (one of which our beloved Reaper is), and they get me the paints, brushes, minis, and then Gen Con gives me the rest of the supplies and the space and promotions, and I and my volunteers try to help as many people as possible get hook--I mean introduced to--the hobby. No pressure. If you want to learn basic techniques, we can help, or if you want to just paint a quick mini, you have various manufacturers to choose from. It's a great event to try out different paints or brushes as well.

Thus...Paint and Take it with you. Paint & Take. Not Paint & Leave or Paint and Abandon...what the heck would I do with all those weirdly painted minis? ::P: Paint it and Take it with you. Free and fun for all ages. :bday:

And if you happen to get hooked and start buying tons of minis and supplies, well, it's still all good, isn't it?

Starting a few weeks before the event, a group of volunteers preps the minis (remove flash and such, make sure the mini stands, straighten the bent pieces and give them a coat of spray primer).

A different group during the event will do the teaching (I've never seen that part up close, as I've never been a painter or volunteer at one).

Black Lightning does P&Ts at times, but GenCon isn't one of theirs.

Eastman is experienced in the prepping stage now as he helped prep stuff for Indy. It's the price you pay for being part of our painting group. :rolleyes:

Tommy, I'm not sure what your question is exactly, but I am not affiliated with any one manufacturer, just affiliated with Gen Con in that I volunteered to head this part of the organization for the conventions. I've been doing Paint & Takes for many years now. I prep, organize, promote, teach and clean-up. Yep, I volunteered for this... :rock:

Reaper is just one of our most helpful and supportive manufacturers that contribute to our needs (barring the occasional shipping problem :down: )

Black Lightning members often do Paint-n-Takes as part of their events, but Reaper (and many other Manufacturers) support Paint-n-Takes not associated with our company directly to promote interest in the hobby. Your FLGS, if it has a play or demo area, would probably let you host something like this - There is no BL presence in Australia or I would reccomend one of them for your demo.

Black Lightning members often do Paint-n-Takes as part of their events, but Reaper (and many other Manufacturers) support Paint-n-Takes not associated with our company directly to promote interest in the hobby. Your FLGS, if it has a play or demo area, would probably let you host something like this - There is no BL presence in Australia or I would reccomend one of them for your demo.

Many stores are begging for people to run these types of events. Talk to your local stores or local conventions. Paint and Takes are fun for the whole family. And thanks, Reaper, for supporting! ::D: