Silat, a War Crow Miniature

Jester

I'm so frustrated right now with this piece of work... Huge miniature, good detail...

However having to paint that %(&$()*& axe 12 times is a bit much even for me!

Oh well... live and learn. I have done my best and worst NMM on this figure. The gold on the axe I'm damn proud of, plus I made some mental breakthru in terms of paint application. However, the Steel NMM... GRRRR...

Being so frustrated with painting such a large NMM area, I just did what any good hack artist would do, break it down into more manageable areas by applying some freehand. It still sucks, but it's much prettier to look at. <_<

silat00.jpg

Now I'm just going to find something and paint it entirely NMM Gold... :lol:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're being too critical of yourself dude! That is one kick booty paintjob all around. I don't see anything wrong with the steel, it looks like....well, steel, so mission accomplished?

The gold on the axe haft does look sweet...what is that combo? Looks like, Beasty Brown, then Snakebite, then Skull White? I love the way it came out. It's really close to a recipe I stumbled across at one point, but I can't seem to match lately...care to share your formula?

The gold medallion on his neck, well the gold on that is just tremendously done. It looks a little too brown to be gold, but it also contrasts well with the skin of the mini and looks good with the yellow gem set into the medallion.

What more can I say, it's just a beautiful, glowing piece. Congrats.

You're being too critical of yourself dude! That is one kick booty paintjob all around. I don't see anything wrong with the steel, it looks like....well, steel, so mission accomplished?

AGREED!!!!!!!

*Baps Jester for being to hard on himself*

Jester it may have taken you several tries to get it right but it is still gorgeous and an amazing paintjob.

White area

Wash with Charred Brown... 3:1 Water:paint ratio

Charred brown + Parasite brown

Charred brown + Parasite brown + Scrouflous brown

Charred brown + Parasite brown + 2 Scrouflous brown

Charred brown + Parasite brown + 2 Scrouflous brown + Skull white

Charred brown + Parasite brown + 2 Scrouflous brown + 2 Skull white

Charred brown + Parasite brown + 2 Scrouflous brown + 3 Skull white

Skull white

Titanium white (Liquitex Tube Acrylic)

But that's the recipe, not the method. I could type til my fingers fall off and not be able to describe how I apply the stuff... <_<

All this is THINNED PAINT!!! Don't blame me if a) you don't thin it enough and b) you don't let each layer dry sufficiently to check for colors... :lol:

Also, it's a LOT of paint to use, but this is the best recipe that I like. So I'm going to finally stick with it.

*Baps Jester for being to hard on himself*

Jester it may have taken you several tries to get it right but it is still gorgeous and an amazing paintjob.

Several tries???? Several tries!!!!

A dozen tries til I finally took a page from Darkstar's work and did the freehand! So on the 13th try I got lucky!!! It took so much I ran out of Chaos Black and Skull White! :blink:

BTW - For the record, this miniature is 3" tall without the base, and the axe blade is 1 1/4" from top point to bottom point on the front blade... It's friggin' HUGE!

Just curious how are the WC minis?? Couple in the line wouldn't mind tryin myself someday.

I have purchased all of them from a local store. Pretty clean in terms of mold lines and overall appearance. A bit on the large size (more like 30mm) to me. But they're not that bad overall.

You know me, I just love to spread the paint around... :wub:

Being so frustrated with painting such a large NMM area, I just did what any good hack artist would do, break it down into more manageable areas by applying some freehand. It still sucks, but it's much prettier to look at. <_<

Shhhhhhh!

Keep it quiet!!!

You are giving it all away, I tell you!!!

::P:

Awesome model. I just love the color choices, and the blends flow nicely.

The chrome finish on the axehead is really gorgeous, although I like the front a bit more than the back.

The sculpt itself seems to have some minor issues (I for one, would have liked it best with a fluffier mane), but it is really impressive work.

Shhhhhhh!

Keep it quiet!!!

You are giving it all away, I tell you!!!

::P:

Awesome model. I just love the color choices, and the blends flow nicely.

The chrome finish on the axehead is really gorgeous, although I like the front a bit more than the back.

The sculpt itself seems to have some minor issues (I for one, would have liked it best with a fluffier mane), but it is really impressive work.

Yes, the mane could be "fluffier" as you put it.

And I actually like the back of the axe more than the front. Oh well...

Sorry, I didn't mean to give any secrets away! Oops!

My blending on most of the mini was pretty quick and painless. I did like the color choices, except now I think I'd rather go back and repaint the center of the spiral to resemble either a big ruby or sapphire instead.

Can you imagine me re-painting something 13 times??? OMG!!! I thought my wife was going to chain me up to get me to calm down. :lol:

Yes, but did you have your shirt off? That's the real issue here... 

Yes, I paint with my shirt on, but my arms and hands off the table!

And I actually like the back of the axe more than the front. Oh well...

I was going to say that, though I wasnt sure if it was a result of the photo.

The back is definately more striking than the front. But its still all very pretty. :)

Well this was a case of the front was done first as a test, and then the back. Next time I do it the OTHER way around... :lol:

White area

Wash with Charred Brown... 3:1 Water:paint ratio

Charred brown + Parasite brown

Charred brown + Parasite brown + Scrouflous brown

Charred brown + Parasite brown + 2 Scrouflous brown

Charred brown + Parasite brown + 2 Scrouflous brown + Skull white

Charred brown + Parasite brown + 2 Scrouflous brown + 2 Skull white

Charred brown + Parasite brown + 2 Scrouflous brown + 3 Skull white

Skull white

Titanium white (Liquitex Tube Acrylic)

Yeah buddy! Thanks. Damn though, I don't have Scrouflous yet...well, off to spend some more jing over at fantization!