Help!

Enchantra

Alright yesterday I was out shopping and I bought this beautiful purple lace nightgown. Problem happens to be the store that sells it burns incense and heaven only knows what else. I have washed it TWICE already and am now air fluffing it in the dryer with a dryer sheet to try to rid it of that incense smell. The material is 100% nylon.

Any ideas how to get rid of the smell??? I'm allergic to incense as are most people I live with.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't panic!!! Unless the garment has an expiration date on it everything will be fine. :poke:

Hang it out doors or somewhere it might "air out".

Or, as the washer fills (I'm assuming it's delicate being a nightgown)

set the washer to appropriate setting and add a touch of bleach which

kills most anything. ONLY a touch ... like 10:1 or more in water so it

doesn't eat it's way through the material.

Yes, Ichabod, has washed his share of girlfriend's unmentionables. :wub:

Add extra dryer sheets when you fluff dry it, too.

As a last resort, take it back and hang it in the store the next time they happen

to be burning a different flavor of incense. Get that new car smell going.

Thanks guys, though due to the nature of the nightgown hanging it outside would get questions from my Father I do not want. Right now it is hanging up in my room. I don't know to many Father's who want to see something purple and lacey hanging on the clothesline and find out it belongs to their daughter. :lol:

well, agreed. Perhaps tho' you could hang it on a friend's clothesline?? A good, discreet distance from your own house?

anyway, good luck!! Me personally, i have lots of purple silk - tho' only a little with lace....

cd

Actually I was pondering hanging it in the bathroom when I take my next shower to see if the steam would help it any. After two washings, some febreeze and an air fluff cycle with a dryer sheet it is much better though still not perfect.

I would try bleach but I'm to afraid of accidentally spotting the material.

Not to mention the tag says "Do not use bleach."

I do wonder if one of my friends has a clothesline. Most live in apartment complexes.

Thanks guys, though due to the nature of the nightgown hanging it outside would get questions from my Father I do not want.  Right now it is hanging up in my room.  I don't know to many Father's who want to see something purple and lacey hanging on the clothesline and find out it belongs to their daughter.  :lol:

The other week, my teenage daughter came home after shopping with her friends, and proudly started pulling out her purchases to show me: lacy bras, and boy-short panties, and thongs. I just about died. ::P:

@Enchantra, I had to look at your profile bofore I made a comment. Over 25, I would think Dad would be more understanding. But I wouldn't want to drive around the corner and see my daughters frillies hanging in the breeze.

@Java, I can feel your pain. Got one 14, going on 24 - wears frilly little bookmarks (thongs) and both of us get a bit pink cheeked when the wrong person folds the laundry. :blush:

Back on topic, rinse in downey fabric softener. Or, try hanging them in the garage?