GTKY: Daily Question Thread - May 2023 Edition

52 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question, Tuesday May 9th.

Are you an "in bulk" or an "as you need" it kind of shopper?
This topic may just have come to mind due to the pending deliver of 20 kgs of 3D printer materials.....

More or less, "as you need" but there have been things I've ordered "in bulk" if the pricing was right.

• Like 10

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

This topic may just have come to mind due to the pending deliver of 20 kgs of 3D printer materials.....

If it will spoil, on an as-needed basis. Otherwise, I stock up, I get my money's worth from my Sam's Club membership. Generally anytime we go into the city, there's a Sam's Club run. I've vowed never to relive the horror of the Great Toilet Paper Shortage of 2020 ever again. Dark times.

Regarding hobby supplies, I don't really buy in bulk with those since I don't burn through them. I only purchase minis in bulk, or containers. If I have a coupon, I also buy in bulk. I got those Snapware stackable containers for $7 per unit (10x14" containers, two in a unit) after sale price plus an applicable coupon code, so I bought almost 20 of them... plus I got free shipping.

I really just hate the hassle of having to run out to buy something when I need it. I'm a fan of "I may need this later."

• Like 12

On 5/5/2023 at 6:42 AM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question, Monday May 8th.

Hobby check in time.  We're a week into May.  If you have hobby plans for May, how are they going?  If you don't, have you gotten any ad hoc hobbying in?

I finished that rotten Temple of the Written Word. You can see it on my Sandgrave topic. I'm still working on the big spring minis, but they're really coming along well now. I need to go to the craft store and buy some fimo for their bases, and I have to find some 1/4 inch plywood or something for custom bases. I want to re-do Khalith the Black, I started him, but zombie green isn't his colour. He needs to be stripped. It's been a while since Sandgrave has featured Reaper minis, so I'd like to finish him this month. I got my tax return and spent $100 on an Etsy custom order of Egyptian terrain. I actually make more terrain in the summer, since I can put the plaster out in the sun to dry, just like my old world heroes. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Both. Groceries like non food, canned stuff etc that's on sale..bulk.

Fresh stuff, limited shelf time, as I need it.

3d files/minis...eehhhh I need those large sets, okay?

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

"As you need it".

Going to the grocery shop every day gives the Housemate and I an excuse to go for a walk.

• Like 11

This question hurts a bit.  I'd like to be an "in bulk" shopper, but a combination of limited storage space and my wife's overly-broad definition of "clutter" makes me more of an "as you need" shopper.  I like to have extra stuff on hand, which sometimes annoys her.  I can't wait to see her reaction when my Bones 6 shipment shows up; it will probably cause some tension, but that was something I just had to get in bulk.

When it comes to groceries, though, the two categories are the same; I have four kids, two of them teenagers, so I have to buy in bulk just to keep up with their appetites.

• Like 11

And it's time for another episode of "True Confessions of a Food Hoarder". I buy lots of food, but I don't usually buy family sized packages. Mumsy bought me this really great Tupperware pump, so I stopped buying water in those little bottles and now have a giant jug in the kitchen. The only Costco-sized thing I buy is feminine hygine products. As long as you store them away from water, they keep forever. The store in the village is under new management, and everyone loves it. I buy a lot more in town now, so I don't need to buy for weeks at a time. When we go to the city, we buy lots of meat, as I can usually find it at a discount and the local store doesn't have as many cuts to choose from. 

Anything that requires paying for shipping, I buy in hundred dollar plus amounts. Once you cover that flat rate shipping, it's not much more to make a huge order versus a more modest one.  

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

As needed.

• Like 11

It depends, but we do less bulk now without mom around.  Dad and I only manage to share meals about half the time.  He's an early bird and doesn't eat as much, I'm a night owl and have meds that must be taken with food. Different tastes to a degree too.  So the old habit of getting a whole pork loin or half a eye of round and cutting several roasts out of it is a bit of a waste.  We weren't using the Sam's club membership enough to justify keeping it.  

I sometimes end up with semi bulk quantities by accident when ordering groceries for pickup.  If they claim quantities are low for something we're pretty brand agnostic on, like paper goods, I order everything I have a coupon for, 2-4 brands or sizes.  Started with the pandemic.  Means I'll probably get at least one.  Sometimes I get all four.  

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Both, depending on the particular item.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Depends on what it is.  Food that can store like freezer meat and dry goods I do bulk.  Most other things I buy as needed. Miniatures are definitely a bulk item.

• Like 12

8 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I'm both.  If it's filament, I'll order 5-10kg at a time because it just makes life easier, same with things like toilet paper (I'll buy the 24 pack of Mega rolls).  Also technically order pop in bulk, because it makes life easier... 

But a lot of things I tend to lean towards an as needed basis, because there's only so much shelf space, and especially fridge space is limited. 

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I'm a rather practical sort, so I prefer to purchase in whichever quantities make the most sense.

Unfortunately, it's Mrs. Strawhat that does the lists.  She's a bit less practical than I am, but still tries to purchase wisely based on price, longevity, and need.

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I get the vast majority of my miniatures from kickstarters and such. I consider that buying in bulk. Otherwise, not too much. However, my union just subsidized a Costco membership for us and I'm looking forward to checking it out. Not sure I'll be buying anything yet, but it's free, so might as well look.

• Like 11