GTKY: Daily Question Thread - May 2023 Edition

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question, Tuesday May 9th.

Are you an "in bulk" or an "as you need" it kind of shopper?
This topic may just have come to mind due to the pending deliver of 20 kgs of 3D printer materials.....

My wife and I both grew up in the country, back when a weekly or bi-weekly trip into town for groceries were the norm, and ordering something meant calling Sears and picking up the order in a week or two  on the next trip to town.

So we both come from families that generally stocked up on anything important.

We still do that.  My wife still plans "CostCo runs" every few weeks (our CostCo is 5 minutes from the house, it literally sits next to our grocery store that she goes to multiple times a week).

I tend to buy a lot of things in large quantities, especially hobby stuff, usually based on "plans".  So sometimes this works out, like the 10 kgs of filament coming today, as I only have 3 spools left.  Sometimes no so much, so I need to find somewhere to store the 10 kg of resin coming, since I've not been printing the  stuff I'd planned on, so I still have almost all of the last 10 kgs still sitting there under the table.

Minis, well, I do like my kickstarters.  3D models?  So many patreons.....

Everything else, well, we have a storage room and 3 freezers.

We could certainly stockpile less, and we talk about that, but a whole childhood of "if we don't have it, it could be a 4 hour round trip to go get it. Assuming we don't need to order it" makes it a hard instinct to suppress.

• Like 10

22 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

This topic may just have come to mind due to the pending deliver of 20 kgs of 3D printer materials.....

I am a bulk buying Guy. I like being overstocked...it's a security thing.

• Like 12

For non perishables I buy bulk.  When Covid Hit I was not worried about toilet paper or paper towels. In fact I haven't bought any toilet paper since shortly before covid, and I still have a decent supply on hand. Anything that will not spoil within a year or more I buy as much as I can store. I seem to have this same attitude toward miniatures too sadly. 

I dislike dealing with the public. On a good weekend I won't leave the house between Friday night and Monday morning, so being stocked up helps.

• Like 12

Question, Wednesday May 10th.

As I sit here trying to get my 3D printer to print, you know, like it was 10 minutes ago, and ponder the actual meaning of "self leveling" since it doesn't seem to mean what you'd thing, what piece of modern technology do you use, or would like to use, that you find frustrating in one manner or another?

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Both some things are bought in bulk due to how quickly we will go through them and others as needed.  If we are talking miniatures; bulk I have enough to last me years if I did nothing but paint, decades at my current pace.

11 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

As I sit here trying to get my 3D printer to print, you know, like it was 10 minutes ago, and ponder the actual meaning of "self leveling" since it doesn't seem to mean what you'd thing, what piece of modern technology do you use, or would like to use, that you find frustrating in one manner or another?

My 3D printer,  I need to strip the software from it and reload it.  I'm not expecting it to go smoothly or on the first try and have been putting it off.  I also have had problems with the dual printhead during printing when the second printhead runs into previously laid layers of a print.

• Like 11

58 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Using isn't the frustrating part, the frustrating part is when something breaks down, I'm no tech person so it usually results in having to call someone and pay for repairs.

• Like 12

56 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I don't have one currently, but a 3D printer. They seem kinda fun/useful, but they also sound like a LOT of work and seem really fiddly to get good prints out of. Besides, do I REALLY  need something to help me produce even MORE figures to add to the backlog?

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Most everything that is more complicated than merely off & on.

• Like 11

My 3D printer probably tops the list. When it works it's a beautiful thing. Trouble is I often have strange issues that come and go without ever finding a solution. The 2nd would be out main TV. 5 year old daughter likes to watch cartoons on youtube. Because the tv is 6-7 years old the youtube app is out of date. This means it continually stalls or wipes out her choices and there's no fix other than a newer TV.

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Zink said:

My 3D printer probably tops the list. When it works it's a beautiful thing. Trouble is I often have strange issues that come and go without ever finding a solution. The 2nd would be out main TV. 5 year old daughter likes to watch cartoons on youtube. Because the tv is 6-7 years old the youtube app is out of date. This means it continually stalls or wipes out her choices and there's no fix other than a newer TV.

Yeah, they like to try to get you to buy a new tv.  If you have an extra hdmi port, you could get a firestick, or equivalent, and run youtube through that.

Although then you will get the frustration of it wanting to update your firestick remote as soon as you want to watch something.....

• Like 9

To be honest, I'm baffled by most modern tech these days.

• Like 12

Modern cars.  It seems like some computer controlled thing is always failing, or even just a sensor.  But because of the complexity and computer control, you can't really work on them yourself anymore. 

• Like 11

I keep losing my USB drives.  Otherwise I am good.

• Like 11

I'm generally not too annoyed or frustrated with most technology. Not counting nearly everything we have to use at work. But that's the result of a terrible IT department and not the technology itself. 

But there is one thing I really can not stand that I'm forced to use on a regular basis, and that's app based parking. Our city removed all the parking meters from downtown and now to park you have to either have the app on your phone or find a kiosk to pay. The kiosks are few and far between and the app crashes at least once a month. When it crashes you have to either go find a parking garage to overpay at or constantly check the app to see if it's come online again and then pay your parking fee. And if you're not quick enough when it comes back up then you risk getting a ticket. And if you don't have a smart phone, or are at the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder and don't have an active bank account, then you better hope you don't have business downtown. Even worse, the street signs that tell you what zone you're parking in so you can pay the app or kiosk don't always match what the app says. So you have to double check every time you park somewhere new to make certain you don't get ticketed for paying to park in the wrong zone. Also, the kiosks are routinely vandalized and have a habit of not working when it's freezing cold out. I'm not sure what brilliant mind thought this was a good idea, but I'm guessing there is a special place in hell for them.

• Like 10
  • Sad 4