GTKY: Daily Question Thread - May 2023 Edition

3 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question, Wednesday May 10th.

what piece of modern technology do you use, or would like to use, that you find frustrating in one manner or another?

Our tv/cable/dvr setup.  It's not a standard plug-and-play device from our service company, it's one DH designed to go on our network. There are 3 remotes and my eyesight is bad enough I can't read any of the text on them, and half the symbols are meaningless to me.  The remotes have to be used in a certain sequence to turn everything on and then navigate the menus.  That's assuming all the batteries are working and the various devices are cooperating.  Consequently, I don't watch much tv or streaming or whatever it's called these days. 

• Like 9

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[snip]

…what piece of modern technology do you use, or would like to use, that you find frustrating in one manner or another?

All of them . . .

I recently spent twenty minutes I will never get back trying to figure out how to set the time on the stupid microwave. 

And it is an old one. 

Also, it does 99 second long minutes, except when it does 60 second minutes. 

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

As I sit here trying to get my 3D printer to print, you know, like it was 10 minutes ago, and ponder the actual meaning of "self leveling" since it doesn't seem to mean what you'd thing, what piece of modern technology do you use, or would like to use, that you find frustrating in one manner or another?

I never could grasp why so many vehicle companies seem to want to get you to not only install an app on your phone (or three apps) to enable certain functionality of the vehicle, but even more so is their sheer hell bent fo us on making everything touch.  Buttons work in twenty below weather, touch screens do not.  We deal with twenty below for upwards of six months a year here... 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

As I sit here trying to get my 3D printer to print, you know, like it was 10 minutes ago, and ponder the actual meaning of "self leveling" since it doesn't seem to mean what you'd thing, what piece of modern technology do you use, or would like to use, that you find frustrating in one manner or another?

FDM printers are often my main nemesis.  I think it is just that combination of computers and physical components, and a price point that doesn't allow for sensors that would tell the hardware exactly where everything is all the time.

I'm curious if the LIDAR on the K1 will be better at actual bed leveling.

Forced app usage is another one I find frustrating.  The park app is one.  They seem to be updating it almost constantly, but it's still crap. A few weeks ago it would only put in 15 min, no matter what you picked on the pop up, the first time you selected.  I wonder how many people got tickets because of that.....

And I just had to install an app on my phone to assign my flex seat I'm booking for tomorrow, my first trip into the office.  Not really looking forward to that.....

50 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I never could grasp why so many vehicle companies seem to want to get you to not only install an app on your phone (or three apps) to enable certain functionality of the vehicle, but even more so is their sheer hell bent fo us on making everything touch.  Buttons work in twenty below weather, touch screens do not.  We deal with twenty below for upwards of six months a year here... 

Someone told me the first gen of touch screens on one of the Fords had the cabin temperature controls as a touch screen, so below a certain temperature you couldn't turn up the temperature since the touch screen wouldn't work.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Not so much a piece of technology, but in that general spirit... I loathe having an app for everything.  No, I do not want to download your app to shop at your store.  Yes, I hate that your store offers exclusive deals to app users.  Yes, it makes me not want to shop there anymore.  If there were any stores left that don't even have apps, I would take all my business there.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

do I REALLY  need something to help me produce even MORE figures to add to the backlog?

You are asking the wrong crowd for input on that. 🤔

5 hours ago, Thoramel said:

I'm not sure what brilliant mind thought this was a good idea, but I'm guessing there is a special place in hell for them.

I'm quite certain of this. And thanks for the heads up, I didn't realize downtown parking had made such changes. I'll be sure to warn the family.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I guess the overwhelming arrogance of tech companies demanding that you have to have their app on your phone.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I can't use anything modern without reading the instruction booklet these days. Everything has become a "smart" <insert appliance>. I had to read the booklet to figure out which setting to use for the washer because they are different than the one I had to replace. I haven't touched the new dishwasher because my dad installed it while I was at work and spirited the booklet away (it'll never be seen again). The most infuriating part of new appliances is when something bad happens, and the booklet has vague suggestions on how to fix it. And when X doesn't work, it tells you to call the helpline, but then you now have to deal with an automated help system that won't let you talk to an actual human until you've been shouting "REPRESENTATIVE" into the phone for 5 minutes.

As a side note, I finally used the new oven this past weekend (installed right before Christmas, then had a fault that locked the oven door while the turkey was in it and wouldn't open, and that a service tech had to come out, open, and install a brand new oven 4 months ago).

• Like 11

9 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

All of them

I think most people have covered my issues, but the biggest on is 'Use the App' - I'm on your <redacted> website, so why the hell do you have that function only available though the <redacted> app

• Like 11

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

And when X doesn't work, it tells you to call the helpline, but then you now have to deal with an automated help system that won't let you talk to an actual human until you've been shouting "REPRESENTATIVE" into the phone for 5 minutes.

Try the word "banana".  Seriously.  It confuses the voice recognition so badly it defaults to a person.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

what piece of modern technology do you use, or would like to use, that you find frustrating in one manner or another?

I'm not much of a fan of ratchet straps. The stupid mechanism always sticks, or the strap twists up in it and won't release. The ends never want to fit though the slot, and they take for ever to roll up, then you drop it and have to start all over again...

• Like 11

13 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

If we're going to stick with 3D printing for the moment, it would be two things:

1. Changing the FEP

2. All the cleanup and maintenance once you're done printing

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Smart phones and apps. 

The normal business of the day should not require either. 

• Like 12

13 hours ago, Thoramel said:

I'm not sure what brilliant mind thought this was a good idea, but I'm guessing there is a special place in hell for them.

Pretty sure they were trying to solve the problem of Old School Parking Meters getting smashed and vandalized. 

I guess they believed the Kiosks would be easier to guard or tougher bust into ?

The core problem is criminal activity, on the street, literally at street level, but no one there to stop it.  Then a determined effort to solve the problem with unmanned or automated devices. 

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

Try the word "banana".  Seriously.  It confuses the voice recognition so badly it defaults to a person.  

I will try this next time I am verbally assailed by a robot “…that can understand complete sentences…”

• Like 7

I hate my dad's netbook.  It's not a computer.  I kinda understand computers and windows. Or at least know how to start trying to fix things.  His thing runs chrome or something that isn't windows, I don't know where the programs are on it if it even has any, and certainly can't add anything like office because not!windows and no disc drive.  

He's finally learning I can't help him when he has a problem.  He forgot his password a month or so ago.  He woke me up asking for help.  I can't fix that.  He doesn't even tell me the names of any of his friends, how would I know his password?  I could recover mine from my computer, but it's a proper laptop.  I can't figure out what runs his thing, so I can't go to a website and reset anything.  Took him about 4 trips to the geek squad to get it reset, a password he could successfully type in, and whatever runs the internet and solitaire functioning. 

At least he knows how to turn the power to the house modem off and on to reset it when the internet dies randomly(anywhere from a weekly to daily occurrence). That only took several years. 

• Like 11