GTKY: Daily Question Thread - May 2023 Edition

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Pretty sure they were trying to solve the problem of Old School Parking Meters getting smashed and vandalized. 

I guess they believed the Kiosks would be easier to guard or tougher bust into ?

The core problem is criminal activity, on the street, literally at street level, but no one there to stop it.  Then a determined effort to solve the problem with unmanned or automated devices.

I've never seen a vandalized meter in the fifteen years I've lived and worked down here. But folks seem to hate those kiosks something fierce. Pretty certain the reason they adopted this is that by outsourcing parking they reduce their bottom line costs by no longer having to maintain equipment or pay parking enforcement staff. It's typically much cheaper for a private company to maintain the equipment and pay minimum wages to enforcement personnel. The city still collects money from parking but without ever risking going into the red on the above costs. The third party parking service tacks a fee onto every parking transaction and employs far more people to write tickets ensuring that people don't skip out on paying, thereby making their money back and a tidy profit. The city is happy, the company is happy, but the people who have to pay more for parking (or are shut out of parking in some cases) get the shaft. I'd go into more detail but that's straying into a political discussion.

• Like 9

Question, Thursday May 11th.

Today is my first day back in the office since I had my back surgery.  I'm currently seriously missing my awesome desk chair at home and remembering how the office chairs do not work for my back. And trying to decide if I should message HR about the ergonomic assessment now, or after work today.....
Anyway, on to the question.  Do you have one particular favorite chair you use? (for painting, for work, for watching tv, whatever)

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Today is my first day back in the office since I had my back surgery.  I'm currently seriously missing my awesome desk chair at home and remembering how the office chairs do not work for my back. And trying to decide if I should message HR about the ergonomic assessment now, or after work today....

Firstly, congratulations on back recovery! And always tell HR about issues ASAP.

8 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Anyway, on to the question.  Do you have one particular favorite chair you use? (for painting, for work, for watching tv, whatever)

Chairs/sitting and I have not gotten along for the past 8 years due to developing nerve  issues/pain/numbness. I don't have a favorite currently, but I do need to invest in a nice hobby chair at some point. I've joined the "Has Back Issues" club now, and while the MRI didn't reveal anything major that is causing the numbness further down, it did show a mildly bulging disc that is a potential problem further on in life. So now I'm doing PT and having to really focus on maintaining that lumbar arch.

So any recommendations for a hobby chair are appreciated.

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Today is my first day back in the office since I had my back surgery.  I'm currently seriously missing my awesome desk chair at home and remembering how the office chairs do not work for my back. And trying to decide if I should message HR about the ergonomic assessment now, or after work today.....

I agree with @ManvsMini, tell HR about it now.

To answer the main question: no, I do not. I do have back issues from being hit by a car many years ago, so I have managed to find and claim what I think is the most comfortable chair at work for my use. I use an office style chair to sit at my workbench at home, but I generally sit on the couch to watch TV/read.

• Like 10

27 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I have a leather recliner in the corner of our living room that is very comfortable. It's where I spend most of my time when in the house, usually looking at my laptop.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I would guess the answer is yes.  I have trouble with most chairs as they tend to be designed for average sized and smaller people.  Being over 6'and board across the shoulders and chest, and being over weight, most chairs, and couches seem too low and not wide enough to sit in comfortably.  My wife bought me a desk chair designed for people over 6'.  It is currently what I am using for painting and watching tv.  It also currently affords me the ability to use the heating pad as I suffer through physical Therapy for my back.  Although I do miss sitting on the couch with my wife.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I don't know how HR works where you are, but at my job every hour of delay in telling them about an issue somehow translates into days of not addressing the problem. 

I have an office chair at my hobby desk designed for taller/bigger folks that I really like. It's overstuffed with padding as well so I can relax a bit while hobbying. But my home office chair is just a standard office chair. I should probably get something better, but I don't usually have to spend all day seated so it's not that big of an issue. My chair in the actual office is actually quite nice. A few years back my employer required we buy all new office furniture from local manufacturing when possible, and the one they got me was built by inmates at a local prison. It may be the nicest office chair I've ever had. It's not too short, fits great, and is extremely durable. Unfortunately, it also cost something like $500. So the State doesn't buy them for their employees anymore. So far it seems to be holding up well. Fingers crossed that continues to be the case because I don't want to get one of the budget chairs everyone else has.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Not to worry, two different HR folks have been informed. Not that they have gotten back to me, but that's par for the course.

My home office/painting chair is awesome.  Like others I'm a bigger guy at 6'2" and normal chairs (like my office chair at work) tend to be too light weight and put all that fancy support in all the wrong places.  My home chair is designed for bigger folks and is just the right size and support.  I can sit for hours comfortable.

I had a previous leather one that my wife got me that was quite good too, but the base plate that the hydraulic cylinder goes into got wobbly, and that was during the first few months of Covid, so getting a new chair was easier than getting the replacement plate shipped. They eventually did ship the replacement plate (Lazyboy 10 year warranty!) and that chair is now fixed and down in the storage room looking for a home.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Not really.  I have an office-style chair for the computer, and another for painting.  Watch tv from the couch. Nothing special about any of them. 

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

I don't know how HR works where you are, but at my job every hour of delay in telling them about an issue somehow translates into days of not addressing the problem. 

Not only that but there may be a time period within which you have to make such reports, especially if you are going to need paid time off for medical reasons. 

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Not only that but there may be a time period within which you have to make such reports, especially if you are going to need paid time off for medical reasons. 

My HR folks should be expecting it.  They asked if I wanted an ergonomic assessment when I came back and I told them I'd give it a day and let them know.  Only took 3 hours.
I've been thinking about what about the chair is causing issues.  One thing is that the seat curls up at the front on the sides, presumably to help hold you in place.  For me it just digs into my hamstrings and causes leg numbness if I sit for too long.....

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I have a couple of desk chairs for my painting table & the PC. They are okay...I don't have issues with chairs.

Back in Texas I had an old arm chair that a friend gave me. It had been his old dog's chair basically & was ugly as sin with an aura of old dog to it. I watched TV & napped in that for years. It was SO COMFORTABLE. Unfortunately I had to leave it when I moved up North.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I have bought a comfy office chair for my Hobby/work room.

For watching tv it;s the couch.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

At present, I spin my gaming chair around for the painting desk, and use an old Ikea chair for my gunpla workbench... And there's no seat at my art table because I haven't picked one up yet.  I'm probably going to get a stool for the art table, just because it's the easiest way to keep it out of the walking path since it's in the bedroom. 

I do like my Secret Lab Titan, even though the arms are falling apart, as it seems fairly comfy but at the same time I think next time I'm just going to pay for a Steel Case Leap with headrest.  Expensive chair, but super comfy and ergonomic.   I should probably replace the chair at the gunpla workbench too, given how old it is... 

• Like 8