GTKY: Daily Question Thread - May 2023 Edition

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question, Friday May 12th.

Toast, where are you on the scale from "slightly warm bread" to "charcoal"? Or do you even toast?

And if you toast, is your toast wifi enabled and does it have an app?
If it isn't, does your adjustment knob, slider, etc actually seem to do anything?

I like my toast. English muffins, & corncakes golden brown, hot enough to melt the butter, & with the bread slightly crispy.

I use a plain old toaster oven. Back in Texas, Cap'n John had a fairly expensive pop up toaster that would periodically cremate the toast in a dramatic fashion.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 6
  • Haha 5

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Toast, where are you on the scale from "slightly warm bread" to "charcoal"? Or do you even toast?

If it isn't, does your adjustment knob, slider, etc actually seem to do anything?

I like a little brown when toasting, but anything dark is thrown away.

& you know my views on wifi toasters.....

1543_1439841665.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

Golden brown, as intended. Though I don't make toast anymore, gave my toaster oven to my mother and never got around to getting a new one.

My oddity is that I don't usually butter my bread (or toast), it tastes gross to me. I was amazing tablemates with @Kuro Cleanbrush, who likes to mainline plates of butter 😄 

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

One of the greatest things was when fire was invented, and by golly, I'm going to use it to the fullest.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I do toast bread. 
Typically I get all of the options on one slice of bread because that is what the toaster decides to do. 

And if you toast, is your toast[er] wifi enabled and does it have an app?

My toaster has no wifi; my toaster has no app…

If it isn't, does your adjustment knob, slider, etc. actually seem to do anything?

Maybe. 
But I have no idea what. 

My toaster is literally a black box. 

• Like 10

Slightly warmed bread, though I generally don't toast.

Unless my WiFi-connected toaster is also capable of taking bread out of the bag and inserting it into the toasting slots, what's the point? That whole process requires me to be next to the toaster, so I think I can managed the effort to push one more button and a slider.

WiFi connectivity is also the reason toasters will rise up and enslave us, mark my words.

It does. The slightest nudge on the knob ruins it, and I might as well be making grilled cheese at that point.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I want it toasted, dammit!  Not warm and floppy, not burnt.  Dark brown and crispy, hot enough to melt butter (the real thing). 

Never heard of wifi enable toast or toast apps, but I may be getting old and behind the fads. 

Theoretically we have settings for brown-ness and for bagels, but I think that chip died shortly after the 30 day warranty.  So it needs watching carefully. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I was dismayed to learn that toasters with WiFi are a thing I could buy IF I felt like blowing $300 bucks on a toaster, AND I had $300 bucks for a toaster, AND I felt like financially supporting the IDJITS! that created such a thing. 

But none of those last 3 things are true. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

My toast is usually French.  If it gets to "charcoal" something has gone dreadfully wrong.

Mrs. Strawhat does, from time to time, make toasted garlic bread under the broiler.  I think we still have an aged toaster in the cupboard, no wifi.  I've no idea if the knob does anything.  The last time I touched one (decades ago), it took the toast from brownish and edible to some brown spots and tooth-chipping.  I hadn't even gotten to the halfway point on the scale.

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

No toast here

and what in hades would you need a wi-fi enabled toaster for?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, ratsmitglied said:

and what in hades would you need a wi-fi enabled toaster for?

My working hypothesis is that the descendants of PT Barnum need them in order to fleece Gen-Zers of their money… <_<

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

They still make my Toaster!

1090086_Black?wid=400&hei=400&op_sharpen

There it is ^ see? it is a black box, w/ three mysterious buttons, one twisty knob, one sliding thing. Two places for bread. 

$25-$30

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Middle of the road.  the adjustment knob (pastries vs toast) and slider (dark vs light) both make a difference.

Why would bread need Wi-Fi to become toast?

• Like 9

23 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I want it crispy and warm enough to melt butter, but it should not be blackened, just slightly brown.  Our toaster is very versatile, but not wifi enabled.  Since I have four kids, that toaster has to handle toast, waffles, bagels, English muffins, etc., and it has settings for all of them that seem to make just very slight differences.

I think the argument for the wifi is so you can tell your toaster to start making toast while you are still laying in bed.  Personally, I'd rather have a breakfast machine like in Back to the Future or, even better, Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

20 hours ago, haldir said:

& you know my views on wifi toasters.....

1543_1439841665.jpg

I too have concerns about this scenario.  I know they are irrational, but I remain concerned.

• Like 9