GTKY: Daily Question Thread - May 2023 Edition

6 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

but I can't remember the names of my interns who started last week. 

I always found that writing down names repetitively helps with remembering them? YMMV

• Like 6

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question, Monday May 15th.

How is you memory, in terms of asking people the same questions over and over during an extended period of time?

Memory is fine except for names.  Can forget a name in 10 seconds.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

How is you memory, in terms of asking people the same questions over and over during an extended period of time?

Asking question repeatedly isn't a problem. Like others have said names are a hang up. I do remember them, but not always when I should. They tend to come to me in the middle of the night. Suddenly I will wake up with the name I was trying to remember. I was going to give an example, but now I can't remember what it was. It will come to me at 3am or so.  

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I am also terrible with names.  Some find it odd I can remember certain names in the warehouse, but they're people I see every morning, and our team also coordinates with despite being in completely separate divisions.  And then there's our other delivery team, where I only know a few names... 

Me and remmeberering names is something that's rather difficult, always has been.  I can usually remember faces, but names seem to take a while, which is always fun when a paramedic tells you their name and you've already forgotten it by the time they're finished the sentence... >.>

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

If I haven't worked with you for at least 2 weeks and interacted with you regularly, I'm probably going to ask you the same thing again. Work has a high turnover rate for employees, and I no longer work side-by-side on the line. Otherwise, I'm pretty good once that initial few weeks is done, and I tend to ask the same question again but as a follow-up, as in "hey, did you ever get that ____ you were looking to buy?"

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Are you asking us if you repeated any questions?  Because I honestly don't remember...

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Great, unless the question is what's your name.

For some reason, names take a while to stick.

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Memory is generally good ATM, but related to fatigue level, which is related to things the doctors don't understand, so it can be extremely variable. 

I've rarely had to ask the same question over and over, and when I did ("How may I direct your call?") I had no problem remembering it.   

• Like 9

16 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

For me, it's not memory as much as I didn't hear you in the first place. Hearing loss forces me to fill in the blanks, but sometimes I make the wrong assumption. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

15 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I would say it's generally good when it comes to things like that--not what is once was, but still pretty decent.  Sometimes things just won't "stick," and I'll have to hear things two or three times to get a good grip on what's being said.  Usually there's something stressful going on, or I'm just worn out, when this is happening.

If I know that I've asked before, or even if I suspect I have, I usually apologize for the repetition.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question, Tuesday May 16th.

Yesterday I stopped by my FLGS and left without buying anything, which felt weird. When you go to a hobby/gaming/whatever store, do you usually make a point of picking up at least something?

It all depends; sometimes, I'm there for a specific item. If they don't have it, I may look around and see what strikes my fancy, or I may just leave.

I'm more likely to buy something random if I didn't have a specific item in mind. I used to be really good about always buying something, but prices have gone on so much, its gotten much harder to do so.

• Like 8