GTKY: Daily Question Thread - May 2023 Edition

3 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question.  Wednesday May 17th.

Today is (among many others)  National Work From Home Day.

Is working from home an option for you?  And if so did you work from home today?

As a follow up, today is also National Pinot Grigio Day.  Coincidence? Or was it all part of the plan?

I work from home about 2 or 3 days a week and then 2 or 3 days at the base.

I did work from home today.

Tomorrow is a Holiday.

I do not have Pinot stashed away though...

• Like 11

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Is working from home an option for you?  And if so did you work from home today?

Sadly, no not currently. Kind of hard to build transmissions from home on a mass-scale. I'd love to find something I can do from home, given my fondness for comfy pants... and despite having one of the messiest jobs on the line, I really don't like getting covered in transmission fluid.

As a follow up, today is also National Pinot Grigio Day.  Coincidence? Or was it all part of the plan?

I believe people have been celebrating both of those days multiples days in a single week over the past few years. So no, not coincidence, just an excuse to avoid stigma?

• Like 9

I'm still a mix of office and home for my work. Today was supposed to a an at the office day but I had a company coming to fix the leak in my foundation, so it became a work from home day.

Just as well as I'm still trying to get an answer from HR on if I'm supposed to go in for office days before my ergonomic assessment is done at the end of the month.

The follow up, I expect there is probably a national <wine> day most days, so not specifically a plan for today, but more a plan for every day,,,,

• Like 8

I'm a delivery driver, working from home is probably a bad idea with current technology...  However, I am at home, currently on short term medical leave while I wander through way too much beaurocracy, and wait to have money I can effectively throw out the window to get their paperwork filled out.  Hoping to be able to go back to work soon, I miss the exercise it gives me. 

Currently on medical leave, waiting for coverage approval so won't be picking up any alcohol. 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

No it is not.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I can't so my job at home. Tbh, I'm glad as home is home, work is work.

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

It's an option, but also an option that I prefer not to employ.  I simply face too many distractions when working in the dining room: television, Mrs. Strawhat (when she works from home--she loves it), food, cat, streaming, unrestricted internet, etc.  It's also so-o-o-o-o-o-o much slower trying to work on a tiny little screen when you're used to having two full widescreen monitors.

I'll assume it was part of the plan.  Not a big deal for me, but if we ever get a national mint/cinnamon schnapps day I may be in trouble.

• Like 8

I can't hold a job for health reasons, so most every day is housework day.  Currently gathering stuff as a friend invited me to share space at his garage sale this weekend.  Getting to stuff involves cobwebs, bugs, and dust.  Some of those scare me, and the rest I'm allergic to.  And the schlepping of boxes is really good for my arthritic back.

Wine is rotten, mildew-y fruit juice.  Homes sometimes have rot or mildew. Only connection.

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Is working from home an option for you? 

Never been lucky enough for that. 

14 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I won’t know what a…

Pie-Knot Grigg-EEE-ohh

…even is, without googling it. No doubt I am mispronouncing it wrong. Long ago, I had an Art Professor named Grigg (rhymed with Dig or Big).  

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, TGP said:

Never been lucky enough for that. 

I won’t know what a…

Pie-Knot Grigg-EEE-ohh

…even is, without googling it. No doubt I am mispronouncing it wrong. Long ago, I had an Art Professor named Grigg (rhymed with Dig or Big).  

pee·now gree·zhee·ow

It's Italian white wine.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I'm a delivery driver, working from home is probably a bad idea with current technology...

It would be kinda kool if your delivery van was self-driving. But you’d monitor its progress from your home computer system. You could hit the brakes if it went offline. There would be a robot/micro-forklift that would unload the van at each stop. You’d supervise that gadget too. You’d be the telepresence in charge and you could speak to the customers as it hauled their stuff inside. 

All very Jetsons. ::):

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, TGP said:

It would be kinda kool if your delivery van was self-driving. But you’d monitor its progress from your home computer system. You could hit the brakes if it went offline. There would be a robot/micro-forklift that would unload the van at each stop. You’d supervise that gadget too. You’d be the telepresence in charge and you could speak to the customers as it hauled their stuff inside. 

All very Jetsons. ::):

I think the way it's going to go for last mile service, especially my style (under 5 ton vehicle) is going to be the vehicle is automated, and the driver delivers.  Depending on the automation, it may also be a case where there are indicator lights on the shelves as to where your package(s) will be.  Only time will tell, but I suspect this method will be more popular for the initial 2-3 tiers of vehicle automation rollout, because it allows for a driver to take over if needed (collision, road construction that isn't in the system, or what will probably be a BIG RED BUTTON in my line of work labelled "TRAIN"), but also reduces driver load.  Theoretically, in high density areas this would allow for two person teams to be in a vehicle, and to be able to rapid fire deliveries. 

I know the tech is there, and it's coming, and it's even getting better, but a part of me is hoping to be able to see the 3rd generation systems roll out right as I'm retiring...  Where it very well might be like the Jetson's.  I hope for such a scenario to be at retirement, because I rather enjoy all the aspects that are involved, but I also have seen in other industries (like aviation, and the third seat in the cockpit) where yes automation does make things more reliable, but it also makes it incredibly boring because of how reliable everything is. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I'm a driver, so that's not an option. Nor would I want to, my home is my sanctum and I don't need work invading that.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1