GTKY: Daily Question Thread - May 2023 Edition

4 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question May the 4th.
So, if you are a fan of Star Wars, what what is one thing you like the most about it?

it's escapism. 

A large part of it is me recalling the feeling 12 year old me got seeing those Star Destroyers and Light Sabers and TIE Fighters for the first time, other than that, I just love the visuals and most of the characters. 

34 minutes ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I remember being told of a story about an electrician who thought it was funny to pretend to be electricuted to his new apprentices. One time he did it, and the apprentice flipped out, grabbed a 2x4 and totally dropped the guy. He never did that joke again. 

I've heard that story as well.  

Our safety observers often carried a wooden broom handle to do precisely that, but in my case, my observer just pushed my plastic tool cart into me. 

6 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Yeah I don't understand the hate thing amongst the "fans".  There are parts I like better and parts I thought weren't awesome, but I don't hate any of it. What is the point?  Sure I'm not a fan of Jar Jar (the Darth Jar Jar theory on the other hand....) but he didn't "ruin" Star Wars for me. Nothing can ruin Star Wars for me unless I let it, and that isn't going to happen.

I think a lot of the hate at material beyond the original trilogy is fans building up unrealistic expectations in their minds and then being let down when reality doesn't meet their expectations.  My view is that any Star Wars movie, TV show, Comic Book, Novel, etc is really about an hour or few of entertainment*. If you really dive into it more than that, there are plenty of flaws to find, even in Ep 5, which most fans consider the best of the SW films. 

*that applies to non-star wars stuff as well. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, I totally forgot one of the biggest things for me about Star Wars....  The sounds.  Sound department has done an absolutely phenomenal job.  Yes, the musical score is indeed amazing, and it really brings everything together, but the sound design team doesn't seem to get anywhere near the same recognition. 

The first time you hear those Tie Fighters come in.... You know they aren't messing around, and you also definitely know they aren't there for a relaxing cup of tea, ale, or what have you.  It's an absolutely menacing sound to indicate we're here, we're the brutal muscle, and we have you in our sights. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question May the 4th.
image.thumb.png.1b2c8df516c3da595cd170622a938903.png

Shockingly, a Star Wars related question from me..... So, if you are a fan of Star Wars, what what is one thing you like the most about it?
If you are not a Star Wars fan, what is one thing about it don't you like?  And if you've never even watched anything Star Wars related, is there are particular reason why you haven't?

I was 9 when the original came out, and it was just about the most awesome thing imaginable.  The sequel seemed to grow up with me: I wanted to be a gritty adult, and it was a more gritty adult feeling story.  

But then, Ewoks.  Ugh.  And when the reboots came out, the writing just seemed comically terrible.  The dialogue was wooden, and the entire thing just seemed like a cash grab.  Minty loreans?!?!  What the hell?  

So, at this point: lightsabers and robot chicken are my favorites.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

So, if you are a fan of Star Wars, what what is one thing you like the most about it?

YODA!! Y-O-D-A, YODA!!

And the entire Expanded Universe with novels, games, etc. Gave me lots of childhood reading time.

5 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

If you are not a Star Wars fan, what is one thing about it don't you like?

It's not that I don't like Star Wars anymore, it's that I don't like the direction it's been taken since Disney got ownership. The last trilogy was unoriginal, Better plot elements were in the Expanded Universe that they could have adapted.

I didn't mind Rogue One, I thought it was pretty good (though we true fans know that isn't the actual way the Death Star plans were stolen). I also do not have Disney+ so I can't fairly judge how the streaming series they've released actually are. I hear good things, but those things also came from people who thought Kylo Ren was a good villain...

• Like 10

On 5/2/2023 at 8:51 AM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question May 2nd.

Today's question is brought to you by a random conversation I just had.  How close have you come to accidentally eating one of those little desiccant packs that are in everything now?

Never.

On 5/3/2023 at 8:03 AM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question May 3rd.

As I'm about to head off for nerve conductivity testing on my leg and foot, have you ever, intentionally or unintentionally, been shocked with electricity?  By yourself or by a trained professional?

Several times, both static and AC up to 440 Volts.  Never by a Professional, just me, a gifted amateur.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question May the 4th.

Shockingly, a Star Wars related question from me..... So, if you are a fan of Star Wars, what what is one thing you like the most about it?
If you are not a Star Wars fan, what is one thing about it don't you like?  And if you've never even watched anything Star Wars related, is there are particular reason why you haven't?

Saw SW:ANH in a small theater in Parma, ID when it first came out. I saw it close to 12 times. I was 4 or 5 when it came out & all I know I loved watching it & I had to see it all the time! I had the toys & I'm pretty sure I had some that are harder then hell to find now & are worth the big bucks, but I didn't care I lived &  breathed SW at the time. I don't know if I can really pin down why I loved it, like @TGP I think it was mostly the whole setting, the vastness of that universe & the possiblities of adventure.

Now that feeling sorta died when Episode 1 came out & now I was excited to see SW again on a big screen, just the way Lucas presented that movie made me start to question SW. It was worst when Episode II came out ie Attack of the "Clowns" as I started to call it. Lucas should never, ever direct love scenes. I think that film may have been the first I wanted to walk out of in the middle of a movie. Oh, that was bad & bad enough I didn't want to see Ep 3 when it came out in the  theater  & I didn't! I even had tickets for a midnight showing at ReaperCon that year!

The last trilogy was ok, thou I thought Disney tried to hard to shove some things that are trendy at the viewers, I don't care for that, but eh it is what it is. I loved Rogue One. I didn't see Han Solo (oddly it's the only movie I've yet to see from the franchise). I like the Mandalorian, but I dropped Disney+ last year & I don't bing watch, so I've only seen the first season & I think either the 1 or 2 episodes of Season 2. I haven't watch Boba Fett, he died in the Sarlacc Pit, case closed.

The personal fandom for SW has taken some big hits & I'm still a fan, but for the most I don't treat like "it's everything"  to me as I did.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question May the 4th.

I have loved the films since seeing the first one at the drive-in theater the summer of '77.  They captured my imagination and and held it.  While I have some issues with the movies 4-6 I still love he movies and the imagination.  I think the last trilogy lack some imagination...another Death Star basically. 

Love Light Sabers, X-wings, B-wings, the Millennium Falcon,  Chewbacca, R2-D2, Han, Luke, Leia, Boba Fett, Darth Vader...and on and on and on in a galaxy far, far, away.

Edited by chaosscorpion
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I hear good things, but those things also came from people who thought Kylo Ren was a good villain...

Wait, there are people who thought Kylo Ren was a good villain?  I mean, people over the age of fourteen?

The SNL Undercover Boss parodies of Kylo Ren were very good, though.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question May the 4th.

Space wizards!

More seriously, the franchise just has the right ingredients to be entertaining to me.

It also helps that I'm easily entertained, so I have nowhere near the same amount of issues with it that the fandom does.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Yeah I don't understand the hate thing amongst the "fans".  There are parts I like better and parts I thought weren't awesome, but I don't hate any of it. What is the point?  Sure I'm not a fan of Jar Jar (the Darth Jar Jar theory on the other hand....) but he didn't "ruin" Star Wars for me. Nothing can ruin Star Wars for me unless I let it, and that isn't going to happen.

I agree, 100%!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question May the 4th.

Two words, "laser swords."

Also, "space wizards."

And "space ships."

And...

• Like 8

I was much more a trekkie growing up, (DS9 hit at just the right age with strong female characters). The original star wars trilogy was okay, but nothing special. I actually liked the Ewoks, but I collected teddy bears as a kid before branching into other stuffed animals.  

The retouched trilogy made me motion sick at the theater with all the extra flying scenes.  The prequels were not very good, as were 7 and 8. Maybe one of these days I'll check episode 9 out of the library and finish the whole shebang.  Unless Disney+ releases dvds *and* the library has them, I will likely never watch any of the spin-off series. 

My favorite star wars thing is Shakespeare's star wars, a series of books where someone brilliant rewrote all the movies as Shakespearian plays.  To differentiate Yoda, they have him speak in haiku.  And R2-D2 gets asides in English, while beedle booping in iambic pentameter the rest of the time.  I've read part the first through part the sixth.  Planning to read parts the 7th, the 8th, and the 9th are my main motivation for finishing movie 9.  One of these days.  I still need to finish 12 episodes of the original Cowboy Bebop anime and then the movie, and they're a lot more interesting so far. 

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question May the 4th.

In Star Wars, there is always the underlying themes of hope and redemption. Unfortunately, the movies that have failed are made by people who understand nothing about that and are there just to "make a movie".

• Like 8

22 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question May the 4th.

No

• Like 7