GTKY: Daily Question Thread -- June 2023

Inarah

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

June 10

Are you going to Reapercon?  Have you bought tickets, made travel plans, etc? 

June 11

If you're going, what classes or games to you intend to sign up for (or help run)? 

If you're not, what classes or events to you like to participate in when you go to a game or hobby convention? 

Nope, it's still too far away.

• Like 9

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

June 10

I am!

Event badge is bought. Plane tickets and hotel room are booked.

Only the event tickets remain.

P.S. I wonder how the air travel gods will punish me this year.

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

June 11

If you're going, what classes or games to you intend to sign up for (or help run)? 

If you're not, what classes or events to you like to participate in when you go to a game or hobby convention? 

I honestly haven't looked into what classes or games will be happening this year.

I do intend in taking less classes this time around and want to try more games instead.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

June 10

June 11

Yup! We  are going and will be playing games and running some too.

• Like 10

On 6/8/2023 at 10:34 AM, Inarah said:

June 8

Have you ever been so frustrated with or disgusted by working conditions or fellow employees that you just walked off a job?

No, not yet. I haven't established a side gig that is lucrative enough to allow for me to cut off my primary source of income/health insurance. Though I am pretty disgusted by some of the people who work on the assembly line. Particularly the ones who violate every bit of the code of conduct and aren't held accountable by team leaders. Granted, management doesn't hold some team leaders accountable for their actions, so there's a recurring theme.

I also get disgusted by the ones who use the bathroom and don't wash their hands. Or the ones who only use hand sanitizer after coming out of the toilet stall. There's a reason why I touch the soda machine buttons with a paper towel instead of just my bare hands.

On 6/8/2023 at 1:20 PM, Chaoswolf said:

I have walked away to de escalate more times than I can count.

Likely this too. Last night was one such instance, when right before the end of the shift someone tried to slip a safety violation past our quality team and got caught. I ended up staying 2 hours late on Friday night/Saturday morning to fix it, though it never should have made it to me. I held my tongue, but my eyes were staring daggers.

On 6/9/2023 at 12:38 PM, Inarah said:

June 9

What is the best game you've never played?  (In order words, what looks fun or interesting, yet you haven't played)

Um, all of my miniature wargaming games? I've purchased minis for so many game systems and never even played the games. Malifaux, Alkemy, Carnivale, the list just goes on and on.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

June 10

June 11

I will not be in attendance.  I hope to be able to go one year.

I 've only been to one over the last 30 years.  I wasn't there long enough to do anything other than play in a tournament as a favor to a guy I knew at the time.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

June 10

June 11

No, and there's no real game or hobby conventions here.

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

June 10

No. I doubt I'd ever convince my wife to go and I don't travel that far without her.

34 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

No, and there's no real game or hobby conventions here.

I was at a board games convention in Moose Jaw in February. It was ok. Years ago I went to a small convention in Regina but don't know if anybody organises anything like that now.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Inarah said:

June 10

Are you going to Reapercon? 

I dunno. I want to. 

10 hours ago, Inarah said:

Have you bought tickets, made travel plans, etc? 

I have done none of these things. 

Sufficient unto the day is the question thereof — I’ll wait some hours to answer June 11.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Zink said:

No. I doubt I'd ever convince my wife to go and I don't travel that far without her.

I was at a board games convention in Moose Jaw in February. It was ok. Years ago I went to a small convention in Regina but don't know if anybody organises anything like that now.

True, but I haven't found any that seemed big. The few small ones that I went to in Regina seemed rather clique-y.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Baring catastrophe, *knocks wood*. Hotels along route scheduled much earlier this year, bought tickets last week when class sales were announced for next Friday. Have not gotten the painting done I'd like to.  Have offered to ninja shop big Sophies anywhere you're willing to pay shipping.  Had one and a half bites already.  Which makes it more scary/real.

I'd like to take classes on freehand and nmm, and Proctor's dot and dash class.  And a tour.  

Other conventions I usual play mostly train games.  Someone said there'll be a board game library.  Sadly I doubt it'll have any crayon games even if I could find 2-3others with 3 hours to spare. T2R is a maybe, though original America is my least favorite board.

• Like 8

18 hours ago, Inarah said:

June 11

No intention to help run anything, that’s for sure. Might not be able to afford to go, much less purchase classes. 

18 hours ago, Inarah said:

If you're not, what classes or events [do] you like to participate in when you go to a game or hobby convention? 

I most enjoy classes where I get to build things:
—Bones Mash-up classes. 

—Small terrain build classes. 
—A Hirst Arts brick stacking class (i.e., build a small ruin of only 20-30 bricks or so)

—Figure converting or rebasing. 

This sort ^ of thing. 

I like walk-up games, that didn’t have to be registered, or reserved in advance. Simple rules. But nice terrain setups. Unlike some people, I don’t really know what I’ll be in the mood to play four to six months in advance. 

• Like 10

On 6/9/2023 at 12:38 PM, Inarah said:

Sorry, stuff happened this morning

June 9

What is the best game you've never played?  (In order words, what looks fun or interesting, yet you haven't played)

Tales From The Floating Vagabond.

19 hours ago, Inarah said:

June 10

June 11

June 10: No. When I lived close enough to go I never could convince Cap'n John to go. Now I am better than a thousand miles away.

June 11: As I said, I am not going, but, if I did, I doubt I would sign up for classes; re, deaf people don't really get much from lectures.

• Like 10

22 hours ago, Inarah said:

June 11

Well, I'm going to be teaching, so anything I do will need to get fitted around that.

I'll be teaching a basic basing class and I have another idea that's pending review.

• Like 9

On 6/10/2023 at 9:55 AM, Inarah said:

June 10

June 11

Yes, I'm going.  It will be my second year.  Since I live in central Texas, it is a fairly easy drive up to Denton, maybe four hours with moderate traffic.  I have a ticket and a hotel room, and am awaiting purchasing tickets for classes next week.  I'm still debating which classes to take, but it will be intermediate painting classes for the most part.  I'm very excited to be abandoning my family taking some time alone.  I wish my oldest daughter could come along since she loves painting (not just, or even primarily, miniatures), but for some reason my wife does not believe ReaperCon is a good excuse for her to miss school.

I am thinking about signing up to run an old-school Dungeons and Dragons game (either first or second edition), but I've never run a game at a convention before and it would mean a lot of preparation between now and then.  I probably won't end up doing it.  I will likely sign up to play a few games.

• Like 9