GTKY: Daily Question Thread -- June 2023

Inarah

On 6/10/2023 at 10:55 AM, Inarah said:

June 10

Are you going to Reapercon?  Have you bought tickets, made travel plans, etc? 

June 11

If you're going, what classes or games to you intend to sign up for (or help run)? 

If you're not, what classes or events to you like to participate in when you go to a game or hobby convention? 

I had planned on going, but work wants me to go to a conference in Chicago the week Rcon begins. It's a good opportunity, and I'll be presenting there. So I suppose I should be excited about it. But I'd rather go relax and paint minis at a convention. I could potentially fly from Chicago straight to Texas after the conference and get there late Friday. But that sounds exhausting and expensive. Maybe next year I'll make it.

When I do go to conventions I try and participate in as many different games/activities as possible. I like to try and get in board games, roleplaying, larping, card games, etc. when I go to our local convention (Origins, which I also have to miss this year). I imagine Rcon would be the same just with a diversity of mini painting classes instead of some of the gaming. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/10/2023 at 11:55 AM, Inarah said:

June 10

June 11

If you're going, what classes or games to you intend to sign up for (or help run)? 

If you're not, what classes or events to you like to participate in when you go to a game or hobby convention? 

10th.  Nope.  One of these years, maybe, if I'm not traveling for F1 and we can things set up so someone can take care of the cats.

11th. I don't look at what is going on really, since that make not going better.

But I'd be all in for CAVCon, assuming that is still a part of it.

Beyond that, if there was an airbrush course or anything like that I'd live to get better with mine.

The last full gaming con I went to was GenCon 99, so been a bit.

I was up to the comics con in Moncton on Saturday, but really just to play in a Bolt Action tournament.

I'm not really into the whole comics side of things so while I did wander around a bit, I wasn't really interested in meeting the artists or checking out panels.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Inarah said:

June 12 

If you won the lottery what would you do? (Aside from paying off any debts) 

Retire, mainly.

Not really keen on moving again, but maybe an addition to expand my hobby area and give my wife a real quilting/hobby area as well.

Probably something motorhome-ish for going to the track, as well as for traveling.  Likely something fun an stupid fast that can be used for slalom and lapping.

And a bunch of travel. We have lots of places we'd like to see but have never been able to.

Family is all doing alright, mostly.  Probably help out the boys a bit.

Avoid that one cousin of mine I haven't heard from in 10 years but you know would be messaging me as soon as he heard.  And avoid one of my wife's brothers, who would be much the same.

Really, that's about it. 

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, Inarah said:

June 12 

Get out of this apartment, since it feels like lottery is the only way to afford a house these days... 

I'd also have an epic super mega awesome hobbying area, because why wouldn't I have a whole workspace dedicated to such? ^_^

• Like 9

43 minutes ago, Inarah said:

June 12 

Paint all my miniatures. :lol:

Buy/build a house with dedicated hobby rooms for my wife and I. 

Travel.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Inarah said:

June 12 

Buy more miniatures?

Seriously, we would probably move closer to family, and I would want to buy a nice big house with space to dedicate to gaming and painting.  I don't know if I would quite my job, but I would consider the idea.

But I would also buy more miniatures.  I would probably pledge more frequently on Kickstarters and buy a bunch of Reaper minis that I have always thought about buying but didn't because I wanted to limit my spending.

• Like 10

51 minutes ago, Inarah said:

June 12 

I'm going to assume this is one of those billion dollar life changing lottery amounts, mainly because that's the only time I'm convinced to buy a lottery ticket. The first thing I'd do is buy a bunch of land down in Appalachia somewhere to build a small house where I don't ever have to see or hear people if I don't want to. Then I'd start a couple of non profits. The first would be to just buy up as much undeveloped land for preservation as possible, bonus if it's covered in wetlands and streams. And the second would be to sue my state government every time they allowed a polluter to get away with impacts to people and the environment with no consequences. I know a lot of underpaid land agents and conservationists that would be happy to jump ship for a decent wage and make the first one a success. And the second one would likely be an exercise in futility, but it would drive certain people crazy and that would make it a lot of fun.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

June 12 

I might buy a house and not worry about my retirement funds. It's a sure bet it would have a nice dedicated hobby/game room.

Considering the cost of travel these days, I'd invite family members on a trip on a regular basis. I come from a well traveled family, but I like having company to share the experience. And since my mother invited us kids more than once on grand trips, I'd pass along the tradition with my niece and nephews (all teenagers to young adults).

And I don't think I'd retire as of right now.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 10

June 10

Yes, Bring the whole family, Airfares paid, hotel secured.  Getting ready to look through classes to get those taken care of on the 16th,

June 11

I have yet to look at the list.  Always pick up a class or two while I'm there. Would like to get a good NMM Class.  

At the local con my wife and I run a paint and take.  I'm hoping to add a beginners class for painting figs this fall.

• Like 10

Everyone is commenting about retiring or not if they won.. Oh yeah, I'd retire from my current job, and I totally forgot to mention that yes indeed, I'd also build an epic observatory because why not. 

And as awesome of a travel rig as I could set up as well, because I strongly suspect there'd be a decent amount of travelling.  What, thought someone who e joys driving would stop driving...?  Nope! 😛

I just wouldn't be working a job that forces me into day shift is all... 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

June 12 

I guess it depends on the size of the lottery, but for the most part I'd quit my job. I'd also give a million (again depends on the amount won) to my co-worker on the stipulation that he quits as well.

I think the biggest plan is I'd pay off the house then I'd move over to the Oregon Coast or more likely Eugene area.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

June 12 

Let's imagine it's the big price..( millions..)

• Pay off the mortgage
  • Upgrade the house with better isolation/solar panels/a new bathroom etc etc.
  • Donate a large sum to both Vixens so they as well can buy the house they want.
  • I would serve my last few years in the Air Force anyway since I really like it, and a few years fly by like the wind.
  • My girl would be able to retire earlier so we can spend our time together when I retire.
  • A new car/vacations etc.
  • Maybe buy a home in a nice warm country to spend our Winters in.
  • Buy a pack of Boxer Dogs.
  • Probably buy an appartment which will be transformed to one huge hobby room to put my painted minis on display in.
  • Take cooking lessons from Gordon Ramsey and Nigella Lawson

Or...buy a castle, hire mercenaries in medieval outfits and start my own Kingdom.

All bow to Lord Glitterwolf.

It has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

June 12 

I always joke that if we won the lottery we could buy ourselves a new family, but no one else in the family seems to find that funny…

Id definitely retire, pay someone to work on our house and fix up the family houses as well.  Past that, I’d just do more of what I do, although maybe more traveling.  I’ve always had a plan to move back to Oregon, but maybe we’d just do the trendy rich thing and buy a vacation home.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

June 12 

Well there went my first choice. I'm a rancher/farmer who's been slowly watching what he owns degrade without having the necessary cash to keep it all maintained. Wife would want to spend a bunch of it on travelling but my hope would be to fix things up on the ranch. But honestly that would take a pretty good payout from the lottery. Have you seen what farm equipment and supplies are worth nowadays? And it all only lasts so long so needs to be continually replaced.

• Like 9
  • Sad 3