GTKY: Daily Question Thread -- June 2023

Inarah

We've been slowly downsizing since mom passed.  Neither dad nor I can do yard work.  So I'd try to find a dwelling with no yard care required and room for what we want to keep, hobby space, some soundproofing, places to park inside, very nice kitchen.  

• Like 10

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Inarah said:

June 12 

If you won the lottery what would you do? (Aside from paying off any debts) 

There are many things to do,  so many things.  I'll skip the mundane things, though. 

In general terms I would get a nice-sized house built with room for either Pa Strawhat, the in-straws, or both.  I would absolutely have a hobby space that was all mine. I would transfer jobs to being a full time money manager and part time hobbyist (or the other way around).

There would also be charities, scholarships, etc. that needed funding and I expect a significant portion of the winnings would go to that once the domicile situation was handled. I expect that I would get some travel in. I've long wanted to see the northern/ southern lights, experience the midnight sun/midday moon, etc.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Inarah said:

June 12 

No debts so would not pay them off.  I'm retired on a fixed income.  I fixed it so I have more take home than I did when working.  Put a lot away into a retirement fund.  There is nothing that I want that I can not buy right now.

The other thing is you have to play the lottery to win the lottery.

• Like 10

15 hours ago, Inarah said:

June 12 

1) Quit my job.

2) Pay everything off.

3) Buy the Sunbeam Tiger I've always wanted.

4) Bank the remainder.

5) Devote the rest of my life to my interests/hobbies and traveling.

Simple enough.

The Egg

• Like 11

22 hours ago, Inarah said:

June 12 

Move away for a year or two and let things settle down.  While gone have all the things I want done to my property completed, Setup trusts for my nieces and nephews to either go to college or buy a house. Rescue the local Boy Scout Summer Camp that Council sold to settle their portion of the bankruptcy settlement and gift back in trust to the Scouts, and hopefully setup the finances that I can live out the rest of my days pursing things of interest with my wife.

Edited by chaosscorpion
  • Like 10

22 hours ago, Inarah said:

June 12 

I'd buy a nice little van & do the road trip thing, visit my friends in Texas & spoil the bejeezus out of my Grandkids.

• Like 11

17 hours ago, Zink said:

Well there went my first choice. I'm a rancher/farmer who's been slowly watching what he owns degrade without having the necessary cash to keep it all maintained. Wife would want to spend a bunch of it on travelling but my hope would be to fix things up on the ranch. But honestly that would take a pretty good payout from the lottery. Have you seen what farm equipment and supplies are worth nowadays? And it all only lasts so long so needs to be continually replaced.

So that explains the Steak Giver moniker. 

I'm back working at the feedlot again, not enough hours at the first job. When my dad owned it, it was a nice little lot with a maximum of 4000 head. We had a great crew and just enough work most of the time. He sold it in 2020 and went into retirement. The new owner doubled the size of the place. They can't keep a constant crew and things are falling apart all over the place. The gates in the new addition weren;t mounted properly and are laying in the alley. It was built last fall. The tennant in the house I grew up in left the water on and flooded the place. It's heartbreaking to see everything slowly degrade. No one has anything invested in it but money. 

• Sad 7

23 hours ago, Inarah said:

June 12 

If you won the lottery, what would you do?

Lottery draws exist in several different sizes —six, seven, eight, once in a while nine figures— so it depends on the magnitude. But step 1) is pay taxes; step 2) Inarah mentioned. Then…

Pray for guidance

Because dumb ideas will present themselves. 

Hire a Lawyer, no, a whole Law Firm

People I don’t owe money to will start explaining that I do owe them money and relatives I’d never heard of will be queuing up. 

Launch new career as Money Manager

If this was one of the stupidly big nine-figure nominal totals —like it or not Money Manager it is. 

• Like 10

34 minutes ago, Inarah said:

June 13 

Looking back at birthday presents or wedding gifts what have you gotten the most use from over the years? 

Generally the boring stuff, like clothing. 

I do use some of the tools I've gotten on occasion, but I wear clothes every day. 

• Like 11

55 minutes ago, Inarah said:

June 13 

Looking back at birthday presents [ . . . ] what have you gotten the most use from over the years? 

A fancy Koh-i-noor Pencil. Giant 5.6mm lead. Silvery aluminium barrel. 
s-l1600.jpg

I like to sketch with it. It was one of the last birthday presents from my Dad before he passed. 

• Like 13

20 hours ago, Zink said:

Have you seen what farm equipment and supplies are worth nowadays? And it all only lasts so long so needs to be continually replaced.

It's absolutely ridiculous. A neighbor of ours down on the farm had a fire in one of their outbuildings last year where he stored a combine and several other pieces of machinery necessary to operate his business. The replacement cost of the lost building and machinery is close to a million dollars. If the insurance company ends up lowballing him on the payout then that's likely it for him. If that happens then his farm will likely get snatched up by an investment company and will either become a housing development or get farmed by someone who doesn't give a damn about the land or their neighbors - which is already the case for a lot of the land around us. At this point it's really become impossible to get into the ag business as your own boss without already having money or land. And the price of everything is squeezing out the small farmer.

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

June 13 

Looking back at birthday presents or wedding gifts what have you gotten the most use from over the years? 

My dad gave us a bundle of nylon rope as a joke when we got married. Said it was a new dryer. So we hung it up out back of the house and used it for the intended purpose for many years. We still have about 5 meters of it left that I've got hanging in the basement that I use to air dry blankets that can't go through the dryer. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 4