GTKY: Daily Question Thread -- June 2023

Inarah

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

June 2 

Do you find your taste in figures and painting styles has changed over the years or are you still collecting the same miniatures that attracted you to the hobby? 

My taste in figures seems to expand rather than change, but painting-wise I'm still colouring in my minis like always.

• Like 11

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

June 2 

Do you find your taste in figures and painting styles has changed over the years or are you still collecting the same miniatures that attracted you to the hobby? 

Not really.  I tend to gravitate toward realistic fantasy.  I don't like it when things get cartoony.  My favorites are creatures, especially dragons and trolls.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

June 2 

Somewhat.  I used to mostly paint monsters, with just the occasional token PC.  As I’ve shifted from table painting to more display quality painting, I find myself painting far more PCs.  Also, I paint far more females than males, I guess I’ve always preferred the company of women?  I only painted my first larger scale figure and my first bust over this last year, and I really enjoyed the process.  They take longer, so I seem to spend a much greater percentage of my painting time on these than I did before.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Inarah said:

June 2 

I wouldn't say that my taste has changed (significantly), but I'm a bit more focused now...even though I'm buying more things.  As if that makes any sense.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Inarah said:

June 2 

Since there aren't any Pathfinder games with my friends anymore, I've shifted away from Reaper fantasy miniatures. Now I play Warhammer 40k and that holds my interests. As for painting style, ever since I started using contrast paints, I've found that I really like how simple they are to use and I get great results (though they do have a learning curve).

• Like 8

Weekend double hitter:

June 3

June is the beginning of Hurricane Season in the Americas.  Five tropical storms have already begun forming.  Do you now or have you ever lived in areas prone to hurricanes?  

June 4

Natural disasters are not limited to severe weather.  Earthquakes, flooding, and fires also affect us.  Are you and your family prepared with an emergency plan and supplies if you need to evacuate  or take shelter someplace else? 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Weekend double hitter:

June 3

June is the beginning of Hurricane Season in the Americas.  Five tropical storms have already begun forming.  Do you now or have you ever lived in areas prone to hurricanes?  

If hurricanes made it out here, especially by the shortest path, well...  If I had the chance, I'd want to smack whoever angered the gots that much! :devil:  Nah, hurricanes don't make it out here, there's a massive natural barrier in the form of mountains, which of course brings about all sorts of fun in the jetstream.... 

We do get tornadoes though. 

5 minutes ago, Inarah said:

June 4

Natural disasters are not limited to severe weather.  Earthquakes, flooding, and fires also affect us.  Are you and your family prepared with an emergency plan and supplies if you need to evacuate  or take shelter someplace else? 

Nervous laughter.  We have some basics, but living in a one bedroom apartment where space is at a complete premium, it is difficult to have much of anything as extras.  I do plan on getting a stash of a few things though, because it's always handy, even if it's just for camping or going out and being able to make a hot meal anywhere. 

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Weekend double hitter:

June 3

June 4

We have friends and family in hurricane country, but we're in tornado and thunderstorm territory.  The family did live in hurricane territory for a few years about fifty years ago but job situations changed and the family came back here.  So I did live in a state known to experience those effects for a few months, but I've no memory if it.

We have a few basics, but little beyond that.  Flooding and earthquakes are pretty much non-issues for us personally due to local geography.  It's mostly severe thunderstorms and the potential for tornadoes.

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, Inarah said:

June 3

Currently, I'm not sure. I think we're far enough from the coast that any such storm would likely weaken, but that's far from certain.

I Was in the Navy, so, yes, I spent a significant portion of my life living in hurricane prone areas.

• Like 11

On 6/2/2023 at 4:33 PM, Inarah said:

June 2 

Yes  I still collect Undead in all their forms and Chaos. Over the years Lizardmen  were added. Lately expanding to Aztecs and Conquistadores.

42 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Weekend double hitter:

June 3

June 4

June 3.no hurricanes here.

June 4. We're reasonably prepared, 

Always food and other stuff in stock. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

June 3

Nope.

Even when I lived in the USA I was far away from the hurricane zone.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

Weekend double hitter:

June 3

June 4

Too far inland and too far north to be hit by hurricanes, though tornadoes are a thing here. There's been forest fires up north but nothing that gets here, we've had wet years that have resulted in flooded basements. Don't have an emergency plan per se, but help is always close by if needed.

• Like 9

On 6/2/2023 at 8:33 AM, Inarah said:

June 2 

Most likely no as far a taste in figures. I still like what I liked when I first got into miniatures back in the 80s. I don't go for overly sexual/nude figures thou. I like older style GW vs newer style. I'm more of a fan of older Reaper figures then I am of current ones, to a certain extent. Some of the more popular, trendy figures I'm like eh, it's ok. I will admit getting back into full time gaming has changed my figure buying, as there are some minis I probably wouldn't buy if I didn't need it for a game, for example. Also, I lean more towards stl minis vs physical mini as being able to print the figure vs ordering - waiting, as there is nothing local as far a purchasing from a store.

As far as panting, if you call painting less a style then yah that has changed. With the advent of quick painting products, I've leaned more into those as I'm a slow painter, I always have been & always will. With Speedpaint/Contrast/Xpress whatever that helps me get through a figure & onto the table. Thou these days, I'm fine with just dropping a grey (primed or material color) onto the table for play. I still will not put a bare metal figure onto the table, that has & will not change!

Weekend double hitter:

June 3

June is the beginning of Hurricane Season in the Americas.  Five tropical storms have already begun forming.  Do you now or have you ever lived in areas prone to hurricanes. 

June 4

I've live in this area all my life, so there is no way a hurricane can reach me.

I wanna say yes to June 4th, but I will probably say no. We live in a mostly disaster-prone free area, but there is always a chance of a fire breaking out or an earthquake. No chance of floods thou, as our climate/area is way to dry for that to happen. I think we are in the mega-volcano fall out area of Yellowstone if it ever decided to go full-steam ahead. ::D:

• Like 10

June 3

June is the beginning of Hurricane Season in the Americas.  Five tropical storms have already begun forming.

Did they give them names yet? Does that mean NHC has burned A to E?

Do you now, or have you ever, lived in areas prone to hurricanes? 

No, the Gryffin eyrie is well inland.  And always has been.  (A good six or seven hundred feet above sea level I think.)

• Like 10

On 6/2/2023 at 10:33 AM, Inarah said:

June 2 

I pretty much have the same taste in figures. Maybe a few more that I'd like to paint up more artistically, but they're the same ones. Painting styles I have branched out more as the online community has put more content out there from 13 years ago.

June 3

Thankfully no. I live far inland, hundreds of miles away from the coastline.

• Like 10