Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Grimtooth's dungeon of doom

Recommended Posts

Welcome to the game.  Henceforth, the game title and "GDoD" will be used interchangeably, since I'm basically lazy.

 

The ground rules:

1.  Post in present-tense third-person - "Norbert rushes up to the dragon" as opposed to "I rushed up to the dragon."

2.  Don't post other characters' actons, unless specifically given permission.  If you have to do something to another character, post it conditionally - "Norbert ties the rope around Eddie, and, assuming Eddie doesn't object, lowers him into the maelstrom."

3.  Anything posted in here is considered in-character unless specifically stated otherwise.  Please post OOC stuff in the GDoD thread in the GDoD Banter thread in The Gathering.

4.  Posting what your character is thinking is discouraged.  If your character wants his thoughts public, have him/her say them, or indicate it through body language.

5.  Please stick to established writing, punctuation, and grammar conventions.  Remember, an annoyed GM is an Evil GM.

6.  With each post, I'll indicate the deadline for replies.  I understand that Real Life happens to all of us occasionally, but please try to post by the deadline.  Characters who are regularly not posted for are more likely to react slightly slower to the untoward, or to be In The Wrong Place In The Wrong Time.

 

Now that the unpleasant bit's over, on to the game:

 

The roll call at the moment:

Reekik Telgar, a Nathi crystalworker

Kirinithiel ('Rini), a faerie.

Keelug (Kee'g), a Krg'nat (frogman)

Havilan, currently a disgruntled-looking gnome.

Snowy, a white ferret with a knapsack and pogo stick, about the size of a Labrador puppy.

 

 

 

 

GRIMTOOTH'S DUNGEON OF DOOM

 

It is after a long and arduous journey from well...a long, arduous journey, that All our heroes arrive on a grim dark moor, overlooking the bay of...well, that's not important, and they don't remember the name anyway.  Anyway, on the grim dark moor, as the fog closes in around you and the seabirds wheel overhead, their high forlorn cries speculating about lunch, our heroes find themselves gathered around a large graven capstone.

 

Set almost flush with the ground, in a collar ring of strangely unweathered granite, the ten-foot wide capstone is deeply graven with the following inscription:

 

This is the last resting place of EVINROOD the Water Wizard

   He did battle with Segolub the Master of Daemons

          in the year of Turekk's fall.

           He failed, and was Accursed.

EVINROOD, Savior of the Karthaki, friend of Dwarves and Silmn

       MASTER OF THE ELEMENTS THEMSELVES

      rests herein with his great treasure.

          Dusturb them at your peril.

         

In much smaller and fresher characters, looking scratched on the rock with a stick, is the word "Buggrit".

 

This, at long last, is your destination, that for which you have been searching ever since...a long time ago.

 

There is just about enough space between capstone and collar to insert a prybar.

 

 

Deadline for posts is Monday December 16.  I will of course post earlier if the situation warrants it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Havilan glares at the stone, although it is unclear whether this is specifically directed at the stone, or a more general glare at anything which falls into the category of "visible object."

 

"Bloody hellfire.  I know this place now.  What in the name of the Bifurcated Twig-Broom of Arlingor are we doing back here?  I don't even know how I got here . . . "  Havilan lapses momentarily into introspective silence, his hands, as always, unconsciously fiddling with his dagger's hilt.  "Well, if I'm here now, there must be a reason, and I'll be d*mned to the Purple H*ll of Plodrog the Semi-Omnipotent if I let those miserable gnomes get in my way this time.  Bloody rockmunchers and gritsuckers, the lot of 'em."  Havilan's mood suddenly becomes cheerfully inquisitive.  It may or may not be a deliberate act.  "This rock doohicky lifts up, or something, I think."  Havilan kneels down (not very far, considering his current height) and examines the rock more carefully, crossing out "Water Wizard" and writing in "Pompous Arrogant Callous Barstard" with the point of his dagger, which cuts easily through the surface of the rock with nary a nick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reekik looks very closely at the inscribed letters and clucks quietly at them. She turns to her compatriots and frowns slightly.

I'm here finally because...who are these people? No, I know them...bah its not important right now. What's important is that I'm here...right,  I'm where I am.

 

"Turekk, he was our liberator. This is very old." She shakes off the odd sense of time displacement and turns to her comrades. "So who wants to be first?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kee'g walks up to the capstone and looks down at the inscription.  After a minute or two of muttering each word and tracing it with his finger, he stands back.

 

 "I have nothing to open this with," Kee'g tells the others, his voice deep and thick, the words trying to find their way around his rather large tongue.  He pauses for a while, apparently deep in thought.  "But will aid I..."  his voice trails off, and he mutters to himself some more.

 

 "But I will aid in the opening of it!  It has been too long since last I spoke in the Common.  It will come back quickly, I sure am... am sure."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
"Hrumph.  Opening, indeed.  To open, opener, leverage, lever . . . aha!"  Havilan retrieves his walking stick from where it lies on the ground nearby and attempts to shove the rock aside, ceasing his activity if the stick shows an inclination to break.  The small turtle carved on the top appears to be giving everyone a knowing grin, possibly because it knows a secret, or possibly because it's got a large stash of small wooden marijuana leaves tucked away someplace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"OOoooo!!!!  Havilan, how LOVELY to see you again!"  The little faery leaps to her feet and then looks down at the chain she was threading the gold chain into.  "Hm, yes, I will finish, just a moment, if you please."  

 

"Why, I ... feel like I should know you all, but I can only recall Havilan, how odd.  But my dear, you should have picked something better than that...husk."  she sniffs derisively in the direction of the gnome.

 

"Oo, do we want to go in?  Let me see what I might have to help.  Do you think you could help?" she seemingly asks the chains.  "No matter," she continues distractedly and without pause while she begins rummaging in one of her pouches.  "Hmm, no...no...hmmm..."  After a minute she looks apologetic.  "I'm afraid I've nothing which might help get that cover off, and well, I'm not that useful for moving big people stuff."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Her uncertain glances clearly show that Snowy the Freakin' Wonder Ferret is loathe to risk her precious pogo-stick in acts of leverage. She snoops around the stone; it is thrice intruiging! A hole (like a burrow, potentially full of rabbits or gnomes or other nutritious meaty snacks); a sealed hole (and hence obviously not her business); a sealed hole with SHINY THINGS IN IT!! She drops to all fours and sniffs with animation and vigour, nosing the seams and the letters in agitated excitement. Finally she rises to hind-legs and squats on her haunches to pronounce her assessment.

 

"The BIGGEST of us should lift it, who is biggest? They should lift."

 

Her bipedal walk is less clumsy than one might have expected as she scampers around the group pinching biceps and making thinking-noises like "tch" "tut" and "hmmmmm...."

 

"I will make the biggest stronger- behold, I command THE ELEMENTS!!"

 

Snowy begins to dance and sway on her hind-legs, her nimble forepaws inscribing runes in the air as her small voice trills words of magic. Tangible power gathers about her like a cloak; it would all be very impressive indeed if she weren't... well... a ferret. Or if the cloak wasn't somewhat thin. Maybe if she spoke in a voice of thunder, that would be more impressive too. Be that as it may, she will attempt to cast Make Strong (Enhance Body) on the biggest and buffest, should she gain permission to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
"Hrmph."  Havilan examines the stone for thickness.  If no other expedient presents itself, he will carefully jab the dagger blade into the stone, checking for obstructions and/or etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With some effort (though surprising ease, owing to the quality of the dagger), Havilan is able to jab the dagger eight inches into the rock, down to the hilt.  Withdrawing it from the stone is a little more difficult, almost as though something is pulling on the blade.  Looking into the hole, he can see nothing, and further investigation with a stick, should he chose to do so, reveals that he just barely poked all the way through the stone, but there's something underneath it as well.

 

Small dendritic cracks radiate out from the dagger-hole, though not to the extent that they would impair the structural integrity of the capstone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Reekik drops her pack and walks over to the capstone. Moving her bare hands over it she searches out any metal that may be connected to anything underneath or to a locking mechanism. Assuming she finds anything she fills the metal with Power trying to discern shape, form and structure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reekik has to stick a bonemetal probe down the hole Havilan made in order to get contact, but as she checks with power, her red irises glowing, she discovers that there's a large metal disk, probably attached to the bottom of the capstone.  Attached to that disk is an axle of some sort, with what could possibly be an armature of some sort, and possibly fuzzy.

 

Per private conversation with Dalassa, Reekik shares this information with the masses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×