Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Grimtooth's dungeon of doom

Recommended Posts

"I think . . . I think I remember . . . some sort of mechanism . . . buggering gnomes and their machines . . . somehow, we make it open."  Havilan shakes his head momentarily, as if clearing away cobwebs.  His face tightens back into its standby position of outwardly directed self-loathing.  "Let's just blow it apart.  I don't want to spend any longer than I have to in this place."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Twitching with impatience (for ferrets are not patient creatures) Snowy chatters: "look, look, look. I'll look. I can use magic! I call this one ...." again the shadow of power gathers..... "PEEK!" [Move Mind]

 

Sitting on her haunches, Snowy begins to sway back and forth. She has a small fetish covered in various bits of feather, bone, and broken glass that apparently represents a ferret. She sways for several moments before beginning the high, whistling chant that precedes the release of the magic...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Five seconds later, she hiccups, squeeks, and sits bolt upright...  her eyes roll back into a more natural-looking position too. She looks frustrated.

 

"There IS. There IS metal in there, in that door to that burrow. I saw a light froma hole, and I saw rope. Lots of metal, in two plates maybe. It.... with light it would be... shiny."

 

Her eyes are alight with the prospect. She unconsciously licks her forepaws, as though she might taste the shiny-ness of that metal.

 

"I'm sorry-sorry, I couldn't see much more- it was just a Peek, and it was very, very dark. Oh! I know! Maybe it's a game! Maybe if we win we can take the sniny pieces of the door...."

 

She begins to circle the door in agitation and shiny-object-desire, trying to see if this is what her master might have called "A puzzle"... before he went insane that is. Perhaps there is a lock or hidden catch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Blowing it open should be our last recourse. There is almost certainly a hidden mechanism somewhere. Mr. Havilan, you seem to have some familarity with this place, can you tell us anymore? Mr. Kee'g you may be right about the metal supporting the stone. I suspect that it is movable if you know the trick."

 

Reekik glances quickly at Snowy to make sure she isn't going to stop breathing again and then bends down to examine the capstone again. She looks for anything out of place using all her years of dealing with engineering issues in the Nathi military. She will continue the examination until someone catches her attention or some other major event occurs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reekik spends long minutes poking at the capstone with her probe. Occasionally muttering under her breath, she seems to be lost in her task. She finally flattens herself on the stone while carefully sending currents of power into the metal underneath. While she still is in contact she describes what she sees.

"Its unsecured..but heavy, if we had strength we could move it. The metal thing is a....cog?....no, its a spool maybe. For the ropes Snowy saw, hmm. Openable from the inside only? I can't see any connections, but, maybe."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
"This is getting us nowhere!" shouts Havilan, his ever-fragile grip on his patience slipping.  He stomps to the capstone and jumps up and down on it, screaming "Open up you barstards!  I knows you're in there!  Bugger all gnomes and trap-filled dungeons!  Openopenopen!  Graaaargh!"  The jewels on his dagger shimmer and flash, perhaps catching the fading sunlight, and everyone feels a slight urge to hit someone or something (probably Havilan) as the dagger broadcasts a touch of Havilan's depthless fund of petty anger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"This is getting us nowhere!" shouts Havilan, his ever-fragile grip on his patience slipping.  He stomps to the capstone and jumps up and down on it, screaming "Open up you barstards!  I knows you're in there!"

 

The capstone, already weakened, cracks further and still further.

 

"...Bugger all gnomes and trap-filled dungeons!  Openopenopen!"

 

...and still further.  In the midst of his jumping, Havilan appears to realize something.

 

"Graaaargh!"  The jewels on his dagger shimmer and flash, perhaps catching the fading sunlight, and everyone feels a slight urge to hit someone or something (probably Havilan) as the dagger broadcasts a touch of Havilan's depthless fund of petty anger.

 

...and then CRACK!  The capstone breaks asunder, and Havilan dives for safety.  He almost makes it, scrabbling at the edge, but then joins the capstone in its three falling slabs, plus a tangle of copper, pully, rope, and Havilan, down into the deep dark hole.

 

"AIIEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" is Havilan's commentary on the matter.  

 

The scream goes on for about three seconds, then ends in a loud THOCK-SPLOSH far below.

 

[Havilan, details in your Private Messages]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
"Ooo, that's gonna hurt," ponders Rini.  "Shall I just hop down and see if he's ok?  Oh, silly me, of course Havilan is ok, but maybe his host isn't.  Still, investigating is worthwhile!"  The little faery flutters down, beginning to glow slightly as she descends down into the well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[administrative note for the lurkers:  I've moved the game to e-mail, since it's just easier that way.  I'll still be posting the turns here.  If the outcry is too great, I'll see about posting the individual player posts here too.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, as long as you include what THEY say and do, that's fine with me. But please do keep posting as I am enjoying the "story/game so far.

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TURN 2:  REEKIK, KEELUG

"Ooo, that's gonna hurt," ponders Rini.  "Shall I just hop down and see if he's ok?  Oh, silly me, of course Havilan is ok, but maybe his host isn't.  Still, investigating is worthwhile!"  The little faery flutters down, beginning to glow slightly as she descends down into the well.

 

Snowy pulls out a statuette of a flying ferret, and casts a spell she calls "EEEEK!"

 

Then, flapping her paws, she descends into the hole after Rini.

 

Kee'g reaches down and tests the walls for climbabilty.  His common sense tells him that this is not going to be possible without a rope or something.  It's far too sheer.

 

Thus, he sits down on the edge of the shaft and scratches in the dirt with his spear, waiting for the flying ferret or the fairy to return.  After a few moments, he stands up, leans over the pit, and shouts, "Do you need any help?"  Not expecting an answer, he looks up at Reekik.  "So, what brings you here?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TURN 2: RINI, HAVILAN, SNOWY

 

"Bloody ####, that hurt."  Havilan stands up carefully, in case any bits fall off.  He is unconsciously holding the dagger at arm's length above his head, his instinctive response being to keep it as far away from the water as possible.  The dagger glimmers faintly in bright reds, blues, and greens, granting a minimal amount of light.  "Doors, eh?  Bah.  If only I still had that thief around.  He could take care of these right quick."  Havilan glances up the shaft.  "HALLOOO!?  I GOT IT OPEN!  I TOLD YOU TO JUST BLAST IT!"  Limping but very pleased with himself, Havilan moves to examine the doors, making it a point NOT to poke with or fiddle with any bits which might make themselves inconspicuously obvious for novice lockpickers.

 

Rini, meanwhile, descends all 225 feet, glowing slightly, and not touching the walls.

 

Snowy also descends in a slow and graceful flapping of paws, and alights on a fairly dry bit of rubble next to Havilan.

 

Then she bites Havilan, the sort of warning-bite administered by cats or, unsurprisingly, ferrets.

 

Havilan manages to restrain himself from instinctively carving a ferret filet in au jus.  But it's a near thing.  A big part of it is not wanting to get any nearer the water than possible, rust having always been high on Havilan's extensive list of fears.  Snowy should be pleased.  From Havilan, this is a sign of considerable goodwill and generosity.

 

"Good to see you survived that...Oh!  I remember these doors.  I think, sort of... there was a trick..."  The little faery flits over to a door and inspects it carefully, first looking for locks and other mechanisms, and then looking for magical bits.  Or anything interestingly shiny or engraved.

 

The doors (five feet wide, ten feet tall, of carven stone, partially submerged in water) have one little hole apiece that might be a keyhole, but they're like no keyhole you've ever seen.

 

Havilan grunts noncommittally and attempts to find a path to the doors that will enable him to keep his dagger entirely out of the water.  "Bloody gnomes," is his sole comment on the matter.

 

As it happens, the doors do radiate magic, and they are well and truly locked.

 

A froggy voice from above shouts "Do you need any help?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[Turn 3]

 

Snowy's eyes narrow. Havilan is NOT nice. Maybe she will be more polite, but MAYBE she will plot terrible.... oooooo! Look! Doors! Ooo! A fairy!  All previous thought forgotten, she poings merrily to the doors...and falls into three feet of water, through which she has to poing or swim, coughing and spluttering.

 

She replicates the search for locks and such, trying all the while not to activate anything ferret-squishing. She finds the same weird keyholes, the same radiating magic.

 

Oh, that nice frogman said something before...

"We're fine!" she calls, and tries to remember if her stash-bag has any rope. Meanwhile, she unconsciuosly wonders out-loud if they would do better at puzzling this lock if she used her "Think! Think! Think!" spell. It would need to be used on someone more adept at reading the magic of the doors than she; while she can sense the power there, she cannot analyse it. Maybe one of these strange beings can?

 

Rini flits quickly out of splash range until the wet ferret stops poinging in the water.  Seeing as this puts her toward the higher part of the door she continues examining it, humming to herself.  "I can try to get it unlocked.  Are the frog and girl with red eyes coming?"  Rini peers upwards, and then decides to try to get the door open anyway, in case they come down more rapidly than expected.

 

Havilan and Snowy both scramble through the water to hide behind something as Rini prepares her spell.  It is at this point that Keelug and Reekik descend from on high, with a strange contraption composed of a small iron cookpot, a frog loincloth, and fifty feet of rope.  We will not go into the details of the construction, for they are unsuitable for a family game.

 

At any rate, they land in three feet of water, splashing Havilan severely, but otherwise without damage.

 

Then as Rini casts her spell, there is a slight CLICK, all around them, all under them.  The doors appear to still be shut, but they no longer radiate magic.

 

Snowy climbs to a dry spot, and poings up and down wildly, loudly congratulating Rini on her obvious success. Chanting "Rini! Rini!  Riniaaaaargh!", her poinging causes the entire floor to shift about three inches downward with a sickening lurch.  Her next involuntary poing causes the floor to detatch completely from whatever it was attatched to, and it drops like a stone out from underneath everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×