Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Grimtooth's dungeon of doom

Recommended Posts

[Turn 4 - Everyone but Rini]

 

Havilan, having moved grumpily towards the door while polishing his  dagger with his shirt upon Rini's completion of the spell, reacts with  uncanny speed to the changing situation.

 

"What in the name of -" he says, as the floor drops from under  him.  "Oh, shiiiiiii-"  His cry is cut short by his own untucked shirt  flapping into his face.  He flails randomly about, splashing  violently, and scrambles on top of a rock, seeking to put something  soft, like a giant ferret, between him and the ground when the impact  hits.  "Not bloody again.  Doesn't this damnable place have a  bottom!?"  His dagger flares in a particolored burst of light under  the pressure of his warring fear (at his impending demise) and anger  (at whomever his rather badly corroded logic circuits eventually  decide to be at fault for aforesaid demise).

 

Snowy scrabbles around frantically, dislodging havilan back into the water.

 

"I will cast..EEEEK!" she declares, moving her forepaws about in an eldritch fashion.

 

Instantly, she and Keelug rise out of the water, still falling, but much much slower than the rest of the group, the floor, and the water.

 

Rini ponders this for a brief moment, glancing between the door and her companions.  She mutters briefly to her chains:  "Door, or them?"  But in the instant it takes to do that, she appears to have decided, and zips down as fast as she can, flying down past them and searching for a place to make a web with her rope - before they hit whatever is down there.

 

The floor has tipped slightly as it falls, allowing Rini to make it past, avoiding most of the water, but she finds as she gets under the falling floor that the ultimate ground is only about another ten feet off.

 

From the vantage point of everyone else, they see a little glowing Rini shoot down underneath them, there is an abruptly truncated "EEEEEK!" from below them, and then the world stops moving REALLY REALLY QUICKLY as the slab hits bottom.

 

Rubble, water, and bodies fly all over the place.  Havilan is flattened against the floor by the impact, and then a rock falls on him, with quite thorough consequences.  Reekik curls into a ball and lands heavily, but manages to avoid all the falling masonry.  Snowy and Keelug touch down gently on top of the rock that squished Havilan.

 

The bottom of the shaft looks remarkably like the last bottom of the shaft did, though the water is a bit redder and there's more rubble.  A pair of 10' tall, 5' wide graven stone doors stand before them, radiating magic, same as the first ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[Turn 4 - Rini]

The slab lands on her.  You really don't want any more graphic details, do you?  I didn't think you did.

 

After what feels like it should be ages, Rini thinks she hears a muffled "Buggrit."  An age or two later, the mist clears, and she finds herself in a very dark room.  Glowing slightly, she takes a look around.

 

The first thing she sees is a stucco wall, covered with scenes of a very short wizard type, engaged in a number of triumphs.  The room is about 30 feet wide by 40 feet across, with a pair of five by ten double doors in the wall directly in front of her.  The walls are unbroken stucco otherwise.

 

She herself is on an ornately carved coffin, six feet from the rear of the room, chained most securely down, via the magic chains already on her wrists.  The coffin is on a raised pedestal about six feet from the back wall of the room.

 

Above the coffin, behind her, is a roundel, carved from stucco as well.  n it are carved many pictures of herself, Rini, getting mashed with rocks, stung to death by killer bees, eaten by sharks, sawn up, shot from a tube, and several other things that probably aren't medical procedures.

 

Oddly enough, her clothes are clean, pressed, and unlike what tended to happen to poor old Deetwunny, she's still wearing them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[Turn 5 - Everyone but Rini]

 

Snowy looks mournfully at the liquified fairy-juice slowly diluting in the  water at their feet, and only slightly less mournfully at the floating  chunks of gnome.  She sighs heavily, and turns her attention to the wounded  Nathi. Reaching into her wet and muddy, and now slightly meat-flavoured bag,  she pulls out a slightly enchanted needle and catgut thread, and begins  waving it over Reekik.

 

"Reekik, with your permission? I can make the hurting less, I think. I will  cast..... FIXY-UPPY-THING!"

 

She is as usual unaware that her pronouncements lack their deserved dramatic  impact, and begins her dance. On completion, when the alluring smell of  freshly-minced gnome has weakened her resolve somewhat, she pops a piece of  what looks suspiciously like /hamster jerky/ into her mouth and chews,  pointedly ignoring all the fresh meat on show.

 

Reekik's injuries are mostly gone now.

 

After a few minutes, a gnome bursts out of the water, holding Havilan's knife.  It's a different gnome, and appears somewhat nonplussed.  Other than the bits of ex-gnome festooned about it, however, the gnew gnome is quite gnekked, much more than is the gnorm.  It has bright red hair braided down to its waist, and a drooping moustache that might once have been of the handlebar style.

 

"Wot in th' heck heppined?  I wasna expectin' sooch a great tumble as  all that, aye, I wasna.  I dinna feel sae well, ye ken.  Och, an' I've  got a wee bit o' me own innards a-hangin' from me forhead.  That's a  pisser, innit?"  Havilan's eyes cross briefly as his personality wars  with his current incarnation's atrocious accent.  "This dungeon is fer  eejits, I say.  Let's get what 'tis we come fer and get gone.  Where  are we, ennaway?"  Havilan wanders gnekkidly around, examining the  current environs.  A cool breeze, probably leftover wind from the rush  of stone down the shaft, swirls briefly by.  "Och, and someone pass me  some pants."

 

Snowy is suddenly transfixed by the doors before them. Somewhere in her only  recently vestigial ferret-mind a growing excitement seems to be taking hold-  if the quivering whiskers, shining eyes, and small digging-motion gestures  are anything to go by. Her instincts compel her! "Snowy!" They sigh "Snowy! Behind the doors there will be Precious Things!  Things one hides in holes! Meaty things! Shiny things! Shiny, shiny things!"

 

She takes a biped-step towards the doors. Those close to her may see her  lips, involuntarily, form the word "Shiny..."

 

And then something snaps. Poinging wildly towards the doors, oblivious to  the gross floating bits in the fouled water, eyes alight with enthusiasm,  she sings "Shiny things! Shiny things! Hordes of shiny, shiny things!" She  is obviously intent on opening the doors post-haste. Wether she will  succeed, trigger a trap, or even make it as far as the doors, remains to be  seen.... she can see how to unlock the doors, and unless someone stops her,  that's exactly what she'll attempt.

 

Being a bit on the wary side due to recent happenings, Keelug tosses the extra loincloth he was about to offer to Havilan away and jumps behind a pile of rubble, holding his iron pot as firmly over his head as he can.  After a second, his hand reaches out and grabs the spear he left behind.

 

Notwithstanding the froggly clatter behind her, Snowy, flailing about in sugar-rush extasy, casts a spell of indeterminate nomonclature.

 

Nothing happens for a bit.

 

CLICK

 

The doors slowly open outward, aided somewhat by the pressure of three feet of kibble-filled water.  Snowy spills through the doors, utterly failing to be diced, impaled, truncated, or even inconvenienced by any traps.

 

The first thing everyone sees when the enter the room is a stucco wall, covered with scenes of a very short wizard type, engaged in a number of triumphs.  The room is about 30 feet wide by 40 feet across, with a raised pedestal about six feet from the far wall.  The walls are unbroken stucco otherwise.  The pedstal holds an ornately carved coffin, to the top of which is chained Rini.  The chains on her wrists are attatching her securely, and she appears to be trying to persuade them to let go.  Oddly enough, her clothes are clean, pressed, and unlike what happened to Havilan, she's still wearing them.

 

Above the coffin, behind her, is a roundel, carved from stucco as well.  On it are carved many pictures of whoever happens to be looking at the time, getting mashed with rocks, stung to death by killer bees, eaten by sharks, sawn up, shot from a tube, and several other things that probably aren't medical procedures.

 

The murky, durty water has now spread throughout the entire room, to a depth of about three inches.

 

The room radiates a low-intensity background magic, sort of like a radio being played at just less than audible in the next room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[Turn 5 - Rini]

 

Rini sighs.  "Next time, I think the doors.  Oh, did they hurt you?"  She looks at her chains, glowing a little more to see if they still have their necklaces.  "Hmm.  Well at least they're neat.  I don't know what Havilan has against the little gnomes.  Except that nasty Deetwunny, but he was different."  

 

She studies the wall for a while.  "Hm, that must be the guy whose tomb this is."  Then she turns her attention to the roundel.  "I most certainly don't remember killer bees.  The sharks seem familiar though, I wonder...Havilan said something about being a shark."  She ponders a moment.  "And Deetwunny... ah, it's all foggy."

 

She searches for her stuff, and when she can't see it she tries a simple detect magic to find at least her pouches.  These are revealed to be about a foot and a half below her.

 

"Hmm.  Oh bother."  

 

"HAVILAN??  SNOWY???  FROG-MAN???" she calls as loudly as she can, pondering what the glowing-eye-girl is called.  "HAAAAAVILAAAAAAAANNNNN?"

 

She tugs at the chain on the left.  "C'mon, let go..."  She then tugs at the right ones.  "You two.  Honestly.  If you don't let go, we won't get to see the pretties down further.  Maybe there's another necklace for each of you down there... or maybe even something better.  But, I guess we'll never know..."

 

If chains could sigh, these would.  As it is, the right one wavers in indecision.  The left one doesn't move, not does any sound come from behind the door.  

 

After long moments, some frantic squealing can faintly be heard from behind the door, followed by a faint "buggrit" from the floor behind her.

 

Slowly, the double doors in front of her open, pushed by a ferret in extasy, and about three feet of murky water with gnome and faerie-bits diluting into the room.   Snowy spills into the room as the water fills the room to a depth of about three inches.  Everyone else is visible behind Snowy, particulary Keelug, who appears to be trying to hide under his cookpot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[Turn 6]

 

"How nice to see you!"  Rini exclaims.  "Oh my, those are bits of me, aren't they.  Well, such is death.  I was just saying we ought to get down and see about finding you.  Wouldn't want to miss all the fun!"  She gives one more tug on her right chain, whispering to it "You'd ought to let go, or I know Havilan will chop at you.  I'd rather you didn't get chopped."

 

"Those are some....interesting pictures." Reekik visibly winces at the  pictures and then flinches at the chains. She moves very carefully towards  the sarcouphagus and watches the chains for any attempts to lash out.

 

"Oh, yes, very interesting," bubbles Rini.  "I think that must be the fellow whose tomb this is.  Anyway, I don't remember any killer bees."  Rini sighs at her chains.  "All right, have it your way.  Havilan, would you mind chopping these things off?  I think it might be easiest to hit the ends holding onto the stone, or maybe the stone itself."  To Reekik she says, "My stuff is inside, we can get it out after."

 

"Och, aye lassie, that I kin do for ye.  Eh, hold on a tic, would ye?"   Havilan turns slightly, cocks his head to the side, raps firmly on his  temple with the hilt of his dagger, and shakes his head, mustache-ends  flapping wildly.  "Ah, much better.  It's getting harder and harder  these days, I don't know.  Ah, me.  Now, about those chains."  Havilan  hitches up his borrowed loincloth and swaggers over to the  sarcophagus.  "Don't want to let go, eh boys?  We'll see about that.  I  can be very convincing if I need to be."  The dagger's edge, undulled  by its recent fall, catches the dim light (*ting!*) as it sweeps down,  (hopefully) severing the chain cleanly near the sarcophagus end (as  Rini seems to find having the chains handy.)  "Now, what are we to do  about this room?  It seems rather unpleasant, dunnit?  Here, is this  me?  With the mustache and all?  Och, I look a right wee poofter, an'  ye kin bank on't."  Havilan pauses to give himself another smack on the  head.  "Bloody ####, let's get out of here before I go stark raving  bonkers.  Bloody bloody bugger-all gnomes."

 

As the dagger sweeps down on each chain in turn, the chain suddenly realizes that This Isn't A Joke, and leaps wildly away from the sarcophagus.  Each coiling spastically around its respective faerie-wrist, they huddle there quivering like a kicked dog.

 

"Ah, thank you, Havilan!"  She holds her wrists up to her face.  "See, I told you.  Now you will have to be extra good to get any pretties later."  The little faery flits up and looks down upon the sarcophagus.  "Hmm hmm hmm.  Well I suggest we get my pouches out and head down to find some real treasures!"  She examines the top to see if there are any latches or Spring Loaded Surprise Buttons to get it open.  If not, she says "Would one of you strong people help get the cover off?"

 

Snowy, wide-eyed innocent in the body of a voracious if cutesy predator, is overjoyed to see the shiny fairy-person alive... again? And confused to hear what would appear to be Havilan, channeling his restless spirit through some sort of gnome gnecromancer. In short, she's delighted to see her companions again, particularly the fairy, because she's nice, and also sparkly and stuff. She starts to investigate the room they are now in, although the torture-statue might be a little distressing for the poor dear.

 

Ooo! This stucco comes off the walls if you hit it hard enough!  And there's some kind of wall behind it, too!  What else could be back there?

 

Having tested the walls, and broken off a bit of now-stashed stucco in the process, she takes her bag between her teeth (it tastes faintly of gnome-and-fairy meat salad) and, salivating slightly, does her "Make Strong" dance. Popping the ferret-fetish back into the neck of the bag, which she then replaces between her formidably sharp teeth, she attempts to open the next door on her path to shiny object joy.

 

As the lid pops up and open, there is an ominous "CLICK".  Snowy makes an "Oo!" face, just before a 2' blade scythes out from the seam between sarcophagus and lid.  The blade sweeps from the right side around to the left in an eyeblink, and disappears inside the sarcophagus again with a "CLICK."

 

The lid drops shut again, and a faint dusting of ferret-fur drifts through the air, and lands on Snowy, who, having just barely managed to duck, cowers in the water in front of the pedestal.  The hair on her head is noticeably shorter now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[Turn 7]

 

"Goodness!"  Rini closes her eyes, opening them to see fur flying everywhere.  "Oh dear."  

 

Then she sees Snowy still alive and flits over, giving the ferret a big hug.  "You're alive!  Hooray!"  Snowy wriggles happily in the hug, as children and animals do.

 

"Bloody ####," says Havilan, his mind apparently not yet up to a proper curse.  "Bugger this."  With that, he limps to the sarcophagus (having cut his foot slightly on the ferret-induced fallen stucco and not yet possessed of proper footwear) and, flourishing his dagger appropriately (always careful to keep the most impressive angle aimed at the largest audience grouping) attempts to slice open the lid directly, bypassing any more annoying and inconvenient traps.  

 

The dagger slices through the steam between lid and sarcophagus with a tortured scream of metal on stone.  About halfway through, there is a SPROING, the very large lid, a sword-blade, and shards of very sharp metal spring fly through the air.

 

Needless to say, everyone hits the rather sodden deck.  Havilan quite luckily misses the full impact of the lid, which splashes down right next to where he was standing.  Keelug, safely hidden behind Reekik, is missed entirely.  So is Rini.  Snowy catches the sword blade with her arm as it falls, which hurts a lot, and prompts her to ponder maybe changing her name to Carmine.  She falls down with a string of ferret-expletives, indistinguishable  for most from an ear-splittting squeal.  Reekik takes a flying spring right in the chest, and is thrown back into the doorway, bleeding a lot, and currently underwater.

 

Inside the sarcophagus are Rini's possessions, as well as something Havilan's Aunt gave him, but he can't remember what it's supposed to be.  Havilan picks up the Mysterious Unspecified Object listlessly.

 

Havilan turns and makes a very rude gesture at the nearest depiction of Evinrood.  "Sod you, you bloody maniac.  May the Mighty Purple Pimp and his legion of l33t Pimp Ninja Hos find your soul and feed it to the Disco Karoake Machine of the Eighty-Seventh ####."  

 

The roundel abruptly changes to show Havilan being beaten senseless and his dagger melted down by a bunch of dwarven punks with strange spiky hair.

 

Havilan pauses, swaying slightly as the self-inflicted blows to the head take their toll.  "And bugger all gnomes."  He then wanders off vaguely and purposelessly towards a nearby wall, a lost and tortured soul.  As he does so, he notices what might possibly be part of the outline of a door, exposed by Snowy's stucco-flaking.

 

"Here, there's a door in this wall.  Fancy that, an actual door in this bloody place.  Behind the wall, of course, otherwise it'd make no sense, would it?  Someone better go see if the Nathi bird is dead or not, I suppose, not that it seems to make much difference in here.  Och."  Havilan prods at the door suspiciously with the point of his dagger.  A little more stucco flakes off, exposing a little more of the door.

 

"Bah.  Any time a little plaster and lath can stand up to my edge, I'll eat my hat.  Or someone's hat, anyway.  Maybe have to make a hat first.  A nice warm fur one."  Havilan's body is becoming visibly goose-pimpled, and the frog-scented loincloth is not doing much to keep this piece of information from being more or less public knowledge.  "Yeah, a nice warm fur coat too. Hrm."  Havilan continues his steady stripping of the wall o' stucco, but shoots a sidelong glance at the large, furry ferret poinging around the other side of the room.  "Hey, this door looks like it might be able to be opened, but it's pretty well hidden.  There must be something *really* shiny on the other side, for them to hide it like that.  Yes, hidden and shiny."  He appears to be talking to himself, but his voice is unnecessarily loud and certain words are a bit overemphasized.  

 

Havilan's downright sneaky attempt at manipulating a dear, innocent, fluffy  animal is wasted for the present moment, while she attempts to  Fixy-Uppy-Thingy her arm. After all, even the desirability of shiny objects  is less than the desirability of /not/ leaking meat-juice everywhere. In  spite of this very correct priority, her eyes do linger on the door (blurry  with distance, shock, water, and blood) darting occasionally to glare  suspiciously at (what is probably) Havilan. She keeps the subdued, groggy  spell-dance (little more than a gentle swaying) going and moves to help  others with their injuries.

 

What a noble ferret. And to think Havilan is trying to take advantage of  her! For shame!  At any rate, Snowy's mostly healed, and she can't help Reekik till Reekik gives some sign that she's alive under the water there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[Turn 8]

 

Havilan's stucco-stripping (and, as he pulls off a particularly large chunk, stucco-ducking) eventually reveals a large door, located on the right-hand wall, as one stands in the door and looks at the sarcophagus.  It's a normal-sized door for a human, but instead of a door, there are three little holes, each about half an inch wide, all in a little row where the doorhandle should be.

 

Rini grabs her stuff and then asks  "Oh, the ...Nathi, is that the girl with the red eyes?  She's still out there?"  Rini flits to peer out the door the others came in.  "Hello?"  If she sees Reekik, she pokes at her.  "Nathi, are you dead?"  Not getting any response, she shrugs and begins to glow slightly more blue-white than yellow, and a bit more intensely.

 

As Rini glows, and Reekik starts to twitch, the little faery lies on the floor, rolls over and then slowly stands up.  Holding her arms in front of her, she walks somewhat stiffly into the room, a fair distance in fact.  When Reekik is in the room, she sits down carefully and then drops the spell.

 

Reekik is now sitting on the pedestal, propped up against the sarcophagus, looking bewildered.

 

She's bleeding quite badly from a large cut in her chest, which has since been muddied by frog-water.

 

Rini stays sitting, her glow a little less than normal and her wings drooping slightly on the edges.  "Whew."  She sits for a minute or two before heading over to see what Havilan is looking at.  "Oh, I think stuff must shoot out of those holes, don't you?"  Just in case, she stays away from them.

 

"Yes, yes." sputters Havilan.  "Or jab out.  Or possibly, just possibly, spew out.  Here, is the Nathi lady dead or isn't she?  We really don't have time to muck about with zombies at the moment.  I've almost got this one clear.  I'd expect there are two others on the other walls, so I'll go and have a look at them, shall I?  In fact . . . "  Havilan holds up his arm as high as he can (which, for a gnome, isn't very high.  Maybe mid-armpit height on a person.) and, inserting the dagger blade into the stucco as far as he can, proceeds to walk swiftly around the rest of the room, hopefully separating the bottom four feet or so of the stucco from the wall.  If necessary, he stops periodically to clear some out.

 

Havilan's efforts reveal, in addition to the doors on the right (double doors, 5' wide by 10' tall each, three-holes in place of the doorknob), another set of double 5x10 doors with the three-hole doorknobs, on the left-hand wall, and a set of double 10x10 doors (same three-hole doorknob) behind the sarcophagus.

 

Reekik, by the way, is still alive, but doing badly.  She confirms this by speaking. *sputtersputterbleedbleed* "Ow, did anyone get the number of that frigate?  Ow, that's gonna hurt. I hate bleeding everywhere. It gets so messy."

 

Reekik carries on like this in a half aware fashion while she fishes in her  bag for anything that might help her.  She pulls out a force-knife.  It's really a very nice one too, with a bonemetal handle, with crystal tracery through the handle, and a very complicated and delicate crystal assembly at the hilt. as well as a retractible bonemetal and crystal rod.  When extended, it looks like the frame for a coping-saw, or maybe a cheese-slicer arranged like a coping saw.  It's not a lot of help in the current medical crisis, however.

 

"How nice," says Reekik and promptly passes out from bloodloss.

 

Snowy agrees enthusiastically that yes, it is a /lovely/ whatever-it-is, and  shiny too, before realising with a start that Reekik has passed out. She  rummages in her own bag, pulling out her needle-and-thread. She quickly  applies pressure to the wound, an instictive attempt to stop the  distressingly rapid flow of blood, while she grips the needle in her teeth  and begins to chant and dance, a subdued, splashy stamping-dance that  requires only her hunndfeet to move much.

 

The chant seems to consist largely of words rhyming with "mmff", and might  be called Fixy-Uppy-Thingy, or maybe Mixxy Muffy Fimmy...  The spell is succesful, though they've been taking longer and longer to complete as Snowy gets tired.  Reekik regains consciousness, and her wound softens to an angry red painful scar.

 

Rini rests while Havilan cuts the stucco off.  When Reekik speaks, she says, "Oh good, you're not dead."  Pause.  "That was hard."  The droop in her wings doesn't leave entirely, but she flies over to one of the doors, picking one that has holes which aren't opposite anyone in the room.  She fishes in her pouch,pondering a bit, eventually pulls out her knife, and waves it in front of the holes (keeping out of the way herself).  

 

Nothing happens.

 

Rini looks through one of the holes on the left-hand door.  It looks very dark.  There could be a mechanism in there, possibly, or a catch she could trigger with something.

 

"Hmmmm."  Immediately distracted from being tired, she hunts around the room for possibly a piece of metal from the trap which broke into a small enough piece to poke into the hole.

 

She finds a shard about five inches long and half an inch across, which is very jagged and sharp.  sticking it into the left hole, there is a SNAP, and the shard is wrenched from her hand, as what looks like a blade inside the hole snaps down on it.

 

With some effort, Rini pulls the shard out, and sticks it in the center hole.  There is a "click", and the door opens.

 

Behind the doors are a set of stairs, 50 feet long, descending 50 feet, to an identical set of doors.  There is no landing; the stairs end flush with the doors at both top and bottom.

 

Here's a pic to show where you are.  You came in at the top, you're in Room 3, and Rini just opened Door 4.

Turn8.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[Turn 9, Keelug, Snowy, Reekik]

 

"Ooo!  Should we see where the others go, or should we go this way?"  Rini peers for a second down the stairs and then flits off to the door across from the one she opened with her Trusty Piece of Metal (or a new one, if need be).

 

"From what I've seen of this place, it probably doesn't matter where we try to go, we'll all end up as bits of kibble anyway.  Let's just push on." Havilan suits actions to words, shouldering past the fairy and stomping down the staircase.  "Maybe there'll be a winter wardrobe on the other side."

 

On the first stomp on the stairs, all the steps rotate downward 45 degrees, to form a reasonably smooth slide, which Havilan, despite his best efforts to avoid, starts to slide down fairly rapidly.

 

It'll take him a few seconds to get halfway, for example.

 

The already tired and emotional Snowy bursts into ferret-tears. "Havilan!  Nooooooo!" she squeaks. Peering down the schute from a safe distance, of  course, she murmurs "I'm sure he MEANT to be nice. He's just forgotten  how...." Dejected, and with her magic running very low indeed, she crawls  inside her bag to rest. (It's amazing where ferrets will fit. There are  advantages to being a ferret. It's not all dire.)

 

Keelug makes his way over to Reekik and receives the descending apparatus (a.k.a. Pot-onna-rope), which has yet to be disabled.  He then carefully, so as not to hit Havilan on the head, tosses the pot end down for Havilan.

 

The pot lands precisely next to Havilan, in the perfect place to grab it.

 

This is just as something Havilan slides over makes a -CLICK-, and a grinding roar fills the stairway, seeming to come from the right-hand wall just down from where Havilan is at the moment.

 

"Bugger all."  As he skids rapidly down the shaft, Havilan explodes into motion, attempting to simultaneously grab the pot with his free hand while slamming his dagger into the stairs/slide with the other.  Hopefully one of the two contrivances will stop or at least slow his descent.

 

With a SKREEEEEEEEEEECH, the dagger tears into the stone below, enough to allow Havilan to grab the pit with his fingertips.  Just as his fingers close around it, the noise behind the stucco erupts outwards in a spray of chips with a BROOOOOOOARRRR!  A gigantic spinning saw-blade bursts out from behind the stucco at a height of about a foot and a half off the ground, the leading edge not five inches behind Havilan's head.

 

The shock and startlement is enough to make even the best jump in surprise, and Havilan is no exception.  Unfortunately, his startled jump carries him into the path of the blade, and his gnomish body disappears in a fine red mist, while the dagger skitters down to the bottom of the slide.

 

It's at this point that two figures appear in the doorway from the entrance shaft.  One is tall, stocky, and very drak, as though his very skin is black.  Reekik in particular can tell that he is a Nathi, and so can anyone else who looks, as his irises are glowing bright red.  He's carrying a pack, and wearong strange black glovelinke things on his hands.  The other is a woman, tall, leggy, red-haired, and coiling a rather substantial length of rope and stowing it in her pack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[Turn 9 - Thorolf and Kerani, new characters]

 

It is after a long and arduous journey from well...a long, arduous journey, that All our heroes arrive on a grim dark moor, overlooking the bay of...well, that's not important, and they don't remember the name anyway.  Anyway, on the grim dark moor, as the fog closes in around you and the seabirds wheel overhead, their high forlorn cries speculating about lunch, Thorolf (Nathi, male, black skinned, a thrill-seeker, by all accounts) and Kerani (Female, tall, redhead, tall, legs, and red-headed) our heroes find themselves gathered around a hole in the ground.

 

Set almost flush with the ground is a collar ring of strangely unweathered granite, spanning a good ten feet in diameter.  This appears to be the top of a very very deep hole.

 

With little discussion, and even less thought, Thorolf lowers himself down into the hole, his irises glowing bright red as he grips the stone with gloves and boots.

 

With careful and convoluted methodology, Thorolf sets a piton in the wall some 50 feet down, and carefully Kerani lowers herself down to that point.  Thorolf descends spiderlike another 50 feet, sets a piton, and lowers Kerani again.  Four times they repeat this process, descending some 200 feet.  Here, they pass a section of water-stains on the walls, at the same level as a pair of graven stone doors, each five feet wide and ten tall, set into the wall of the shaft.  All attempts to open these doors are fruitless, and the pit yawns beneath them.

 

someone, somewhere, says "buggerit."  Then silence returns.

 

From below, a scream echoes up past them, distorted by the echoes beyond all recognizeability.  Thorolf and Kerani are left with no choice but to descend, and after another 70 feet, they arrive in a pile of rubble, ankle-deep in bloody, muddy water, before another pair of doors, five feet wide and ten feet tall, this time, open.

 

Passing through these doors,  the first thing they see when they enter the room is a wall, unevently stripped of stucco, now sodden in the water.  The room is about 30 feet wide by 40 feet across, with a raised pedestal about six feet from the far wall.  The walls are unbroken stucco otherwise.  The pedestal holds an ornately carved coffin.  To the left are doors like the ones through which they entered, solidly closed.  There is a little faery hovering by this door, examining three holes set into the door at about doorknob level.

 

Behind the coffin are two huge 10' by 10' doors, both closed.  To the right are 5' by 10' doors, open.  Gathered around this door are a number of people, who will be described in a moment.

 

Above the coffin is a roundel, carved from stucco as well.  On it are carved many pictures of whoever happens to be looking at the time, getting mashed with rocks, stung to death by killer bees, eaten by sharks, sawn up, shot from a tube, and several other things that probably aren't medical procedures.

 

Suddenly, there is a BROOOOOOAARRRRR! from the right-hand door, and an unpleasant squishy sound as a background noise.  Those watching the door give a bit of a gasp.

 

The murky, durty water has now throughout the entire room, to a depth of about three inches.

 

The room radiates a low-intensity background magic, sort of like a radio being played at just less than audible in the next room.

 

As Thorolf steps in, looking, and Kerani coils the rope and stows it in her pack, they see the rest of the inhabitants.  There is what looks like the hind end of a very large ferret sticking out of a small bag, over in the corner, a sort of frog-man with a rope, which he is holding down through the doors, and a small, pretty Nathi woman looking on, who seems to have seen a lot of hurt recently, if her slashed and tattered clothing and visible chest scars are any indication.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[Turn 9 - Havilan]

 

"Ooo!  Should we see where the others go, or should we go this way?"  Rini peers for a second down the stairs and then flits off to the door across from the one she opened with her Trusty Piece of Metal (or a new one, if need be).

 

"From what I've seen of this place, it probably doesn't matter where we try to go, we'll all end up as bits of kibble anyway.  Let's just push on." Havilan suits actions to words, shouldering past the fairy and stomping down the staircase.  "Maybe there'll be a winter wardrobe on the other side."

 

On the first stomp on the stairs, all the steps rotate downward 45 degrees, to form a reasonably smooth slide, which Havilan, despite his best efforts to avoid, starts to slide down fairly rapidly.

 

It'll take him a few seconds to get halfway, for example.

 

The already tired and emotional Snowy bursts into ferret-tears. "Havilan!  Nooooooo!" she squeaks. Peering down the schute from a safe distance, of  course, she murmurs "I'm sure he MEANT to be nice. He's just forgotten  how...." Dejected, and with her magic running very low indeed, she crawls  inside her bag to rest. (It's amazing where ferrets will fit. There are  advantages to being a ferret. It's not all dire.)

 

Keelug makes his way over to Reekik and receives the descending apparatus (a.k.a. Pot-onna-rope), which has yet to be disabled.  He then carefully, so as not to hit Havilan on the head, tosses the pot end down for Havilan.

 

The pot lands precisely next to Havilan, in the perfect place to grab it.

 

This is just as something Havilan slides over makes a -CLICK-, and a grinding roar fills the stairway, seeming to come from the right-hand wall just down from where Havilan is at the moment.

 

"Bugger all."  As he skids rapidly down the shaft, Havilan explodes into motion, attempting to simultaneously grab the pot with his free hand while slamming his dagger into the stairs/slide with the other.  Hopefully one of the two contrivances will stop or at least slow his descent.

 

With a SKREEEEEEEEEEECH, the dagger tears into the stone below, enough to allow Havilan to grab the pit with his fingertips.  Just as his fingers close around it, the noise behind the stucco erupts outwards in a spray of chips with a BROOOOOOOARRRR!  A gigantic spinning saw-blade bursts out from behind the stucco at a height of about a foot and a half off the ground, the leading edge not five inches behind Havilan's head.

 

The shock and startlement is enough to make even the best jump in surprise, and Havilan is no exception.  Unfortunately, his startled jump carries him into the path of the blade, and his gnomish body disappears in a fine red mist, while the dagger skitters down to the bottom of the slide.

 

It is very dark for a long long time.  The mist before Havilan's eyes clears for a moment, and he sees a gmome with a reflector on his hat, peering very intently into his eyes from about an inch away.  The shock sends him back unconscious, as someone says "buggerit" nearby.

 

He wakes up, and after a moment of disorientation, realizes that the roaring in his ears is actually the roaring of the saw-blade that rid him of his former host.  Upon further examination, he discovers that he is in the chamber that held the saw and its mechanisms before it was triggered.  Through cracked and broken stucco, he can see outside to the stairwell-become-slide, with the sturdy arm and whirring gears of the saw roaring next to him.

 

He stands up, and on even further investigation, finds that he is in the body of a 76 year-old grandmother named Victoria, wearing a ratty black dress.  A folded-up walker reclines against a nearby wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[Turn 10 - Everyone but Havilan]

 

There is movement from within a stained and wettish sack on the floor. An  oversize ferret-head sticks out, conspicuously missing some head-fur,  suggestive of a near miss with some manner of deadly bladed implement of  ferret-maiming.

 

"Oh! Look! More people to help us find stuff!"

 

Rini looks up from peering into the holes in the door opposite the one Havilan just fell into.  "Oo!  I'm 'Rini!"  Pretty soon a small golden-colored faery is flitting about them.  It's hard to tell how many wings she has, because they move so fast, but they are irridescent.  "Hey, you look just like Nathi!  Red eyes and all, are you related?"  She directs this last question to the new Nathi and Reekik.

 

The ferret is briefly downcast: "Poor Havilan. He keeps finding stuff, and  it keeps doing nasty things to him, and then he comes back as something  different, and something nasty happens to him again."

 

She looks at the fine red mist drifting from the erstwhile staircase.

 

"This will be him, now. New people meet Havilan," she indicates with a  forepaw. "Havilan, new people."

 

The little faery sighs.  "I should have told him not to go down before we looked for traps."

 

Sadness dimmed by her innate cheerfulness, optimism, and total lack of a  concentration-span, Snowy stands on hindlegs to introduce herself.

 

"I'm Snowy. I, I used to be a ferret, and my master a sorcerer, but now he  is dead AND I AM THE MASTER NOW!" She draws her sorcerous power about her like a cape, and it would probably  look very impressive indeed, if she weren't so, so..... cutesie.

 

Rini giggles and gives the ferret another hug.  "You're wonderful, Snowy!"  Then distracted again by the fine mist she says, "Be right back, I'll go see about finding Havilan."  Then she carefully flits down the stairway, being sure not to touch anything.  She stops shy of the whirly-choppy-thing.  

 

Rini flies well above the saw blade (there's about a foot and a half below it, and like 9 feet above it), and investigates the bottom of the ramp.  Since the water from the top room, with the accompanying stucco sludge, faery parts, blood, and rather more gnome parts than faery parts, is all flowing down, whatever's down there is under two feet of water by now.

 

The walls of the staircase/slide, by the way, are covered with rather fetching stucco bas-reliefs of a portly balding gentleman in wizards robes, enjoying a pleasant summer day in a garden full of daisies and cute bunny rabbits, except where splattered with bits of Havilan, and of course, where the saw punched through.

 

The doors at the bottom of the slide, by the way, are the same as the doors at the top: double, each five feet wide by ten feet tall, both with three finger-sized holes in a little line where the doorknob should be.

 

The newcomer woman, whose name turns out to be Kerani, is a tall very attractive human female with long red hair  She moves with a natural grace, reminiscent of a predator. She is wearing a form fitting brown leather outfit that does nothing to hide the fact she is female. She has a backpack on her back and two daggers are strapped to her legs.

 

The newcomer Nathi, whose name turns out to be Thorolf, slowly scans the room.  His fiery red eyes burn deep within the black skin of his eye sockets.  His face is black as ebony and shiny like polished marble as is his long black hair that lies in a queue to his waist. He stands 5'9" tall and has broad muscular shoulders.  He wears a vest of boiled leather, covered in scrollwork and dyed a deep brown.  A pack rest on his back, on the pack a sheath for a small axe.

 

Kerani looks over at Thorolf  "Looks like there are some others at this party."

 

He looks sideways at Kerani and his eyes narrow as he nods assent.  His eyes wander first to the balding weasel. Sensing no hostility, he studies the red mist before turning his attention to the faerie flitting around him.

 

"Did you say traps?"  His eye twinkles and a smile forms on his face.  "I might be able to help you with that..."  He heads over to the open doors the faerie passed through a moment before.  His mouth widens in a smile.  He peers through the doorway, scanning for any triggers.  Since the slide is way too slippery to navigate, he places his hands on the stucco wall.  Eyes glowing, he picks his way, spiderlike across the stucco, carefully placing his toes and hands on the wall before moving further.

 

"Ooo, be careful the walls may have...traps..." Rini winces in expectation of a big blade and/or other Deadly Implement killing off her or the new guy.

 

Kerani shakes her head and moves over to the passage. "Yell if you need anything...like the rope I still am holding."

 

Thorolf scans the slide for any sign of a trigger.  Finding none, he decides going through the hole in the wall the blade created might help him understand the trap better.

 

He returns to the main room, slips out of pack and armor, takes staff in hand and climbs back to the hole, again on the walls.

 

As he hangs above the hole in the wall through which the blade came through, he turns and yells up the slide/stair.  "Kerani, could you come here please I may need your help?"

 

"On my way!" Kerani says as she loops her rope around the sarcophagus, and rappells down the slippery ramp with the rope to where Thorolf is.  With her assistance, Thorolf is able to clamber through the hole.

 

However, the effort needed for this means that Kerani stumbles, and her feet slip out from underneath her.  Still holding onto the rope, she sprawls facedown onto the slide, under the spinning blade, up to her shoulder blades.  Miraculously, she is not hurt, but she has about half an inch clearance between herself and the blade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[Turn 10 - Havilan]

 

After a few moments, he hears a male voice call "Kerani, could you come here please I may need your help?"

 

If there is an answer, it is not forthcoming.  Havilan moves slowly and arthritically to the hole, just as a large person comes through and lands on him.  Um.  her.  Lands on her.  Whatever.

 

"Mercy me!  And probably lawks!" is Havilan's contribution to the matter, in an old woman voice but with Havilan's normal cultured tones.  "Gerroff, ye great lump.  I'm not half squished down here.  Honestly, some people."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, this is gonna be a long one.

 

[Turn 11 - Reekik, Kee'g, Snowy, Kerani]

Kerani looks down at the water below and decides that is NOT the direction she wants to go. "If someone doesn't mind could you please pull the rope up slowly? I really don't fancy a bath at the moment and being cut in half doesn't exactly rank very high either on my list of things I would like to do today."

 

From inside the hole, Thorolf yells "I'm OK!  I'm Alright!"

 

"That's very nice to know. But I am close to becoming a Shish kebab out here!" Kerani says as she begins to wonder if she can pull herself up the rope...if she moves slowly...

 

"I'm sure you'll be splattered across the ceiling, eaten by sharks or mutilated by killer bees at some point today," Rini comments cheerfully.  "Don't worry.  I'm sure Snowy will help, she's very helpful,"  adds the faery.

 

Assuming that someone Strong will pull Kerani up, the faery flits over to where Thorolf is, and peers into the hole.  "Ummm... need any help?  Or light?"

 

In response to Kerani's plea, Keelug drops his rope at his feet and grasps her rope.  He pulls her up, slowly, as instructed.  Then, he gives her these words of wisdom.  "Don't move down here, or you will die.  Unless standing still kills you, in which case you should move.  But move quickly, to somewhere where you can stand still.  But that, too, might kill you."

 

Kerani give Keelug a confused look. "Thanks. And thanks for the information. It was as clear as mud. You guys cause all the mess out there?" And she nods her head toward the room were all the water was at.

 

Snowy nods rapidly at Keelug's words of wisdom. "It helps if you have a cooking pot," She helpfully adds.

 

From below can be almost heard the exasperated cry: "By Oregrim's Gilded Sandals, the gnomes will PAY!"  The cry could almost be Havilan, if Havilan were, say, a 76 year-old grandmother.  Then, the saw makes a SNAP, and a severed drivebelt whips out, around, and back into the chamber.  Rini, looking in, is not fast enough to avoid it, and as the saw starts to sag on its frame, four little red-stained wings float gently down, amidst the sparks and stone chips that the saw throws up from the floor of the slide.

 

With a tortured squeal, the saw slows, and finally stops.  Four little wings drift gently down, coming to rest on the still, round blade.

 

 

[Turn 11 - Havilan (and Thorolf)]

The newcomer (a large stocky Nathi with black skin) scrambles to his feet, disentangling himself from the old woman Havilan.  He brushes himself off, and then bends down to help her up, stepping between her and the walker.  He glances around quickly trying to take in his surroundings.

 

"I'm OK!  I'm Alright!"  He yells loudly.  To the old woman "Who are you?!"

 

From outside comes a female voice, "If someone doesn't mind could you please pull the rope up slowly? I really don't fancy a bath at the moment and being cut in half doesn't exactly rank very high either on my list of things I would like to do today."

 

The old woman glares at the newcomer with uncommon belligerence.  She clutches an extremely gaudy bejeweled in one hand.  Despite the almost ludicrous ornamentation, its edge looks like it could redefine the whole concept of 'sharp.'  The numerous gems also appear to be glowing slightly.

 

"Who the bloody #### are you to be asking me who I am?  Are you another gnome.  Oh, dearie me, I've just remembered that it's little Jonathan's fourth birthday tomorrow and I haven't bought him a thing."  Havilan pauses for a moment as his mind processes what just came out of his mouth.  He glances down at himself.  "Bloody hellfire and damnation.  The gnomes will pay for this one!"  With that, he spins angrily around to face the door again, and squawks in sudden anger as his host's elderly hips fail to perform to his expectations and crumple under him.  "By Oregrim's Gilded Sandals, the gnomes will PAY!"  He struggles back to his feet and snatches up his walker, holding it awkwardly as he has never used one before, and also refuses to relinquish his death-grip on his dagger.

 

The arm supporting the saw, by the way, extends through the 10' room, and looks like it could be made to retract, given the right mechanical proddings wherever it's controlled.  The arm disappears into the far wall.  it looks like this room was made to house the blade and nothing really else.  There appears to be a belt of some sort within the arm mechanism that's driving the blade.

 

"Ummm... need any help?  Or light?" asks Rini, appearing, glowing, looking in through the hole.

 

"This bloody can opener has ruined enough of my day.  Shut up, you!" Havilan lashes out angrily, severing the belt with his dagger.  It parts with an easy SNAP, as does some of the frame that Havilan hit in his zealotry.  The severed ends of the (very thick and heavy) belt whip around the room, lashing into Havilan, then then the Nathi.  It catches Havilan in the side of the head, turning the old-womanly head into so much pink spraying goo.

 

Everything goes black.  Briefly, Havilan comes to, as a gnome, holding a pair of tongs.  It appears that someone was not quite careful enough handling the dagger, and actually touched it.

 

Havilan has about enough time to register a long low corridor, with very little ilumination, except for a glow and the impression of bars in the side of the corridor behind him.  Then, there is the sensation of intense heat, and he blacks out again.

 

When he comes to yet again, it is dark.  From the feel of things, he's in a fairly large room, and he's pretty sure he's on some fairly fine sand.  It also seems that he is on all fours, his neck is a bit longer than normal, and he might possibly have a tail.  Oh, and a weird feeling that he's got an extra set of arms or something, but they're on his back.

 

 

[Turn 11 - Rini]

Kerani looks down at the water below and decides that is NOT the direction she wants to go. "If someone doesn't mind could you please pull the rope up slowly? I really don't fancy a bath at the moment and being cut in half doesn't exactly rank very high either on my list of things I would like to do today."

 

From inside the hole, Thorolf yells "I'm OK!  I'm Alright!"

 

"That's very nice to know. But I am close to becoming a Shish kebab out here!" Kerani says as she begins to wonder if she can pull herself up the rope...if she moves slowly...

 

"I'm sure you'll be splattered across the ceiling, eaten by sharks or mutilated by killer bees at some point today," Rini comments cheerfully.  "Don't worry.  I'm sure Snowy will help, she's very helpful,"  adds the faery.

 

Assuming that someone Strong will pull Kerani up, the faery flits over to where Thorolf is.  As she descends to the hole, she hears: "Who the bloody #### are you to be asking me who I am?  Are you another gnome.  Oh, dearie me, I've just remembered that it's little Jonathan's fourth birthday tomorrow and I haven't bought him a thing."  

 

Peering in, she sees a chamber that's about ten feet wide, five feet tall, and contains some arm mechanism for the saw.  She also sees an old woman in a tattered black dress, holding Havilan's dagger, being supported by Thorolf.  A small walker reclines, folded up, against a nearby wall.  The woman glances down at himself.  "Bloody hellfire and damnation.  The gnomes will pay for this one!"  This is Havilan's voice, but as an old old woman.

 

"Ummm... need any help?  Or light?"  Neither seems to take notice.

 

Behind her, someone pulls Kerani to safety.  

 

Havilan spins angrily around to face the door again, and squawks in sudden anger as his host's elderly hips fail to perform to his expectations and crumple under him.  "By Oregrim's Gilded Sandals, the gnomes will PAY!"  He struggles back to his feet and snatches up his walker, holding it awkwardly as he has never used one before, and also refuses to relinquish his death-grip on his dagger.  "This bloody can opener has ruined enough of my day.  Shut up, you!" Havilan lashes out angrily, severing the belt with his dagger.  It parts with an easy SNAP, as does some of the frame that Havilan hit in his zealotry.  The severed ends of the (very thick and heavy) belt whip around the room, lashing into Havilan, then then the Nathi.  It catches Havilan in the side of the head, turning the old-womanly head into so much pink spraying goo.

 

This, plus the impression of something coming at her very very fast, is all Rini remembers before a sudden, brief, but very intense pain, and everything goes black.

 

After what feels like a long time, a very long time, she hears, on the edge of her consciousness, "Oi told ye, the design be faultie!  There's noo way..." and then she drifts back into blackness again.

 

When she comes to, she finds herself with her arms held up over her head by the ever-helpful manacles of hers, and a wooden post to her back.  It feels like she's in a large room, but it's very dark.  The ground under her bare feet seems to be very fine sand.  Once again, her clothes feel like they've been cleaned and pressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[Turn 12]

 

Reekik squeaks when Rini is splitched but recovers rather quickly and continues to carefully pick her way to the other Nathi.

 

After some trepidation, Reekik lowers herself down the slide via the rope.  She makes it to the deactivated saw with no injury.  She finds Thorolf conveniently (simply to reduce the number of e-mails I'm tracking) next to the hole, on the other side of a small wall of stucco, which collapses as she touches it.

 

Looks like the chamber that held the saw is about ten feet across, ten feet deep, and five feet tall.  Thorolf is bleeding a lot from the scalp, but apepars ok.  Otherwise, there's a lot of blood and gore in the room, and what might be a headless corpse, but not much else.

 

Assuming Thorolf stands still long enough Reekik begins to apply whatever  first aid she can in the situation, mostly involving putting enough bandages  on Thorolf's head that he looks like he is wearing a hat. While she is doing  this she begins to talk to him in Karanathi. "I am Reekik Telgar lately of the Nathi naval forces. Currently I am  well...here, as you are. So if I may ask you where you are from?"

 

Kerani returns to the hole to see how Reekik is doing. This involves a 25-foot descent back down to the saw blade halfway down the slide.   Once there, which is accomplished without incident, she asks, "see anything yet?"

 

Thorolf flinches but allows the Nathi who calls herself Reekik to patch him up.

 

"My name is Thorolf Bladegrinder, and it's not often I let a good looking Nathi such as yourself get so close without knowing you first."  Thorolf gives a sly smile to Reekik and then looks at what is left of the old lady.

 

"I am not sure I understand what is going on here...Is my partner, Kerani ok?"

 

Reekik seems oblivious to Thorolf's attempt at flirting. "Your partner seems  to be fine, at least as fine as any of us are here. For instance she is  better off than what I assume was Havilan." She vaguely gestures at the dead  woman.

 

"If Havilan was that old woman I fell on, then yes, my partner is probably much better off."  Thorolf stands up and dusts himself off. "I was trying to figure out how to disarm this trap but it looks like it might take more time then is necessary to get past it."

 

Thorolf glances around one more time to make sure he does not see anything that might turn the trap off and then climbs back out into the slide, making sure he has a strong hand hold on the wall before putting his feet down on the ground.

 

The trap, having sagged on the frame and bitten into the slide outside, is now stopped, off, etc.  In fact, if anyone slides down the slide, the blade could possibly make a good jump, sending the slider flying into the 6' of water at the bottom.

 

Thorolfs' eyes gleam as he let's go of the wall and takes the quick way to the bottom!  Reekik covers her eyes not wanting to see the interesting way in which  Thorolf will die.

 

With a bit of a running start up the ramp, Thorolf slides down, onto the buried lip of the blade, and continues up over the raised far edge.  With a RRRIIIP as the seat of his trousers catches on oen of the sawteeth, Thorolf flies a good fifteen feet, and lands in the water below, sliding down the slide to the end.  He comes to rest at the bottom, on his back, his feet against the door, under seven feet of murky, bloody water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[Turn 12, Reekik and Havilan]

 

A foot in front of Havilan, someone sighs softly, sounding like Rini.

 

A moment later, she lights up, not a foot in front of Havilan's nose.

 

It is at this point that several things become clear.  Most obviously, Rini, her clothes clean and pressed, is chained Andromeda-style to a three-foot post stuck in the sand, her arms held above her and her chains wrapped around the top of the post.

 

Secondly, Havilan realizes that he is a dragon, about, say, eight inches tall at the shoulder, and three feet long, nose to tail.  The things on his back are probably wings, now that he thinks of it.  There's an odd taste of gnome in his mouth.

 

The room is about 30x50', and the walls are covered with stucco, depicting an awful lot of landscape under a gale-force wind.  The floor is very fine sand, and there appears to be a stack of sacks in the far corner.

 

"Och aye, dearies," rumbles Havilan, "Don't think this makes up for anything.  I'm not put off the scent so easily, no indeed."  He chuckles quietly to himself.  "Short-arse or no, at least I've got teeth and so forth.  Fire, perhaps?"  He attempts a small fireball, aimed up at the ceiling.  Whether he is successful or not, his mood remains that of cheerfully borderline homicidal.  "I wonder what's in those sacks.  Och, and me back is killin' me, aye.  Gods darn it, no it isn't!  You lot can just hush up!" he shouts to no one in particular.  He looks around nervously for his dagger.

 

"Er..." says Rini.

 

"What?  It's not like anything else around here ever made a lick of sense. Can you talk your chains off of that post this time or am I going to have to hurt them?"  Havilan continues looking for his dagger, unless it's right under his feet, in which case he locates it right about now.

 

Havilan locates his dagger in a sheath on a belt around his waist.  It is of course securely bound to the sheath, so it's not going to fall off without a lot of provocation.

 

Rini squirms to turn herself around so she's facing the post, so that her wings are available and then flies up to dragon eye-level.  "Havilan?  Is that you?  You're a DRAGON!  That's so NEAT!"

 

"Yes, yes, it's a bloody miracle.  Here, how am I supposed to pick things up with claws?  Bloody stupid design on these critters, if you ask me.  So are you coming down off the pedestal or not, eh?"  Havilan glances as well as he can at his back, flexing his wings thoughfully.

 

Rini tries to see if she can get her chains off, by flying up and seeing if they can come off easily.

 

"Well, I think I've seen pictures of dragons pinching things between their claws to pick it up, maybe that's what you need to do" she theorizes as she checks on the chains.

 

The chains, now that Mean Ol' Mister Dagger is nearby, seem less than inclined to unwrap.  In the process of investigating, Rini gets a wing tangled, and tumbles back to her original dangling position.

 

After a brief moment of incomprehensible faery cursing, Rini says.  "Humpfh, ow ow ow.  I think the answer is 'no'.  I'm starting to think these things should just come off."

 

The more disagreeable of the two chains starts to sulk, and doesn't move.  The one on her right, however, slowly and showing great repentance, sidles down the post and coils itself around her wrist, like a kicked puppy.

 

"Bugger this."  Havilan gives up trying to draw his dagger with claws and turns towards the recalcitrant chain.  "Hurry up, you, or I'll see if I can't snap a thin little chain with these teeth," he snarls, which even at 1/64 scale is pretty impressive.  Just look at Rottweilers.

 

Slowly, dignifiedly, I-Was-Going-This-Way-Anywayedly, the second chain releases Rini and coils around her wrist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×