Jump to content

2023 ReaperCon Reaper-ite Bingo Signup


Pegazus
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if there's some idea around the notion of passing out 'seeder' cards to some (say, 10) people, each of whom have specific people on their card that they need to give cards to.  You could even stack it, so that the initial group of seeders gets four cards, then passes three of them to a specific person on their card, and then that player has to pass two cards, etc...  I could see a bunch of problems with this approach, but maybe someone can riff off of this and find a better idea.

 

TBH, I was perfectly happy with bingo this year, it was one of the funnest parts of the con!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel like we are suggesting solutions in search of a problem.  Handing out the bingo cards seemed to go smoothly in most cases.  And frankly, the most effective way to make it easier might to put a sign that says "Bingo!" on the table where the cards can be found would probably do as much as any of these other ideas, with less hassle.  The sign can be lowered when @Pegazus is not there, or he can give some cards to someone else sitting at the table.  I'll even volunteer to make and bring the sign if that helps.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
3 hours ago, GoldenPiggy said:

I feel like we are suggesting solutions in search of a problem.  Handing out the bingo cards seemed to go smoothly in most cases.  And frankly, the most effective way to make it easier might to put a sign that says "Bingo!" on the table where the cards can be found would probably do as much as any of these other ideas, with less hassle.  

I'm inclined to agree.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just need to advertise better I think. Forum and Discord members should be aware of the game announcements I send out  (sorta, huh @Thes Hunter).

 

But considering how many people continue to ask when registration opens and other things that should be well broadcast and part of FAQs doesn’t give me a lot of confidence that even if how to sign up for bingo was announced in the guide, the website, and the ReaperLive broadcast that it would make an appreciable difference in people signing up. 
 

Maybe if there was a big poster explaining my game and how to play that people in the registration line would see. But that’s a potentially expensive thing and no guarantee that they’d even see it then.

 

And the number of cards handed out does continue to grow. The only hiccup I have really had is when Discord pulled so many people away from the forums that I nearly didn’t have enough people to make the cards. But including the Discord peeps has solved that and hopefully gets some cross pollination. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pegazus said:

But considering how many people continue to ask when registration opens and other things that should be well broadcast and part of FAQs doesn’t give me a lot of confidence that even if how to sign up for bingo was announced in the guide, the website, and the ReaperLive broadcast that it would make an appreciable difference in people signing up. 

Truer words have not been spoken! The number of people asking “is there a reaperLive this week?”  literally one post after someone has explained it is almost a running joke on Discord. 
 

I’m with you: even after posting, advertising, sending reminders, skywriting, certified summons and telepathic advertising there will still be people complaining “no one told me!”

 

Once again, even with 0 changes it is a super fun activity that earns a debt of gratitude from me!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing that I think might help is not so much the cards but the people on the cards - the easiest people to find were the ones who had something distinct that we could point to (red and white hat, purple dragon backpack, hat full of pins, a giant banana, red vest full of pins, colored hair, etc). I think the bowler hats were actually genius, and they made it really easy to spot people the first day, they just wouldn't stay on long enough. But I ended up giving a lot of the same description to try and find people - white male, short hair, medium build with a  beard has limited usefulness at this con. Maybe if the card people who sign up could post if they have a distinctive feature it would help find them through the week

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Goddesstio said:

One thing that I think might help is not so much the cards but the people on the cards - the easiest people to find were the ones who had something distinct that we could point to (red and white hat, purple dragon backpack, hat full of pins, a giant banana, red vest full of pins, colored hair, etc). I think the bowler hats were actually genius, and they made it really easy to spot people the first day, they just wouldn't stay on long enough. But I ended up giving a lot of the same description to try and find people - white male, short hair, medium build with a  beard has limited usefulness at this con. Maybe if the card people who sign up could post if they have a distinctive feature it would help find them through the week

As a first time ReaperCon attendee and an individual who is new to the Reaper community, I love your suggestion. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have considered getting shirts or vests. But the costs and time constraints are a bit prohibitive. 
 

Had a thought of some Pegazus or Bingo things that could shoved into someones hair but then I remembered that won’t work for the balding white guy with a goatee (hereafter called BW-doubleG).
 

Visibility is a perplexing problem. The hats this year were really just a troll on Groz. The icon on the front was an afterthought. I did buttons in the past but those were small. I’m not going to require people to buy anything ever to be a square on the card. I’m not against getting something that’s more permanent and able to be used multiple times. But handing them out and reacquiring is problematic. I continue to ponder. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most of us probably already have something; it's just a case of reminding us that, lo, we should wear/carry/display Our Nerd Plumage (I was gonna say the thing, but I know you guys .. ), and probably it'll work out. 

Those of us that don't have something have a year to figure out what to do about that, and either make or make arrangements for it. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, actually I had brought my Aldi hat as kind of an afterthought, but it was really useful.

 

And I don't mean Pegasus should get us anything - That's definitely not cost effective. But like Sylv said, plenty of us have something we could bring ourselves that would help (and some of us already do!) I'm bringing the hat back on purpose next year. Maybe we could just all list out a good distinctive thing to look for when we're on the cards next year?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...