Primer for 3D print terrain?

Chaoswolf

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve tried this without much luck. Brush on seems to be the best, but not sure you are going to get the results you are looking for. Might be better of with a sealer first, then prime and paint.

I’m curious if anyone has any tricks though!

Edited by Neatpete
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, haldir said:

3D Prime from Badger is supposed to be good at priming resin prints (why it was made).

https://www.badgerairbrush.com/3D_Prime.asp

I've never have used it, thou I just started using Stylenez from them last month & I was blown away by the quality of a brushable primer.

I can second Stynylrez. It's pretty good at filling print lines. Might need a couple coats depending on how prevalent they are but it works.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2023 at 1:03 PM, WhiteWulfe said:

I've heard really good things about Rustoleum 2x filler primer, although I don't recall exactly which one it was. 

This has also worked well for me, especially on buildings and terrain pieces.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2023 at 1:03 PM, WhiteWulfe said:

I've heard really good things about Rustoleum 2x filler primer, although I don't recall exactly which one it was. 

This is what I use on fdm terrain pieces - mostly because it is economical. It still doesn’t fill the layer lines completely, but good enough for gaming terrain.

Brushing on MinWax Polycrylic hides layer lines better, but I am too impatient for that. 

I have seen someone spraying FDM terrain  with UV Resin through an air brush to fill layer lines. I am tempted to try that as I have one bottle of resin that is inconsistent in my resin printer. 

• Like 1

Uncle Jessy has a good video on Youtube showing how he uses Bondo Spot Putty for smoothing out a 3d print of a prop.  Depending on the size and shape of your terrain, this might be a good option.

Edited by mikem91
  • Like 3