Wandering the Streets of Dunkeldorf...

GoldenPiggy

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Darcstaar said:

Solid product and paint job. What kind of feedback or constructive criticism are you looking for?

Thanks!  I'm not really looking for anything specific, just inviting critique in general.  I don't post many of the minis I paint, and I rarely show them to anyone beyond my family, none of whom really share this hobby with me (though my daughter paints minis once in a while), so any improvement I make is a result of practice and self-critique, which have their limits.

I'm actually pretty happy with how she turned out.  Also a little surprised, because I was not expecting anything special; I attribute that to it being an excellent and detailed sculpt.  This was my first time attempting to put "text" in a book on a mini, and that turned out better than expected too.

28 minutes ago, Max Retainers said:

I love the stripes on her sleeves.. Wicked!

Thanks!  I wish I could take more credit, but those stripes are sculpted into the model so I was mostly just trying to paint within the lines.  My only freehand work here is the stripe at the bottom of the skirt and the "text" in the book.  I really like how the two-tone blue worked out, though.

• Like 3

Here’s my take:

what you have done well:

1. great brush control.  Not a lot of paint seems to be errant into neighboring colors

2. the freehand writing in the book is excellent.

3. Kudos for trying to apply makeup

4. excellent basing

5. the hair is pretty good.

things that if improved would really level up:

1. Eyes.  Try painting the eye black or near black, then a stripe of white in the middle of that, leaving a thin rim of black.  Then add the black dot for the Iris/pupil.  Try to have that dot touch the upper black line, but not quite touch the lower line.

2. The color selection of the light purple to shade the white/light blue part of the dress doesn’t read well as a shadow color on this model.  Try a light blue that is lighter than the blue trim, but darker than the off-white.

3. Shading and highlights.  You may encounter this advice commonly around here.  Try adding some highlights and shadows.  Maybe on your next model try it on skin.  Then on the model after that, skin and leathery stuff.  Etc, so you can develop those skills as fast or slowly as you want or can handle.  Once you get into the habit of that, then try to push shadows deeper and highlights close to white.

Again, great work here.  Consider some of this level up advice, and let us know how it goes.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Darcstaar said:

Here’s my take:

what you have done well:

1. great brush control.  Not a lot of paint seems to be errant into neighboring colors

2. the freehand writing in the book is excellent.

3. Kudos for trying to apply makeup

4. excellent basing

5. the hair is pretty good.

things that if improved would really level up:

1. Eyes.  Try painting the eye black or near black, then a stripe of white in the middle of that, leaving a thin rim of black.  Then add the black dot for the Iris/pupil.  Try to have that dot touch the upper black line, but not quite touch the lower line.

2. The color selection of the light purple to shade the white/light blue part of the dress doesn’t read well as a shadow color on this model.  Try a light blue that is lighter than the blue trim, but darker than the off-white.

3. Shading and highlights.  You may encounter this advice commonly around here.  Try adding some highlights and shadows.  Maybe on your next model try it on skin.  Then on the model after that, skin and leathery stuff.  Etc, so you can develop those skills as fast or slowly as you want or can handle.  Once you get into the habit of that, then try to push shadows deeper and highlights close to white.

Again, great work here.  Consider some of this level up advice, and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the advice!  I've been trying to figure out eyes, but nothing I do works all that well, so I've settled into good-enough-for-tabletop eyes.  Maybe I'll revisit it, but I've redone so many eyes and it never seems to help much.  The purple in the dress is actually a red wash, which was an experiment on my part on what I initially thought would not be a great paint job anyway; I wasn't really thinking of shadows, but I probably should have.  It was one of those "I know better, but I'm going to try it anyway" moments.  Since I posted the picture I've been thinking about redoing that as proper shading; I may just mix the two colors to get in between.  Shading and highlights are definitely where I need the most work if I want to get better, and I will definitely take your advice for working on that.

Since these Dunkeldorf models are so well-sculpted and detailed, I may use them to try to improve my technique, and post more of them here.  I really appreciate the feedback!

• Like 3

I agree with the advice already given, but I'd like to add one thing:

Unless you absolutely hate her, do not spend time repainting this figure; apply the advice moving forward on the next one. If you keep fixing a figure, you'll end up with 1 beautifully painted mini and several hundred unpainted ones.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

I agree with the advice already given, but I'd like to add one thing:

Unless you absolutely hate her, do not spend time repainting this figure; apply the advice moving forward on the next one. If you keep fixing a figure, you'll end up with 1 beautifully painted mini and several hundred unpainted ones.

That is excellent advice.  The only thing I was thinking about redoing was the shadows of the dress, but even that I have since decided to leave alone, in large part because it looks much better at tabletop distance than in a close up picture.  Instead, I am moving on to the next one, or rather then next couple dozen since my painting space is littered with partially completed projects since I seem to be psychologically incapable of painting just one at a time.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, GoldenPiggy said:

....since my painting space is littered with partially completed projects since I seem to be psychologically incapable of painting just one at a time.

You're definitely not only one there. :lol:

• Like 2

Both of these are great. I love the expression on the astronomer. For the photos, until you get a good camera I would try to do them close to a good light source and make sure it's in front of the mini and I would go with a dark background. That seems to work for me. I have the Reaper Portable Photo Backdrop Light Box 01684 that I keep next to a window. I also switched from my phone camera to a nice digital camera, made a world of difference.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Poilu_1914 said:

Both of these are great. I love the expression on the astronomer. For the photos, until you get a good camera I would try to do them close to a good light source and make sure it's in front of the mini and I would go with a dark background. That seems to work for me. I have the Reaper Portable Photo Backdrop Light Box 01684 that I keep next to a window. I also switched from my phone camera to a nice digital camera, made a world of difference.

Yeah, the picture quality isn't great.  I've been thinking about digging out my old digital camera (if I can find it) or maybe just buying a new one.  The phone camera just isn't getting the job done.  I generally do try both light and dark backgrounds with most of my pictures, and see what looks better.

• Like 2