WhiteWulfe paints some mechs

Sorry, don't have any alliteration for the force, at least yet...  So far it's the 2019 Beginner Set and A Game of Armored Combat, but I'm hoping to add in a lance or three when able...  Oh yeah, totally forgot, I do also have some metal minis that will be added in over time as well (figured I'd get started on the new CGL plastics so I could teach myself edge highlighting...)

20230820_173104.thumb.jpg.bdd1fc7bb3d8eade4438f96bb67e84f0.jpg20230820_173107.thumb.jpg.85533fd9f7a9c84e3e13c77510765192.jpg

Starting off, we have the lovely and wonderful Griffon!  Originally the plan was to go with Crescent Hawks for colours, and I might stick with such, but for now I'm having fun with just blue and grey, so who knows where things will go from here...  In all honesty, I'm probably going to go with a combination of blue, medium grey, and light grey for colours, as they seem to play together well enough.

Wolverine from the Beginner Box is prepped and ready to go, while the AGoAC minis were primed earlier today, and will see prep tomorrow.

Eventually they'll see some OpFor that's based off of the Kell Hounds colours, but that's an unknown amount of time from now.  Yup, classic red vs blue - makes life reasonably easy to spot what's what on the table.

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 7

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

That looks good!

Best part is the contrast and detail is starting to come out at arm's length outside of the painting lights too, which is especially lovely!  So far I've also only used three paints outside of my usual prep - ProAcryl Blue, Sky Blue, and Neutral Grey. 

I suspect they'll be reasonably quick paint jobs - goal is to be able to use them at the table, and be distinct enough to not only be visible but also can recognize what kind of mech it is from typical tabletop distances.  Besides, they're relatively small, so it's not like I can go full insanity on the detail anyways, plus they're relaxing to paint. 

• Like 3

Few days ago the Wolverine got some paint as well!

20230826_015519.thumb.jpg.d8185474119839f0f2934bb40d89e5a4.jpg

20230826_015523.thumb.jpg.c9199d1435700a0a63276e6ee383d0f6.jpg

Basically blocking in the blue, although I'm tempted to add in a bit more.  Something doesn't quite feel "right", as if it needs a bit more of "something", but we are also in the initial blocking in phase here.

• Like 5

Carrier Reinforcements have arrived.

20230826_142452.thumb.jpg.c462d66b90e00d2c87e9261d6f45d729.jpg

Primed and prepped the minis from "A Game of Armored Combat" using my standard black primer, Warm Grey drybrush, followed by Bright Ivory drybrush.

Back row: BattleMaster, Thunderbolt, Awesome, and Catapault

Front row: Shadow Hawk, Wolverine, Commando, Locust

I think I've also semi-worked out what that second accent will be - Royal Purple.  Why?  Because as much as I originally liked the idea of light grey, it just didn't quite feel right, so we'll see what happens.  Plus, y'know, purple.

• Like 6

20230827_122808.thumb.jpg.f656598d24ef7a18be71122cd52083be.jpg

20230827_122821.thumb.jpg.5dc00944da3d7bd46cb375048c0bb0c7.jpg

So first up, a little bit of a change in the scheme I'm doing.  This way will require more work, as well as a fair bit more edge highlighting, but I greatly prefer there being a nice overall BLUE theme to things.  That and it means only one accent colour, which will be handy.

20230827_122421.thumb.jpg.d9dd1e00667258dea58ce66dea21b159.jpg

And here's where we are after yesterday's painting...

• Like 5

When I discovered all the mech stl’s out there, I went a bit wild and print and painted a bunch. Haven’t played since I was a kid, so I played a game. It’s definitely more rules crunchy than my friends were expecting, but my brain fell right back into it and I could calculate the to hit for ER large laser at 8hexes, no problem, lol.

I used white dice for walk, and red for run, then the number for spaces moved. We had challenged remembering who all did what on their last turn. This helped us tremendously.

Edited by Neatpete
  • Like 4

Nice!!

I've been having a bit of a craving to paint (and play) some BSRs lately.

I never played BT until just recently, and I find it e bit crunchy on the rules but not bad.  It just doesn't use as many minis as I'd like.  I've tried Alpha Strike once and it felt more like a proper number of minis and is a bit less crunchy.  I've picked up the full AS book and should probably actually read it.....

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Nice!!

I've been having a bit of a craving to paint (and play) some BSRs lately.

I never played BT until just recently, and I find it e bit crunchy on the rules but not bad.  It just doesn't use as many minis as I'd like.  I've tried Alpha Strike once and it felt more like a proper number of minis and is a bit less crunchy.  I've picked up the full AS book and should probably actually read it.....

I've heard a lot of good things about Alpha Strike - one of these days I'll give it a shot.  I also agree that Classic BattleTech can be somewhat crunchy with rules, and it can also be rather odd with how random rolls can work sometimes... 

• Like 3