Getting to Know You - September Edition

Thoramel

43 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 11: Do you perform any maintenance/repairs on your home or automobile on your own, or do you hire someone else to do it for you?

Dad and I do the oil and tires on all the vehicles ourselves. When he retired and sold the farm, he built himself a nice big shop with a hoist, so it's a pretty easy job. I also rewired the new circuit board in my furnace. I learned how to read wiring diagrams at a previous job. We also installed new taps in my bathroom. 

Being an old farmer, he can fix almost anything. Lately he's been bringing home lawnmowers from the dump in town and fixing them. He got a brand new one someone was throwing out. He cleaned the carburator and it works. 

• Like 10

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 11: Do you perform any maintenance/repairs on your home or automobile on your own, or do you hire someone else to do it for you?

Living in an apartment does have it's upsides of others repairing the apartment itself. However, for my vehicle, I'll pay for maintenance / repairs....until I figure out how to change my own oil and dispose of it properly. 😁

• Like 10

On 9/9/2023 at 11:26 AM, Thoramel said:

Question September 10: Do you prefer cats or kittens? Or if you're a dog type, do you prefer dogs or puppies?

I now like cats, dogs, and horses equally well. If they are friendly, so am I. 

I am saddened that some felines cause me to experience allergy symptoms. 

I fully accept the hypothesis that tame-ness in dogs and cats is simply them retaining the puppy-kitten behavior set for life. In wild animals, the “be friendly to everything so it doesn’t hurt us” of a pup or kit gives way to “I am fierce, mess with me at your peril” at some point in their lives. But, toward humankind, dogs and cats keep the puppy behavior going, and billions of dogs and cats later it was a successful adaption. 

Therefore any Cat or Dog is really just a kitten or pup grown large. I don’t see much difference. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Thoramel said:

I used to be able to handle a lot of basic stuff on the car, changing filters, headlights, tires, and such.  I can still jump start a car. Cars have gotten a lot more complicated and now I trust a local mechanic to do most of it.   I can still do basic home stuff, like if it needs a hammer or screw driver no problem.  Some stuff is getting harder, because getting old sucks.  HVAC I leave to the pros. 

• Like 10

A bit of both. It depends on how big the job is.

I'm a trained car mechanic and have enough tools to seasonally change my tires, but being in an apartment parking lot, I can't change my oil. So most jobs are made by garages.

As for home repairs, again, being in an apartment, I get the super to find someone to do the job rather than risking breaking stuff. But I've installed several ceiling fans in my life.

All in all, even though I *can* do most jobs, a properly trained and qualified handyman/mechanic will do it much faster and better than I.

• Like 10

Depends on what it is, and my available time. 

I will do a lot of home & car repairs, but there is a lot I won't take on, usually for either time or reasons of responsibility/consequences.  For example, I almost never touch plumbing because water damage can be expensive.   If I do it myself (and I am capable of it) and screw up, I'm 100% responsible for the cost of repairing all the damage caused.   If I hire a licensed & insured plumber, and they screw up, they're responsible for the cost of repairs.  Oil changes on cars is another one that I hire out for reason of convenience and responsibility for the waste oil. 

Other things that are more about time, such as repairing an outlet, running camera system or ethernet wiring, and/or refinishing our back deck, I'll do if I can make the time. 

• Like 9

On 9/9/2023 at 6:26 PM, Thoramel said:

Busy day today, sorry for being so late. Here's a couple of questions for the weekend.

Question September 9: Do you have a normal morning routine? If so what is it?

Question September 10: Do you prefer cats or kittens? Or if you're a dog type, do you prefer dogs or puppies?

9th - Morning Routine.

Get up, Wash/Shower. Walk Brutus.

Go to work or when having a day off, do the groceries, then have breakfast.

10th. Yes. They are both cute.

11th.

Automobile - I hire someone.

Home - I try to do things myself ( despite hating it) when necessary I hire someone.

• Like 9

Usually we do it ourselves for the house. I'm trying to get the house painted by the end of the month, but it's taking a long time due to only having weekends free to paint, and the general layout of the house. I have to get on the roof to paint several spots, and I hate doing that. I'll probably hire someone to do it next time, I'm getting too old and worn down to be doing that. My back hurts for days after being up there.

As for automobiles, I take it to a shop. I'd like to learn to do more myself though. If I lived where I could have a bigger garage and have a lift and a hoist I probably would. My back issues won't let me crawl under cars.

• Like 9

I do a bunch myself for both.  Car, I'll do brakes, suspension, stuff like that.  I avoid things that involve fluids, like oil changes, as I'd rather not have to deal with the mess and disposal.

Home, I have done construction and repair, plumbing and electrical, in the past.  I dislike plumbing due to the risks involved if there is a leak.  And I dislike anything roofing related, because of the heights.

Now I'm more likely do hire someone just due to the time it would take me. 

But I still like playing with my tools.  Have to replace the shed doors this fall, once it gets cool enough for me to comfortably work outside.

• Like 8

On 9/2/2023 at 11:33 AM, Thoramel said:

Question September 3: What's your favorite thing to do on a lazy Sunday (or any day) when you have no other responsibilities?

I've settled into an old lady routine and I'm loving it. My boyfriend and I sleep in, make a nice breakfast together, and do the crossword. We circle anything we didn't know along the way, and then when we're done, we look those up! Afterward, we go for a walk in the park together or I drop him off at chess club and I go to the nature preserve and get excited about plants and birds. Then we play board games in the evening!

On 9/9/2023 at 12:26 PM, Thoramel said:

ALL DOGS AND PUPPIES ALL THE TIME. :wub: But cats and kittens are absolutely adorable too!!

5 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Before my surgeries, I did it myself. I love fixing things!

Fun fact: I was almost a car mechanic in high school but I was too smol to push the tires....

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Yes.

I do do repairs and maintenance, but I hire Pros to do the rest.

I was a mechanic right out of college waiting for the Microcomputer to come into existence.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Thoramel said:

I pretty much do everything I can.  I did pay to have brakes done in my truck, but I lube and do oil changes to this day.  In the house, I paid someone to install a metal roof two years ago, and they tore off the upper chimney and reframed the roof - money well spent. This summer I tore the rest of the chimney out, rebuilt the foundation, reframed the wall to accommodate two new windows and then sealed/insulated.  I need to finish installing new outdoor outlets, install the windows then install a rain screen and siding.  TBH, taping and mudding the drywall on the inside is the part I dread the most!  After that, I’ll build the cabinetry for that wall.  

Some people think the DIY thing is laudable or noble or something, but I know the truth: it’s a compulsive illness!

where it started:IMG_0113.jpeg.9048151f959413fbe1fcb7a8a682a217.jpeg

replacing the rot:

IMG_3290.jpeg.b0cc41a7e8e357c39c6aeebb27f631a8.jpeg

where it’s going:

IMG_3378.jpeg.fa9741149b520c5b629e2400f53c7946.jpeg

Edited by Count Urlik
  • Like 11

4 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Like many others, I'll do what I can, but I also know enough to know when it's time to pay a professional. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Thoramel said:

For the car, I only do really basic simple things (inflating tires, refilling washer fluid, replacing wiper blades).  For the more complex tasks, from oil changes on up, I'd rather spend the money than spend the time.  Really, that is my deciding factor: is the time I would spend, including potentially looking up how to do something, worth more than the amount it would cost to hire a professional?  Usually the answer is yes.

For the house, though, I do most of the maintenance myself, for the same reason: it often costs more than I am willing to spend to hire a professional for basic maintenance.  But if something requires a professional, I have no problem with calling one.  But I am generally pretty capable with simple stuff.  I remember in early 2020 we were looking to get some ceiling fans installed in our still-new house, but because of Covid it was hard to find a handyman willing to come into the house to do the installation.  So I just installed the four of them myself, and exactly zero of them have fallen down in the three years since!  And they all work properly!

• Like 11