Getting to Know You - September Edition

Thoramel

6 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 11: Do you perform any maintenance/repairs on your home or automobile on your own, or do you hire someone else to do it for you?

My FIL and Husband are currently working on replacing our deck that was apparently rotting.

I try to fix things that I feel are in my control but I'm not gonna like...rip out plumbing or electrical myself. I know when to hire out and have no shame in that.

• Like 11

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 11: Do you perform any maintenance/repairs on your home or automobile on your own, or do you hire someone else to do it for you?

I prefer to hire out when I can.  I can change wiper blades and lights, though, and I've changed tires and batteries a couple times as well.

I'm even less capable when it comes to home repairs.  Although I did get pretty good at building Sauder "furniture" while in my mid-twenties, that's the closest I get.

• Like 10

13 hours ago, Thoramel said:

I do maintenance around my apartment when I can, I don't like disturbing my landlord when I'm perfectly capable of doing the odd job.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Thoramel said:

I do all of my own work on my vintage cars, and the basics on my daily driver.  Diagnosing computer controlled systems, reading codes, etc. are outside of my wheel house - so I leave that to the pros.

House maintenance is something I'm still learning after so many years renting.  I've done a few things, but hardy consider myself skilled.

The Egg

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Egg of Coot said:

Diagnosing computer controlled systems, reading codes, etc. are outside of my wheel house - so I leave that to the pros.

So leave the easy stuff to the pros?  Reading codes is plug in the scanner and reading what it says.  The computer will tell you what is wrong, unless it is the computer.  Then you replace the computer.  Unplug and unscrew the computer.  Costly but easy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

On 9/9/2023 at 12:26 PM, Thoramel said:

Busy day today, sorry for being so late. Here's a couple of questions for the weekend.

Question September 9: Do you have a normal morning routine? If so what is it?

Question September 10: Do you prefer cats or kittens? Or if you're a dog type, do you prefer dogs or puppies?

Morning routine is usually up, dress, wake up kids, start packing lunches and assist with breakfast if needed, head to the treadmill for 30ish minutes, then coffee/breakfast and work.  If it's a day I need to be in the office, there is no treadmill time and I'm out the door by 7 to pick up coffee for my carpool folks and the walk happens over lunchtime instead.  

Kittens and puppies are always adorable but we don't have any pets other than a handful of tetras in a tank.  I don't have the mental or emotional space to take care of animals on top of my offspring.  😉 

• Like 10

On 9/11/2023 at 8:44 AM, Thoramel said:

House, yes.  I know the basics of home maintenance (paint, drywall, plumbing, electrical, framing) but also am well aware of when I need a pro brought in.  With regards to the car... I know they go vroom...  I can change a tire and fill fluids but that is the extent of my abilities on that front.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 12: Have you ever been through a corn maze? If you're somewhere they don't grow corn, is there anything equivalent to a giant maze cut into a corn field?

Nope, never.

Though we do have corn fields, I have never seen a corn maze offered. Feels like I'm missing out.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 12: Have you ever been through a corn maze? If you're somewhere they don't grow corn, is there anything equivalent to a giant maze cut into a corn field?

Some of the back roads around here qualify.... 

• Haha 14

On 9/11/2023 at 6:44 AM, Thoramel said:

It depends on the thing.  For the current place, I only do basic work, since it's that weird kind of thing apartment condos fall into, so 90% of the work I want to get done has to go through the condo board and/or management, which is annoying. 

As for vehicles, I currently do not own one, but my old Corolla I did ALL the work myself, because it was easier, and I enjoyed it.  That and it was a LOT cheaper on the wallet.  For my next vehicle though, such will depend on whether or not I'm still in an apartment - if I have a garage I can do work in, I'll do a bunch of the wrench twisting myself, be a use I have the tools and most of the knowledge. 

5 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

So leave the easy stuff to the pros?  Reading codes is plug in the scanner and reading what it says.  The computer will tell you what is wrong, unless it is the computer.  Then you replace the computer.  Unplug and unscrew the computer.  Costly but easy.

Codes only tell you what's being affected, they don't tell you what's wrong.  They can help with troubleshooting, however it could be a loose cable, damaged wiring, the thing itself that's throwing the code, leaky vacuum (so many things still run on vacuum), something upstream or something downstream.  They're a tool.  Unfortunately, far too many seem to think it's a magic box that tells you what to replace and swear by it. 

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

Not a corn maze, but I have been in a 3d maze that was in New Zealdn (I don't remember the city, but it has a LOT of illusions there, including a house where things can "fall upwards", including a chair you can ride on.  May have had things changed though, since I was there over 25 years ago... 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Yes. we have corn mazes around here, and yes I've been through them, although I was herding relatively small children the last time I remember going through one, so that may have detracted from the exprience.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Thoramel said:

We did one just a few years ago, when the boy was still young.  It was fun, but I’ve always had this lurking in the back of my head  

image.jpeg.b023cf8f843886836fa404920dfde692.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 7