Getting to Know You - September Edition

Thoramel

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/8/2023 at 6:52 AM, Thoramel said:

Question September 8: Other than brushes, what's a tool you use for mini painting that you can't go without?

Optivisor with lights, as my eyes don't see close anymore.  Beyond that, my paint journal where I record the colors I use because my brain doesn't do that well anymore.

On 9/11/2023 at 7:44 AM, Thoramel said:

Question September 11: Do you perform any maintenance/repairs on your home or automobile on your own, or do you hire someone else to do it for you?

I do all home repairs/building myself, except for anything to do with Gas (other than simple hook-ups that is) or the roof (I apparently have developed a fear of heights somewhere in the last 15 years or so).  Got up on the roof 3 weeks ago and had a total panic attack.  Never felt like that before in my life.  Not going back up there again.

• Like 10

On 9/11/2023 at 7:44 AM, Thoramel said:

Question September 11: Do you perform any maintenance/repairs on your home or automobile on your own, or do you hire someone else to do it for you?

Previous me used to do minor tasks (change a tire, fix a lock).

Current me usually goes for the third option: Ignore / Don’t Fix

Hire someone is the last resort. 

• Like 9

On 9/11/2023 at 10:44 PM, Thoramel said:

Depends on what it is - automobile goes to someone else except for the basics.
Home - try and do myself unless it's something I can't do/or is dangerous (e.g. Electricals are only allowed to be done by licensed electricians here)

8 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 12: Have you ever been through a corn maze? If you're somewhere they don't grow corn, is there anything equivalent to a giant maze cut into a corn field?

Maybe

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 12: Have you ever been through a corn maze? If you're somewhere they don't grow corn, is there anything equivalent to a giant maze cut into a corn field?

Despite the abundance of corn here, and despite the OLD family homestead growing corn, I cannot say that ever have. I think I got turned around in the rows once as a child, but that was a LONG time ago, and I was would have been with one or both parents. 

• Like 8

I can remember going through not!maze corn, and seeing plenty of corn mazes, but I'm not sure I've actually gone through a proper corn maze.  

I have had a rural cornfield enough upbringing that driving to and from reapercon I found myself observing the corn.  Kentucky was a bit spindly looking and drying, Tennessee scraggly and totally dry, and I'm not sure there were ten whole corn fields in all of the parts of Arkansas and Texas I drove through.  What there was was dry, and one Texan field had been harvested.  It was so nice to get through Cincinnati on the way home and see fields that were still mostly green and bushy.  

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 12: Have you ever been through a corn maze?

Never have I ever. 
(Wow, I keep adding things to the NHIE list.)

If you're somewhere they don't grow corn,…

It’s mostly Cotton, Sorghum, and Soybeans. 

…is there anything equivalent to a giant maze cut into a corn field?

About ten(?) years ago somebody built a maze out of Hay Bails. It was fall / pumpkin / halloween / Turkey day themed. It was out in farmland a short drive away from the Metromess. 

I saw it advertised but i never explored it. 

• Like 10

19 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Fields of corn are few and far between here, but there are some distant mazes here. And no, I've never been to any of them.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 13: Coffee, yes or no? If yes, do you buy pre ground coffee or whole bean? And are you particular about where you get your coffee?

Not really. I do enjoy a cup from time to time, but I don't need it to function. Generally don't care about particulars, although I will avoid buying it from over-hyped and over-priced establishments. When I buy it, it's pre ground.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 13: Coffee, yes or no?

Yes

If yes, do you buy pre-ground coffee or whole bean?

Neither?
Dealing with beans and grounds is for whoever makes my coffee. 

And are you particular about where you get your coffee?

Yes. 

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 13: Coffee, yes or no? If yes, do you buy pre ground coffee or whole bean? And are you particular about where you get your coffee?

Yes!!!

I use mainly coffeepads and sometimes instant with a flavour.

Normally I order online from Denmark which is cheaper than buying it here.

• Like 8