Getting to Know You - September Edition

Thoramel

34 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 13: Coffee, yes or no? If yes, do you buy pre ground coffee or whole bean? And are you particular about where you get your coffee?

Sort of?

I like things with coffee in them like Tiramisu or a nice Chocolate Mocha, but I can't just drink a cup of coffee.

• Like 9

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 13: Coffee, yes or no? If yes, do you buy pre ground coffee or whole bean? And are you particular about where you get your coffee?

Yes

Whole Bean

As long as is is a nice light or medium roast I am fine.  Please don't burn the beans to death (looking at you Starbucks 😒).

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

YES!

If I get up before LadyC, I will use pre-ground coffee, if she's awake, I grind my own. I enjoy strong coffee but not burned [re: Charbucks]. And our nearest Casey's has good coffee [it's on the way to town].

• Like 9

YES to coffee (and tea).

Though with my poor sense of smell, I can't appreciate the delicious subtleties of freshly ground lightly roasted beans, so pre ground works. Even I'll even drink instant coffee in a pinch (like this morning because the coffee machine is down). Also because of my poor senses, high end coffee joints are lost on me. I've never even set foot in a Starbucks or the like.

I like to traumatize coffee lovers when I tell them I can drink day old reheated Folgers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

I am an anomaly, I do not and have never drunk coffee.  I did drink tea, but my predominate source of caffeine was Dr Peper.  I once lost weight by drinking 72 oz of DP in a day.  Reducing to that level let me lose weight.

• Like 9

No. Coffee can smell nice, but is inedible even as an ingredient in chocolate cake. 

Somehow in college experimenting with some upperclassmen, we did find putting Kailua in chocolate chip cookies made them taste like peanut butter.  No clue how.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 12: Have you ever been through a corn maze? If you're somewhere they don't grow corn, is there anything equivalent to a giant maze cut into a corn field?

Yes. There was one outside Lethbridge and I went with my Church group one year. It would have been a lot more fun if they hadn't just asked to be guided through most of it. 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Coffee, yes, though I prefer tea.  I prefer ground for convenience, but will grind my own if I have to.  We make it at home rarely and have a preference for Costa Rican beans. 

Out and about I will go through whatever drive-thru is closest and use as much sugar and creamer as necessary to make it drinkable. 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Oh geez, I’m a walking stereotype here.  I started roasting my own green coffee back in the early 90s in Portland.  I have no time or energy for that foolishness anymore, so I instead buy fancy whole espresso beans from Vivace.  It’s a local coffee roaster (seattle area) whose owner (David Schomer) is the godfather of fussy espresso making.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Thoramel said:

I like coffee, but not enough to drink it on a regular basis.  If a free cup is offered, I will sometimes say yes, but I don't believe I have ever actually purchased a cup of coffee for myself.  My wife doesn't drink it at all.  If I am drinking coffee, though, I generally drink it black.  Obviously I have no preferred brand since I drink it so rarely.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Yes, whole bean is the best 👌. Tend to do Costco or sams club for some cheaper bulk buying and the coffee is decent. Get special stuff from central market. 

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Before my boyfriend, no. I loved the smell of coffee but just couldn't handle the taste. Turns out that I just wasn't having nice coffee! He grinds his own beans and I've since discovered that I really like cortados! But it's a nice, small treat every now and then, not a caffeine reliance. With tums.... 😆

6 hours ago, ejala said:

No. Coffee can smell nice, but is inedible even as an ingredient in chocolate cake. 

Somehow in college experimenting with some upperclassmen, we did find putting Kailua in chocolate chip cookies made them taste like peanut butter.  No clue how.

I've put coffee in chocolate cake, it's delicious! But somehow it still just tastes like the box for all that effort....

I'm not sure how you got to the second part but it sounds like a great future science experiment. 

• Like 8

On 9/12/2023 at 11:30 AM, Thoramel said:

Question September 12: Have you ever been through a corn maze? If you're somewhere they don't grow corn, is there anything equivalent to a giant maze cut into a corn field?

No.  Im too much of a city rat and would likely disappear forever in one… 

11 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Oooh heck yes!  Meg Ryan in the diner scene yes!  
I used a lump sum payment from work a few years back to buy one of those fully automatic espresso machines that grinds the beans, makes the coffee, spits out the grounds.   I have settled on a mix of a couple different beans I get from Costco as they are good and come in bags larger than a toddler.  

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Nope.  Don't touch the stuff.

I've had it a few times, the cheap stuff that is, but never got a taste for it.  I'd need to add too much sugar and/or cream to make it palatable, and by that point in time you're really just drinking sugared cream.

I'll stick with tea or a diet cola.

• Like 9